Betemit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Betemit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Betemit

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 pm

Doing pretty damn good for the Dodgers. He could be a nice player next year qualifying at 2B/SS/3B. I wonder where he ranks among 2B.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Betemit

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:45 pm

Yoda wrote:Doing pretty damn good for the Dodgers. He could be a nice player next year qualifying at 2B/SS/3B. I wonder where he ranks among 2B.

You know, I have seen a lot of Dodger games this year on MLB Xtra Innings and I was just cursing the name of Betemit for about the past 30 minutes. Every time I see this guy play third with one of my SPs on the mound, he does a hack job or blows a play that ends up being ruled a hit but that an average 3b would make the play on. He did it again tonight with a ball that was ruled a double that he did not even dive for and basically should have been at least knocked down. He seems to be a hack at 3b and I wonder how much his defense offsets his offense.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:49 pm

He should be a good option as long he gets playing time.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:10 am

Yoda wrote:Doing pretty damn good for the Dodgers. He could be a nice player next year qualifying at 2B/SS/3B. I wonder where he ranks among 2B.
You're kidding, right? He's hit .240 since the trade. I'll grant that 9 HRs in 160 ABs is hella-nice, but that comes with over 40 Ks and an OPS below .750. To say he's been "above average" would be an over-statement. And just for fun, I'll point out that Willy Aybar has had an OBP of .380 against Betemit's .305.

Don't get me wrong, I expect Betemit to improve. But he's certainly not been "pretty damn good" for the Dodgers.

Edited to add: In response to the criticism of his defense, I've heard mostly good things about his play in the field while he was at Atlanta, and that goes for both 3B and SS (he really didn't get a whole lot of PT at 2B). But with that said, neither his zone rating nor range factor appear to be very good.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:54 am

George_Foreman wrote:
You're kidding, right? He's hit .240 since the trade. I'll grant that 9 HRs in 160 ABs is hella-nice, but that comes with over 40 Ks and an OPS below .750. To say he's been "above average" would be an over-statement. And just for fun, I'll point out that Willy Aybar has had an OBP of .380 against Betemit's .305.

Don't get me wrong, I expect Betemit to improve. But he's certainly not been "pretty damn good" for the Dodgers.

Edited to add: In response to the criticism of his defense, I've heard mostly good things about his play in the field while he was at Atlanta, and that goes for both 3B and SS (he really didn't get a whole lot of PT at 2B). But with that said, neither his zone rating nor range factor appear to be very good.

It could still be an adjustment phase to the different fielding environment. I'm not really sure. I do hope he gets regular playing time though next year. Also, Betemit is up for arbitration this year and looks to make out fairly well. It is possible he gets traded again with an already crowded Dodger infield Kent, Furcal, LaRoche, Loney, & Betemit. Something has got to give there and with LaRoche's injury that may not happen till midseason. Personally, I'd bench Loney and move Betemit to 2B and start Kent (one of the worse 2B in baseball) @ 1B, Furcal @ SS, and LaRoche @ 3B (I don't know if LaRoche can play 2B but I know he can 3B, while Betemit has shown he can play both)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:37 am

I'm not saying he won't improve, I just took issue with the statement that he's been doing well since the trade. :-)

George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:14 am

George_Foreman wrote:I'm not saying he won't improve, I just took issue with the statement that he's been doing well since the trade. :-)

Well you are right. He was proly better in ATL. But for the season, he is on pace for about 20 HRs which don't come easily from a lot of 2B.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stumpak » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Those 18 HRs also have come in just 363 ABs. Also, don't forget that it has tunred out that he is 2 years younger than thought, so he is more or less developing as one would expect for his age and not really the late bloomer than many thought.

Betemit will be a decent pick-up for next year at 2B. He is not a necessarily the safest bet there is, but his upside is substantial. He has the ability to breakout similar to Cantu last year.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Oh, certainly if he can play solid defense at second and hit 20 HRs, he'll be a very valuable player. But I believe that one of the reasons the Braves traded him is that they didn't like him at 2B. He doesn't really have the build for it, and he doesn't exactly have a tone of playing time there. I'd be pretty surprised if he stuck as an every-day 2B for a good ML team. As a Figgins-like UTIL guy getting 10-20 starts a year at 2B? Sure. But not every day.

George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:20 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Oh, certainly if he can play solid defense at second and hit 20 HRs, he'll be a very valuable player. But I believe that one of the reasons the Braves traded him is that they didn't like him at 2B. He doesn't really have the build for it, and he doesn't exactly have a tone of playing time there. I'd be pretty surprised if he stuck as an every-day 2B for a good ML team. As a Figgins-like UTIL guy getting 10-20 starts a year at 2B? Sure. But not every day.

I was really talking about Betemit in fantasy baseball setting. I will admit that I haven't really seen him this year but he was always a high prospect and seemed to have been jacked around quite a bit by the Braves.

There aren't too many 2B with 20+ HR potential and he will qualify there next season.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers