Nick Swisher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Swisher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nick Swisher

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:50 am

I want to hear thoughts on him. He's had three months of hitting about .300, three months of about .200 and he's ended up with a line of .256/34/92/105/1 with 4 games remaining.

These numbers remind me a lot of Adam Dunn, who is typically picked no later than round 6 and averages in the top 3-4 rounds (link, link). So does this mean that Swisher is a top 100 player entering next season? Could he go higher than that based on potential and those three HUGE months? Basically, is Swish the next Dunn?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:57 am

I feel like Dunn has already showed what type of player he is.

Swisher has a lot of upside and could one day produce better fantasy numbers than Dunn.

In my league, Dunn was 10th best 1B and Swisher was 13th. It might be worth it to take a chance with Swisher.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:13 pm

I don't know if I agree with Swisher one day being better than Dunn. I think Swisher is at most a .270 hitter. This is the kind of hitting ability he's always show. I think this is pretty much the most you can expect from Swisher in homers as well. Dunn could hit 50hrs for the next few seasons and it wouldn't be too shocking. Anyway, Swisher is just a lesser version of Dunn.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Swisher is only a year younger than Dunn.
I agree that Swisher is just a lesser version of Dunn. They are pretty much the same hitter except Dunn has more power.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Half Massed » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:53 pm

Swisher hit .250 for a while because he fell pretty badly ill around June and lost something like 15 pounds. It took him about two months to fully recover. As far as I know, August was just struggles, not health related, but he's batting .300 in September again. I think he has the capacity to hit for a better average than Dunn. I also think he'll lower his Ks.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:28 pm

How about Pat Burrell as a comparasion to Swisher? Doesn't quite K like Dunn, walks less, but still has some good power.

One thing to remember about Swisher is that he's a streaky hitter. It is understandable that he can hit above .300 in a month and hit below .200 on the next. On the long run though, he won't be able to keep his average around .300 because he Ks so much. If his walks continue to go up, it will likely help his AVG and something around .280 could be reasonable for 07. He has above average power and that won't go anywhere, so the upside is still there.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby Zito is God » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Swisher is a baby-Dunn. Dunn has arguably the best pure power in the majors. He's one of the few that can actually hit a line drive into the stands. Swisher is a good 35 HR ceiling while Dunn can hit 50 if he gets it going.

I am quite surprised that Swisher is striking out as much as he is as well, he had great dicipline in the minors. I see good things as a third outfielder (or 2nd if your pitching and infield is really loaded) but no more. Call me crazy but 30 HRs + 100 RBIs ain't what it used to be, we guys with those numbers that NEVER get talked about here.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:39 pm

Zito is God wrote: Swisher is a good 35 HR ceiling while Dunn can hit 50 if he gets it going.

So what you are saying here is that Swisher, who has 34 HR this season at age 26 has reached his ceiling?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Zito is God » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:44 pm

Well, age 27 is the peak so don't say 26 is some sort of "coming out" age. I've seen Swisher play, and I followed him from his minor league days (even drafted him high in my dynasty). I can't say the absolute max he will ever hit, I CAN tell you he'll never hit more then Dunn (barring injury).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Zito is God wrote:Well, age 27 is the peak so don't say 26 is some sort of "coming out" age. I've seen Swisher play, and I followed him from his minor league days (even drafted him high in my dynasty). I can't say the absolute max he will ever hit, I CAN tell you he'll never hit more then Dunn (barring injury).

I wasn't saying whether he will hit for more power than Dunn. I agree Dunn has more power and his favorable park helps his numbers hell of a lot more than Swisher's.

I was just curious as to why you think Swisher's power is maxed out at age 26.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers