Derek Lowe, Pedro Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derek Lowe, Pedro Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:47 pm

soxfan364 wrote:I think he could have gotten around 15 wins if he were still on the Sox.
Beckett won 16 this year so it isn't like that is all that special.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
soxfan364 wrote:I think he could have gotten around 15 wins if he were still on the Sox.
Beckett won 16 this year so it isn't like that is all that special.

and Beckett SUCKS
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:42 pm

After Pedro's performance last year Epstein's decision looked bad. After Pedro's injury-plagued season this year it looks better but it shows you how much things can change in a year.

When the Mets signed Pedro this board was ripe with people claiming that this was a bad deal for the Mets because Pedro's arm wouldn't hold up. Well they were half right. The second year was full of injuries but those injuries involved his big toe and a hip injury that happened when he slipped in the clubhouse.

Considering his performance and everything Pedro brought to the Mets last year the signing was already worth it and everything they got from that point on was just butter. Unfortunately the Mets didn't get no butter this year.

Pedro isn't battling arm injuries so maybe this story isn't finished being written. Perhaps a degenerative big toe condition will end up making Epstein appear genius but let's not forget that these decisions were made based on a phantom tear in Pedro's labrum.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Lowe's performance is a vindication (well, more vindication) for DePodesta, not a condemnation of Epstein. His game just plays a lot better in LA than in Boston.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Derek Lowe, Pedro Martinez

Postby Melo255 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:23 am

brewcrew4you wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
soxfan364 wrote:Derek Lowe won his seventh straight decision as the Dodgers beat the Rockies to maintain a one-game lead in the NL wild-card race.

Letting Pedro go seems to have been a good move by Theo, but losing Lowe doesn't look so good right now when you compare him to Beckett and Matt Clement.

Do you really think Lowe would be putting up the same stats in the AL East pitching half his games in Fenway?

;-D

;-D It always gets me when people say stuff like Arroyo or Lowe would be doing anywhere near as well as they are now if they were still on the Sox. That just isn't so. It seems like if a guy goes to the AL he is expected to do worse but when a pitcher goes to the NL and improves, as everyone expects him to with the league and division change, the team that let him go made a mistake. Going from the AL east to the NL SHOULD result in great improvement.
The problem the Red Sox are having is that they keep picking up 'decent' young pitchers from the NL with very little track record of success and expecting them to improve and thrive in the AL east.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thomasps3 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am

I really think that Melo has it right here, although I think that Beckett will be fine once he matures and starts to become a pitcher instead of a thrower. Numerous sources up here in Boston have said that as he got whacked around, he just threw harder and harder instead of regaining his composure. He will grow out of that.

However, Clement and BK Kim are both perfect examples of this, Clement to the tune of $24MM, and BK to the tune of $10MM. I can only thank god that Theo didn't sign Clement to Burnett $$ for 5 years!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby RynMan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:28 am

Lets not forget Lowe has had a pretty good defense behind him this year.

As Pogo pointed out, there is no way he produces these numbers in the AL East.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Derek Lowe, Pedro Martinez

Postby gfantasy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm

Melo255 wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
soxfan364 wrote:Derek Lowe won his seventh straight decision as the Dodgers beat the Rockies to maintain a one-game lead in the NL wild-card race.

Letting Pedro go seems to have been a good move by Theo, but losing Lowe doesn't look so good right now when you compare him to Beckett and Matt Clement.

Do you really think Lowe would be putting up the same stats in the AL East pitching half his games in Fenway?

;-D

;-D It always gets me when people say stuff like Arroyo or Lowe would be doing anywhere near as well as they are now if they were still on the Sox. That just isn't so. It seems like if a guy goes to the AL he is expected to do worse but when a pitcher goes to the NL and improves, as everyone expects him to with the league and division change, the team that let him go made a mistake. Going from the AL east to the NL SHOULD result in great improvement.
The problem the Red Sox are having is that they keep picking up 'decent' young pitchers from the NL with very little track record of success and expecting them to improve and thrive in the AL east.

I think the Sox are just going in a diff. direction...im not even sure where that is.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers