Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Here Comes The ... Baby

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:01 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:A number of questions abound about this story, but I'm shocked that a new mother could leave her baby in the hospital, in that condition, to get married and go to the reception.
I was thinking the same thing. Most mothers won't leave a healthy baby. Her baby is less than 2 lbs. and in an incubator and she goes to the wedding?

And the reception! I can almost, almost, understand the wedding, but the reception?! How was the food and how much did you have to drink before you went back to the hospital and your 1 lb 12 oz. baby?

They did invite people who made it a point to be there. They also paid for the hall/food/etc. I think they had an obligation to go.

Obligation?! How about your premature baby?! That's your 'obligation'.

If your friends and family can't understand that you're not there because you just had a baby, you're probably better to have limited contact with them in the first place.

It's a tough call.

They were only missing for a few hours and the baby was in a hospital under professional care. The truth is, the baby would be in that state whether the parents were there or not. I dont think it was a huge deal that they left for a few hours to get married.

Actually, that's a decent point. What could the mother have done at the hostpital that the paid professionals couldn't do? With the costs involved with a big wedding, that's something to consider as well. It's only a couple of hours at most, so I don't fault her there.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the baby wasn't scheduled to be born out of wedlock (a bastard child), but due to being premature, it was, so the parents probably figured it was best to get the marriage official ASAP for the kid's future.

So I do understand going to the wedding. The reception is a different matter completely for me. I do not see the need for the parents to go to the reception.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Here Comes The ... Baby

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:42 pm

acsguitar wrote:Hopefully she didn't get drunk and pregnant again from the groomsman

:-b

For a while there, Omaha, I thought you were bringing another lad into the world. }:-)

Seems kind of odd to me as to why they would go on with the wedding festivities altogether considering the bride just gave birth to a premature child. But for what it's worth, it's their big day just as they planned it, even though certain things didn't go over as planned. I could understand the wedding ceremony itself and all, but I know if I were in that situation, something like this, no matter the time/effort/expense put in and the magnitude of the day, would just have to wait.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby BritSox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:45 pm

What difference does beign born in or out of wedlock matter? This isn't the 19th century. Waiting wouldn't have made a difference to the kid. I'd think it was probably the expense and inconvenience to family and friends that made the difference.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:25 pm

BritSox wrote:What difference does beign born in or out of wedlock matter? This isn't the 19th century. Waiting wouldn't have made a difference to the kid. I'd think it was probably the expense and inconvenience to family and friends that made the difference.

One time another kid and I were arguing about something in high school and I called him a "stupid b*****d". He came at me with everything he had. Put up one heck of a fight. I never thought much about it until a couple of days later it was explained to me that he was born out of wedlock. Can't say I blame him for being upset with my choice of words in that situation, and it explained why he put up such a fight.

Even in today's world, quite a few people judge not only the kid, but also the parents when a kid is born out of wedlock. Usually the mother gets the most blame and is the target of the attack, but the father is responsible for it as well. Most people will fight to defend their parents, even when their parents did something stupid.

Seems to me that these parents (in the story) screwed up and got pregnant before getting married, made plans to fix that problem best they could, got handed a situation that caused an issue with that, and then tried to fix it the best they could. Can't say I blame them for that, as being a bastard child carries a lot more weight than those of us who are not can fully understand. So I don't blame the parents for getting married on schedule (between this and the fact that paid professionals were looking after the baby for a couple of hours tops).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BritSox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:49 pm

BritSox wrote:Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.

Whether it's not the '19th Century' or not, some people, a lot of people, still consider having children, shoot, having sex, out of wed-lock, wrong. You may not consider it wrong and you are entitled to your opinion, as are they.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:01 pm

im a bastard child and it's great. ;-D

but i agree with omaha. the wedding, fine if you must. but going to the reception?? given the state the baby is in it's a heartless act.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:15 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:im a bastard child and it's great. ;-D

but i agree with omaha. the wedding, fine if you must. but going to the reception?? given the state the baby is in it's a heartless act.

I wouldn't care if I'm a bastard...wouldn't bother me a bit.

Sperm meets egg causes life...thats how it works. Marriage has nothing to do with that..doesn't effect it at all.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:48 pm

acsguitar wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:im a bastard child and it's great. ;-D

I wouldn't care if I'm a bastard...wouldn't bother me a bit.

Sperm meets egg causes life...thats how it works. Marriage has nothing to do with that..doesn't effect it at all.

Doesn't effect the process, the science of copulation, but it does effect the outcome of that child. Pull some statistics and check out the number of kids raised by single parents in prison compared to kids raised in 2-parent homes. It's really a no-brainer. Moms and dads balance themselves out perfectly.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:43 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:Considering 40% of British children are born outside marriage though... it's a catch-all insult, like 'wanker.' The truth or otherwise of the allegatiion is rather beside the point.

Whether it's not the '19th Century' or not, some people, a lot of people, still consider having children, shoot, having sex, out of wed-lock, wrong. You may not consider it wrong and you are entitled to your opinion, as are they.

What I meant by 'not the 19th century' is that the proportion of modern Britons who do hold that opinion is absolutely minuscule, especially amongst the generation currently raising children. So the kid's not going to get any hassle over it, as it's as common to be born without as within.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk