Ethics vs. Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics vs. Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ethics vs. Rules

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am

I read a lot of posts on here that start out "Is it ethical to...", which kind of got me to thinking about ethics in fantasy baseball. Do we even need to consider "ethics", or can we simply focus on the rules of our leagues?

It's my position that anything within the rules is also, by nature, "ethical". Certain things may be consider "cheap" or "cheesy" ways to win, but isn't winning (within the rules) the only thing that matters?

I don't think ethics enter into the conversation at all...as long as your strategies and/or actions are within the rules, you shouldn't even think twice about it.

Thoughts?
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Ethics say a lot about a person, and ethics and rules are two very different things. Look at it a different way. Is it ok to bunt with two outs in the 9th inning to break up a no hitter when your team is down 10-0? Is it ok for a pitcher to intentionally plunk a batter for no reason other than he might not personally like the guy? Is it ok for a player to steal second base when his team is up 10-0 in the late innings?

All of those things are "legal" in baseball's rules, but that in no way means they are the "ethical" thing to do.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:09 pm

Madison wrote:Ethics say a lot about a person, and ethics and rules are two very different things. Look at it a different way. Is it ok to bunt with two outs in the 9th inning to break up a no hitter when your team is down 10-0? Is it ok for a pitcher to intentionally plunk a batter for no reason other than he might not personally like the guy? Is it ok for a player to steal second base when his team is up 10-0 in the late innings?

All of those things are "legal" in baseball's rules, but that in no way means they are the "ethical" thing to do.

i dont think bunting with 2 outs in the 9th of a no-no is unethical. i think its a silly call to make and just plain stupid.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby beatdrum » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:49 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Madison wrote:Ethics say a lot about a person, and ethics and rules are two very different things. Look at it a different way. Is it ok to bunt with two outs in the 9th inning to break up a no hitter when your team is down 10-0? Is it ok for a pitcher to intentionally plunk a batter for no reason other than he might not personally like the guy? Is it ok for a player to steal second base when his team is up 10-0 in the late innings?

i dont think bunting with 2 outs in the 9th of a no-no is unethical. i think its a silly call to make and just plain stupid.

It clearly falls under the "unwritten rule" category. Is there a thread anywhere about these unwritten rules in baseball. If not, someone list a few. It would be a good read.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby iftn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:57 pm

how about intentionally walking a guy in the last game of a season so he cannot improve his batting average and thus take the batting title away from a teammate.
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:05 pm

In no way am I talking about real baseball though. Of course there are unwritten rules in the real game...but are you saying there are also unwritten rules in fantasy baseball?

I am more interested in people's thoughts about "ethical" questions related to fantasy.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:11 pm

to me the ethics debate is related to interpretation of the rules. things arent always black and white whether the rules permit certain behavior. so when someone asks if an action is ethical they are really asking if something is within the rules.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Zito is God » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:38 pm

iftn wrote:how about intentionally walking a guy in the last game of a season so he cannot improve his batting average and thus take the batting title away from a teammate.

Yeah, that jumped out at me as well. That was the biggest joke I have ever seen on the baseball diamond...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Zito is God wrote:
iftn wrote:how about intentionally walking a guy in the last game of a season so he cannot improve his batting average and thus take the batting title away from a teammate.

Yeah, that jumped out at me as well. That was the biggest joke I have ever seen on the baseball diamond...

You might think that's a joke, and I agree that it's very cheap, but I would also do that every time for a teammate if I was the pitcher (or coach).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby iftn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:26 pm

Zito is God wrote:

did it actually happen? when and who did it?
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers