MVPs, Cy Youngs, ROYs etc. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MVPs, Cy Youngs, ROYs etc.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:59 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Derek Jeter....a #2 hitting shortstop....leads the AMERICAN LEAGUE in Runs Created, with 131 this season. Sizemore is 2nd, with 125. Jeter has created more runs for his team than any other player on an American League team this season.

No. link
According to ESPN's stats department, Jeter is some 15 RC behind Ortiz and doesn't even make the top 5 in RC27.

The MVP is Johan.

Please do not use ESPN's runs created statistic. It's not as in-depth as the hardball times version. Jeter leads the AL in runs created: http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/m ... gue_filter[]=1
Jeter's the AL MVP. Johan is #2 for me.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:25 pm

davidmarver wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Derek Jeter....a #2 hitting shortstop....leads the AMERICAN LEAGUE in Runs Created, with 131 this season. Sizemore is 2nd, with 125. Jeter has created more runs for his team than any other player on an American League team this season.

No. link
According to ESPN's stats department, Jeter is some 15 RC behind Ortiz and doesn't even make the top 5 in RC27.

The MVP is Johan.

Please do not use ESPN's runs created statistic. It's not as in-depth as the hardball times version. Jeter leads the AL in runs created: http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/m ... gue_filter[]=1
Jeter's the AL MVP. Johan is #2 for me.

Exactly. I'm going by the Hardball Times, which is a site dedicated to this sort of stuff. ESPN is not. Jeter is the AL MVP if you don't want to vote for Hafner.

I'm not a believer in giving pitchers the MVP. There is an award for excellent pitching, and pitchers don't have the same day-in and day-out effect on the team as hitters do.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:39 pm

AL MVP: Derek Jeter
AL Cy Young: Johan Santana
AL ROY: Justin Verlander
AL CPOY: Frank Thomas

NL MVP: Ryan Howard
NL Cy Young: Brad Pen...Brandon Webb ;-)
NL ROY: Hanley Ramirez
NL CPOY: Nomar Garciaparra ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:36 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:AL MVP: Should be Ortiz/Santana/Thomas
will be Jeter :-t

You people are hilarious. Normally, I'd agree that Jeter is overrated. However, you guys are short-changing him immensely.

If you are going to play the 'MVP must come from a winning team' card, then Jeter is the American League MVP. If you don't want to play that card, then the MVP is Hafner.

Derek Jeter....a #2 hitting shortstop....leads the AMERICAN LEAGUE in Runs Created, with 131 this season. Sizemore is 2nd, with 125. Jeter has created more runs for his team than any other player on an American League team this season.

Jeter is FOURTH in the American League in RC/27. He is worth about 8.9 runs per game. Meaning, a lineup consisting of nine Derek Jeters' would score about 8.9 runs per game. The only people ahead of him on this list are Travis Hafner, Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome, all whose teams missed the playoffs. Jeter is worth more runs per game than Ortiz, Dye, Mauer, Morneau, Vlad, etc.

The only thing that hurts Jeter is his OPS. It looks relatively weak, compared to other MVP candidates at .897. Then you take into account that he's a shortstop who hits in the #2 hole, and it's actually quite amazing.

Jeter also leads the league in Win Shares, at 31 for the season. Second place in Mauer at 29.

Anyone who says that it's a joke that Jeter wins the MVP has no idea what they're talking about. Is Jeter overrated most of the time? Yes. But he has had an unbelievable year, and it's about time people give him credit for it. There is no better choice for the AL MVP in 2006 (unless you're in favor of giving it to the best player---winning or losing team).

;-D ;-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:05 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

You people are hilarious. Normally, I'd agree that Jeter is overrated. However, you guys are short-changing him immensely.

If you are going to play the 'MVP must come from a winning team' card, then Jeter is the American League MVP. If you don't want to play that card, then the MVP is Hafner.

Derek Jeter....a #2 hitting shortstop....leads the AMERICAN LEAGUE in Runs Created, with 131 this season. Sizemore is 2nd, with 125. Jeter has created more runs for his team than any other player on an American League team this season.

Jeter is FOURTH in the American League in RC/27. He is worth about 8.9 runs per game. Meaning, a lineup consisting of nine Derek Jeters' would score about 8.9 runs per game. The only people ahead of him on this list are Travis Hafner, Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome, all whose teams missed the playoffs. Jeter is worth more runs per game than Ortiz, Dye, Mauer, Morneau, Vlad, etc.

The only thing that hurts Jeter is his OPS. It looks relatively weak, compared to other MVP candidates at .897. Then you take into account that he's a shortstop who hits in the #2 hole, and it's actually quite amazing.

Jeter also leads the league in Win Shares, at 31 for the season. Second place in Mauer at 29.

Anyone who says that it's a joke that Jeter wins the MVP has no idea what they're talking about. Is Jeter overrated most of the time? Yes. But he has had an unbelievable year, and it's about time people give him credit for it. There is no better choice for the AL MVP in 2006 (unless you're in favor of giving it to the best player---winning or losing team).

Perfect explanation on why Jeter is one of the two best choices depending on your philosophy
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:58 pm

Not sure why Thomas is getting mvp votes. Good year, but doesn't even crack top 20 in runs created. Jeter is as good as selection as any.

Anyone notice Oriz gets a -5.8 in clutch? As long as Ortiz doesn't win, i don't care. ESPN love child. Plus his crying makes me want him to never win one.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

I don't think that he is the most VALUEABLE player. I'm defining it as valuable to his team, which, I think, is big Hurt. Without Jeter, the Yanks still win the East, imo. Without Hurt, I don't think that the A's are a playoff team. Runs created doesn't = mvp. If they put in a Runs created award, Jeter will lead himself to victory, I'm sure.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:21 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:I don't think that he is the most VALUEABLE player. I'm defining it as valuable to his team, which, I think, is big Hurt. Without Jeter, the Yanks still win the East, imo. Without Hurt, I don't think that the A's are a playoff team. Runs created doesn't = mvp. If they put in a Runs created award, Jeter will lead himself to victory, I'm sure.
That's a flawed arguement to me. That makes the MVP team dependant. You're basically saying Thomas is more valuable cause he is on a worse team. Put him on the Yanks and he isn't the most valuable?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Justin Morneau is my pick, not sure if anyone brought this up, I don't buying into the whole arguement of Jeter having a great year despite of all the injuries around him so he should win the MVP, last i checked he still has Damon, A-Rod and Giambi hitting around him so that arguement has no merit.

Morneau is my pick because he's hit about .350+ since June I believe, just when Minnesota started their playoff run, so in my mind, its not coincedence that his great year and the Twins turn around coincide, therefore, he's my pick for MVP
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:52 pm

AL MVP and Cy Young: Johan Santana
AL ROY: Justin Verlander
AL Comeback Player: Frank Thomas

NL MVP: Ryan Howard (unless Pujols can will the Cards into the playoffs...)
NL Cy Young: Chris Carpenter
NL ROY: Heart says UGGLA, but head says Hanley Ramirez :,-(
NL Comeback Player: Nomar Garciaparra
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers