Return to General Talk

Here Comes The ... Baby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.

Whether it's not the '19th Century' or not, some people, a lot of people, still consider having children, shoot, having sex, out of wed-lock, wrong. You may not consider it wrong and you are entitled to your opinion, as are they.

What I meant by 'not the 19th century' is that the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely minuscule, especially amongst the generation currently raising children. So the kid's not going to get any hassle over it, as it's as common to be born without as within.

fortunately...you're probably right here in the states as well. :-[

Fixed.

Just because something is 'acceptable', does not make it right, beneficial, healthy, or moral. I'll stick with 'unfortunately' since I was referencing the 'it's as common to be born without as within.' statement, not the children being harassed because of it. It's unfortunate what kids have to go through because of the stupidity and irresponsibility of their parents.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:33 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.

Whether it's not the '19th Century' or not, some people, a lot of people, still consider having children, shoot, having sex, out of wed-lock, wrong. You may not consider it wrong and you are entitled to your opinion, as are they.

What I meant by 'not the 19th century' is that the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely minuscule, especially amongst the generation currently raising children. So the kid's not going to get any hassle over it, as it's as common to be born without as within.

Fixed.

Just because something is 'acceptable', does not make it right, beneficial, healthy, or moral. I'll stick with 'unfortunately' since I was referencing the 'it's as common to be born without as within.' statement, not the children being harassed because of it. It's unfortunate what kids have to go through because of the stupidity and irresponsibility of their parents.

I understand your point and agree in certain circumstances but, unless I missed something, weren't these parents trying to do the and have their child be raised in a 2 parent home?? I didn't read every post here so I might have missed something.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Fixed.

I understand your point and agree in certain circumstances but, unless I missed something, weren't these parents trying to do the and have their child be raised in a 2 parent home?? I didn't read every post here so I might have missed something.

This may be their objective, their intention, but rarely does this actually work in the child's favor. Remarrying is worse than divorcing, imo. The kid's going to feel as if they're not as important anymore, more kids could be made leaving the initial kid without a real 'place'. The parent obviously made a bad judgement call initially. What makes her/him think this time will be any different?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Fixed.

We've kind of gone off on a tangent are talking in a general sense now, not really directly discussing the article.

Anyway, Omaha, I was referencing the "the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely miniscule" part. Although, I'd argue that what the kids go through isn't because of the 'stupid and irresponsible' actions of their parents, but because of the stupid and irresponsible actions the the people who judge either the kid or the parent based on when the child was born.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:43 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Fixed.

We've kind of gone off on a tangent are talking in a general sense now, not really directly discussing the article.

Anyway, Omaha, I was referencing the "the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely miniscule" part. Although, I'd argue that what the kids go through isn't because of the 'stupid and irresponsible' actions of their parents, but because of the stupid and irresponsible actions the the people who judge either the kid or the parent based on when the child was born.

No, BritSox clearly stated that this wasn't an issue in England. I don't believe it's much of an issue here either.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk