Ethics vs. Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics vs. Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby iftn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:26 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
iftn wrote:how about intentionally walking a guy in the last game of a season so he cannot improve his batting average and thus take the batting title away from a teammate.

Yeah, that jumped out at me as well. That was the biggest joke I have ever seen on the baseball diamond...

You might think that's a joke, and I agree that it's very cheap, but I would also do that every time for a teammate if I was the pitcher (or coach).

wouldnt you want to EARN the batting title?
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:37 pm

iftn wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
iftn wrote:how about intentionally walking a guy in the last game of a season so he cannot improve his batting average and thus take the batting title away from a teammate.

Yeah, that jumped out at me as well. That was the biggest joke I have ever seen on the baseball diamond...

You might think that's a joke, and I agree that it's very cheap, but I would also do that every time for a teammate if I was the pitcher (or coach).

Come on...if you're even in the running for a batting title, you've earned it....it's not like somebody was letting someone else get a hit (that would be not earning it). This was prevention, plain and simple.

And frankly, no, I wouldn't care if some knucklehead didn't think I "earned" my batting title....I'd quietly remind him that I had a batting title and I didn't give a damn how it happened.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:38 pm

iftn wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:

It's all about the result, not the journey.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby iftn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:23 pm

had to break that into two replies?
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:59 pm

iftn wrote:had to break that into two replies?

Just felt like padding my post total...actually I didn't feel like editing the original, so I just posted again.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Kurtangletn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:25 pm

I don't really know, now that I think of it.

Is there even a real split even line with cheating?

Besides dropping players, unbalanced trades, and maybe "throwing a week" in h2h (which I think is more in ethics)
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Ethics vs. Rules

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:47 pm

mak1277 wrote:I read a lot of posts on here that start out "Is it ethical to...", which kind of got me to thinking about ethics in fantasy baseball. Do we even need to consider "ethics", or can we simply focus on the rules of our leagues?

It's my position that anything within the rules is also, by nature, "ethical". Certain things may be consider "cheap" or "cheesy" ways to win, but isn't winning (within the rules) the only thing that matters?

I don't think ethics enter into the conversation at all...as long as your strategies and/or actions are within the rules, you shouldn't even think twice about it.

Thoughts?

This kind of a question will differ from person to person. I personally don't agree with doing something that may be underhanded, cheap, or cheesy, whether there is a rule against it or not. I think you should play the game the way you think it should be played.

I know Generally, If I have to question whether it's right or wrong to do something, I don't do it. I would rather come in 2nd in a league and know that I played it in a way that I think keeps my integrity intact, then to do something underhanded and win it. I also don't think that winning is everything.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:09 am

There's nothing illegal about cheating on your spouse.
But, it's still unethical.
Rules/laws are different than ethics.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby ukrneal » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:There's nothing illegal about cheating on your spouse.
But, it's still unethical.
Rules/laws are different than ethics.

I wasn't able to formulate a short response - so thankfully you have! I agree.

I see too many people on these boards who think that if something is permitted by the rules, it is also ethical. While they can coincide, they do not always do so.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:18 am

And I'll give a FBB example. A couple years ago, before Yahoo put in their idiot-proof system for add/drop, I made a mistake and accidentally dropped Soriano from my team. I posted a note explaining my mistake and asking the other managers to allow him to clear waivers and let me pick him back up. I agreed to accept any penalty the other managers and Commish thought was OK.

Now, by the rules, any other manager could have made a waiver claim and grabbed him.

Because the other managers in my league followed their ethics,rather than the rules, Soriano cleared waivers and I was able to reclaim him.

The penalty, of course, is that I am still ridiculed to this day for that mistake. :)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers