Jeff Passan's Awards - Yahoo! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Passan's Awards - Yahoo!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:00 pm

Eric Chavez should get the AL Gold Glove at 3B.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I still can't see how there is even an argument for the NL MVP. It's clearly Pujols.

You mean the guy who's team has collapsed (despite his 8th inning 3 run HR the other night)? Meanwhile, Howard has propelled his Phillies from far back to contention. I think its clearly Howard.

I agree. Pujols is the better player having the better statistical season, but because this is for the most valuable player to one's team, Howard deserves it more.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm

• The Didn't Mom Tell You Not to Play With Machetes! Award (for, um, insanity?): Reliever Ugueth Urbina, who, as of the last report on him in May, remained in a Venezuelan jail for allegedly attacking ranch hands with lighter fluid and a machete.

Jesus, I completely forgot about this story.

FREE URBINA!!!
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:09 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I still can't see how there is even an argument for the NL MVP. It's clearly Pujols.

You mean the guy who's team has collapsed (despite his 8th inning 3 run HR the other night)? Meanwhile, Howard has propelled his Phillies from far back to contention. I think its clearly Howard.

I agree. Pujols is the better player having the better statistical season, but because this is for the most valuable player to one's team, Howard deserves it more.

have you guys seen the Card's lineup?

Pujols is the reason they're still in first.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:29 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I think all of his MVPs and CY Young choices are wrong.
Wow, even Santana?

Yep I'll bet my entire savings, my car, my house that Santana wins the Cy...

Sorry, I read it wrong there. I thought he had Verlander winning CY Young instead. Santana is the only 1 he got right.

Ortiz = AL MVP
Howard = NL MVP
Santana = AL CY
Webb = NL CY

I think these are clearly the choices.

Clearly the choices? I strongly disagree.

Ortiz and Howard aren't even in the top 2 on my MVP lists. Santana and Webb would get my Cy Young Awards, though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:33 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:
ScrappyDoo wrote:No Red Sox infielders winning the gold glove. Thats odd.

Lowell ought to be getting the 3B Gold Glove. He only has 6 E's to Crede's 10.
Errors aren't necessarily the best measurement of the best defender (although I can't speak for voters). That said I haven't really seen enough of both of them to decide who's really been better. While he isn't going to win the gold glove due to his tendency to boot some routine plays, Brandon Inge makes plays that Mike Lowell and Crede could only dream of making. That and he easily has the highest Range Factor (I know, it's an imperfect stat as well) among MLB regular third baseman. I wonder if that even gets any consideration from voters. And should the fact that Eric Chavez has missed a small handful of games count against him (not to mention a lowly 3.00 range factor which is treading mediocre territory)? I really have no clue what the voters look for in a gold glover actually.

Also, Leyland should be a no-brainer for AL manager of the year. The Tigers are going to the playoffs and have been in contention for the best record in baseball all year while being third from the bottom of the AL in OBP. Raise your hand if you even thought this team would even have a +.500 record. It's just not even close.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:28 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:Errors aren't necessarily the best measurement of the best defender (although I can't speak for voters). That said I haven't really seen enough of both of them to decide who's really been better. While he isn't going to win the gold glove due to his tendency to boot some routine plays, Brandon Inge makes plays that Mike Lowell and Crede could only dream of making. That and he easily has the highest Range Factor (I know, it's an imperfect stat as well) among MLB regular third baseman. I wonder if that even gets any consideration from voters. And should the fact that Eric Chavez has missed a small handful of games count against him (not to mention a lowly 3.00 range factor which is treading mediocre territory)? I really have no clue what the voters look for in a gold glover actually.

Inge would have my vote for the AL 3B gold glove. He leads the league by a wide margin both in RF and ZR. His problem is he does make a lot of errors. Because of that I wouldn't argue a Mike Lowell selection.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

The Cardinals are going to win the NL Central on the strength of his play. Without him, their team would be fighting to get 70 wins.

In the last 3 games, he's hit 2 three run shots. They ended up winning both games, and that's the reason they hold the 1.5 edge they have right now. If that's not being "clutch," I don't know what is. Over their 8 game losing streak, he went 8 for 25, which isn't certainly as good as he could do, but it wasn't his fault they collapsed.

As for Howard's Phillies, well atleast he has some good hitters to help him (like Utley, Rollins and Burrell). And they aren't even going to make the playoffs...

Pujols is the superior offensive player on the better team, where's the argument?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 pm

How can the "The Mark Prior/Kerry Wood Award (for excellence in injury)" award not go to Carl Pavano? lol.

Man missed the whole season with numerous injuries including the infamous "Buttocks" injury.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:07 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:And should the fact that Eric Chavez has missed a small handful of games count against him

If they've played most of the season, I don't count that against them. Just adjust for a slightly smaller season by pulling the E/GS ratio.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers