Why not nip it in the bud??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not nip it in the bud???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:You really think a 20 year old is going to turn down 1 million dollars?
Even if he doesn't take the money to play in Japan he now has a bargaining chip to negotiate thus driving up his price for a MLB team. Right now draftees have no other option but the Independent leagues and they don't pay jack. I just don't think it would be worth it for the handful of Japanese players they would sign after the draft.

What are you talking about? If no MLB team wanted me and I wanted to play baseball and a Japanese team offered me money to play I'd play. Also, 1.05 Million in the US would be more to me than 2 million in Japan. I wouldn't have to go to any independent league if I chose not to as an undrafted FA. Now if I was drafted and refused an MLB team's offer that would be different but what are the odds Luke Hochevar would have gone to Japan??? Not very good which is why I think the gentleman's agreement Japan and the US have goes against competitive nature. Japan would have to overwhelm a player to go the Japan. I also mentioned that only 2 teams consistently make profits in the Japanese league, which wouldn't help increase that ratio. It isn't a really successful venture in Japan. Plus, the MLB is the elite stage which all baseball is measured aaginst. It would be worth it. I was just using those figures are an example btw.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:00 am

I'm not talked about undrafted players. I'm talking about top draft picks. They get drafted and basically have to take what the club offers or wait until next year's draft. Now if Japan is open to them if they don't get the money they want they can sign a deal in Japan and re-enter the draft next year. At the very least it gives them a bargaining tool to get more money.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:31 am

wrveres wrote:Pogo is right on .

There is actaully a long history here. I can not remember the whole story, but there was a Japanese player that signed and then refused to play here in the MLB. (Homesick) MLB actually had a ban on Japanese players for quite sometime.

I'll look a little later and see if I can't dig up the story.

Interesting. There was also a (3b I think) Naga-something or other (no offense meant, I just don't remember the name) that agreed to a deal with the Mets a few years back that changed his mind and stayed in Japan.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers