Here Comes The ... Baby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Here Comes The ... Baby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:25 pm

BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.

Whether it's not the '19th Century' or not, some people, a lot of people, still consider having children, shoot, having sex, out of wed-lock, wrong. You may not consider it wrong and you are entitled to your opinion, as are they.

What I meant by 'not the 19th century' is that the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely minuscule, especially amongst the generation currently raising children. So the kid's not going to get any hassle over it, as it's as common to be born without as within.

Ahhh......I didn't even bother to see that this happened in London. Just "assumed" it was here in the States. Whoops. !+)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:55 am

What, even with all the 'hilarious' British Teeth jokes? :-D
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:52 pm

BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.

Whether it's not the '19th Century' or not, some people, a lot of people, still consider having children, shoot, having sex, out of wed-lock, wrong. You may not consider it wrong and you are entitled to your opinion, as are they.

What I meant by 'not the 19th century' is that the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely minuscule, especially amongst the generation currently raising children. So the kid's not going to get any hassle over it, as it's as common to be born without as within.

Unfortunately...you're probably right here in the states as well. :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:im a bastard child and it's great. ;-D

but i agree with omaha. the wedding, fine if you must. but going to the reception?? given the state the baby is in it's a heartless act.

I wouldn't care if I'm a bastard...wouldn't bother me a bit.

Sperm meets egg causes life...thats how it works. Marriage has nothing to do with that..doesn't effect it at all.

Doesn't effect the process, the science of copulation, but it does effect the outcome of that child. Pull some statistics and check out the number of kids raised by single parents in prison compared to kids raised in 2-parent homes. It's really a no-brainer. Moms and dads balance themselves out perfectly.

No middle ground?? Either a single parent in prison or a 2 parent hime?? No other options??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

but i agree with omaha. the wedding, fine if you must. but going to the reception?? given the state the baby is in it's a heartless act.

Sperm meets egg causes life...thats how it works. Marriage has nothing to do with that..doesn't effect it at all.

Doesn't effect the process, the science of copulation, but it does effect the outcome of that child. Pull some statistics and check out the number of kids raised by single parents in prison compared to kids raised in 2-parent homes. It's really a no-brainer. Moms and dads balance themselves out perfectly.

No middle ground?? Either a single parent in prison or a 2 parent hime?? No other options??

Not a single parent in prison. Maybe I worded that funny. I meant the number of inmates who were raised either by single parents or no parents at all compared to the number raised by 2 parents. The numbers are astronomical. If I get a chance I'll see what I can dig up.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Not a single parent in prison. Maybe I worded that funny. I meant the number of inmates who were raised either by single parents or no parents at all compared to the number raised by 2 parents. The numbers are astronomical. If I get a chance I'll see what I can dig up.

Now I got it although that isn't really the case here. They either got married or were getting married. Maybe not an ideal situation but the child might never know.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:19 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

fortunately...you're probably right here in the states as well. :-[

Fixed.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:20 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I doubt it's as simple as you are making it out to be. Too often correlation is confused with causation.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:22 pm

"The Hamburgler was survived by his longtime companion, Mayor McCheese."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Found this interesting...

Father Absence and Youth Incarceration

Cynthia C. Harper1 and Sara S. McLanahan2

This study measured the likelihood of youth incarceration among adolescent males from father-absent households, using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (N=34,031 person-years). At baseline, the adolescents ranged from 14 to 17 years, and the incarceration outcome measure spanned ages 15 to 30 years. This study tested whether risk factors concentrated in father-absent households explained the apparent effects of father absence. Results from longitudinal event-history analysis showed that although a sizable portion of the risk that appeared to be due to father absence could actually be attributed to other factors, such as teen motherhood, low parent education, racial inequalities, and poverty, adolescents in father-absent households still faced elevated incarceration risks. The adolescents who faced the highest incarceration risks, however, were those in stepparent families, including father–stepmother families. Coresidential grandparents may help attenuate this risk, although remarriage and residential instability increased it. Social policies to support children should broaden beyond an emphasis on marriage to address the risks faced by adolescents living in stepfamilies as well.

link
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk