One MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

One MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

One MVP

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:22 pm

I was talking to my wife of all people and she had a brilliant idea.
Leave the CY and Hank Aaron awards for the NL and AL and have one MVP for all of MLB. I thought about it and I really like this idea. Anybody else?
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 325)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby brewcrew4you » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:31 pm

That would be cool, but you'd have two problems:

1) making the players respect the Hank Aaron as much as they did the old MVP

2) Weighing the historical importance of the new MVP versus the old... a lot of the greats (and the writers who vote for the Hall) use awards as a bench mark - so we would need to note that anyone who won a new MVP was winning a different award, and that those that won both the MVP and the Aaron in years past isn't necessarily as impressive as it would be to do under your system.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1192
Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in a bunker 50m below sea level

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:43 pm

i think the same problem would occur of the mvp having to come from a playoff team, weather it be the national or american.

what mlb should do is what the nhl does. they have an mvp and a most outstanding player award. for example this years mvp could be jeter or johan and the most outstanding could be hafner or ortiz.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:46 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:i think the same problem would occur of the mvp having to come from a playoff team, weather it be the national or american.

what mlb should do is what the nhl does. they have an mvp and a most outstanding player award. for example this years mvp could be jeter or johan and the most outstanding could be hafner or ortiz.
But doesn't more awards take away from the prestige?
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 325)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i think the same problem would occur of the mvp having to come from a playoff team, weather it be the national or american.

what mlb should do is what the nhl does. they have an mvp and a most outstanding player award. for example this years mvp could be jeter or johan and the most outstanding could be hafner or ortiz.
But doesn't more awards take away from the prestige?


not im my mind. it would just validate the players who deserve validation.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:11 pm

That is how most sports do it. NFL, NBA, NHL, etc... So I can see having one MVP.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Sometimes it's hard enough picking an MVP from just one of the two leagues. :-[

Imagine the "Pujols/Howard/Jeter/Hafner MVP?" debate. 8-o :-°
Image
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3324
Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:54 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Sometimes it's hard enough picking an MVP from just one of the two leagues. :-[

Imagine the "Pujols/Howard/Jeter/Hafner MVP?" debate. 8-o :-°


Pujols ;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby WhiteHot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Sometimes it's hard enough picking an MVP from just one of the two leagues. :-[

Imagine the "Pujols/Howard/Jeter/Hafner MVP?" debate. 8-o :-°


Pujols ;-D


Howard ;-D ;-D ;-D
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1622
Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Argentina

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:55 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
Yoda wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Sometimes it's hard enough picking an MVP from just one of the two leagues. :-[

Imagine the "Pujols/Howard/Jeter/Hafner MVP?" debate. 8-o :-°


Pujols ;-D


Howard ;-D ;-D ;-D


No way. Pujols is easily the best player in baseball this year. I doubt I'd even put Howard 2nd on the list in the National League.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact