Is this Ethical? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this Ethical?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this Ethical?

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 pm

In our league we have limits on bat games SP games and RP games. Well in the situation at the moment i'm in first place by 110 pts. I have 10 less bat games than the guy in second. He has only 13 more bat games the rest of the season which would be one day an 3 players the next day the way our league is setup to start 10 bats each day.

Well I just filled my RP limit on the 24th and SP limit on the 26th. Well the guy in second place has 1 RP game left and 2 SP games left. Well I got up today and he started 8 RP. Why would someone do this you know you only have 1 RP game left. Why pitch 8 players. I'm not sure if he will get pts for all these players or the best player being counted or the first player to get pts counted not sure.

But just lets say he gets pts for all these players would you call this ethical? Would you want to be in a league where limits don't matter? I'm kinda annoyed I emailed the commish. But he gave me some kinda answer that he wasn't sure and we go by what the site does. Well if the site lets him get totals for all these players he could end up with close to 15 more SP/RP games than me. What would you do about this if anything?
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Let me start by saying I believe limits are a joke. Everyone has a chance to spot start, everyone has a chance to play the "hot hand" off the WW for batting, and I just think limits on positions are plain pathetic.

Now, with that in mind he may not even notice that he had that many left. I doubt the system would suddenly break and allow him to get stats for all of them (it may even penalize him). If it's within the rules he can do it, and theres also a 50/50 chance this was unintentional.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Isn't this like a Hail Mary basically? I see nothing wrong with this if so. Everyone else has the same opportunity to do it too. If it doesn't work that way and he only gets points for one of the guys or whatever, who cares?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:55 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Isn't this like a Hail Mary basically? I see nothing wrong with this if so. Everyone else has the same opportunity to do it too. If it doesn't work that way and he only gets points for one of the guys or whatever, who cares?

So your saying someone can cheat to try to win a title he has no business winning. So I waste my time playing in a keeper league for 5 years. Only for someone to get 15 extra games than I have. When I had 3 starts left I start 3 players because that's what i'm suppost to do. When I have 3 RP games left I have Saito Nathan Torres active. They fill it up I bench them all. If I had 1 RP game left I wouldn't go out and add 10 guys to my lineup.

An the idea above that he doesn't know what he is doing is no where close. This guy will attempt anything to get ahead. I knew this was going to happen an the fact people agree with it makes me want to vomit. :-P
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby mrkrab2003 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:11 pm

sounds like someone has sour grapes. Seems like a completely legal move to me.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:22 pm

It's not legal and doesn't work I just got word back from the site we use that only 1 RP game and 2 SP games will be counted. An I guess the best one of 8 RP and 6 SP games will be counted. But it's still stupid in my opinion. He passes up starting Peavy today to start tomorrow. Josh Fogg,Clay Hensley,Chuck James,Hong-Chih Kuo,Wilfredo Ledezma, John Maine,Julian Tavarez,Jeff Weaver lol.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:25 pm

i dont get any of this.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigwords » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:17 pm

Yahoo, CBS Sportsline, and many other leagues don't have the technical capabilities to figure out on any given day, which innings came first, which starts came first, etc. So on that last day when you surpass your innings/games limit, everything counts. It's called "blowing out your innings" or whatever. Many league rules site are openly honest about this.

It's not against the rules. It's not unethical. One might call it a loophole, but it's a loophole that's available to the entire league. There are many ways in which fantasy baseball is unlike real baseball and this is one of them. If he's realized he's about to hit his limit, and made steps to get one last bit of push before season's end, I applaud him for his efforts, not only because he exploited that loophole, but because he reached the game limit to begin with.

I'd much rather play with enthusiastic competitors who do everything in their power to win than apathetic ones, who give up halfway through the season and never adjust their roster again.

That's my opinion at least.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dannahann » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:37 pm

If it's a YAHOO league here's their rule directly from the games/innings limits, verbatim: "All players active on the day a maximum is reached will receive credit for their stats." Not sure if it is YAHOO but if so it's said that all season long. Again assuming YAHOO, my take is just because someone didn't read the rules, it doesn't give him ANY right to complain about someone who obviously did.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:05 pm

dannahann wrote:If it's a YAHOO league here's their rule directly from the games/innings limits, verbatim: "All players active on the day a maximum is reached will receive credit for their stats." Not sure if it is YAHOO but if so it's said that all season long. Again assuming YAHOO, my take is just because someone didn't read the rules, it doesn't give him ANY right to complain about someone who obviously did.

It's sandbox and I already checked and he will only get credit for 13 bat games 1 RP game and 2 SP games. He can start 15 different ones like it seems he plans on doing. But he will only get credit for the best RP today and best 2 SP games tomorrow. So in my opinion it's a dumb move. Why not take the better SP Peavy. Then your choice of Maine or Chuck James but that's why i'm winning the league and he is not. :)
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers