Sportsline 2007 mock draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sportsline 2007 mock draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:05 pm

Looks like they're overvaluing pitchers and undervaluing OF. And then there are some plain dumb picks.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:07 pm

I think you could toss a few toddlers in a room with darts and name boards and get a better mock. It would also be a lot more entertaining then that.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 pm

1337_Dude wrote:I think you could toss a few toddlers in a room with darts and name boards and get a better mock. It would also be a lot more entertaining then that.

I would agree. I really just do not get it. I mean I can see the order of a lot of the top 20 or so players shifting quite a bit next season. I just do not fathom guys picking Hanley Ramirez before Manny Ramirez? I mean that is the type of stupid thing you would get if you knew NOTHING about baseball/fantasy baseball, took a stat sheet from 2006 and just blindly followed it.

Then you get stuff like Peavy before Vlad and you just have to wonder how crazy these guys are. Not that I am some raving expert, but I mean this is just bizarre stuff. What would possess ANYONE to pick Hanley Ramirez before Manny?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hooligan1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:23 pm

duckbillgates wrote:I really don't follow the logic on this mock, but if someone will trade me Hafner for Morneau based on their draft position, I'm all ears.

One thing I am realizing: Utley will be a first-rounder in more drafts than not. He has put up solid first outfielder numbers, and 2B is going to be a barren wasteland next year with Soriano gone. Big dropoff after Chase.

I do think next year will be a crazy draft year, though. That whole first round will probably be different in nearly every league. It isn't as clear-cut as this year was with everyone's first four picks or so set in stone.

Agreed on Utley. There are some guys who could be pretty solid, such as Cano, Brian Roberts, maybe Brandon Phillips, maaaaybe Kent. But for the most part, there isn't much to look at as far 2B goes after Chase......Giles, Uggla, Iguchi, Sanchez, Figgins......?? It seems to be a position where it's tough to visualize what guys might be capable of. Lots of uncertainty at 2B for '07.

As far as the rest of the draft, well these guys are smoking some good stuff cause it's the only way you can explain these results! Vlad @ #17!?! What?! I can only pray to God that someone in my league takes Howard with the third pick, letting guys like Ortiz slip further (to me, hopefully).

Also, any pitcher other than Santana in round 1 is ridiculous. Carp's good, but not THAT good......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:41 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:I think you could toss a few toddlers in a room with darts and name boards and get a better mock. It would also be a lot more entertaining then that.

I would agree. I really just do not get it. I mean I can see the order of a lot of the top 20 or so players shifting quite a bit next season. I just do not fathom guys picking Hanley Ramirez before Manny Ramirez? I mean that is the type of stupid thing you would get if you knew NOTHING about baseball/fantasy baseball, took a stat sheet from 2006 and just blindly followed it.

Then you get stuff like Peavy before Vlad and you just have to wonder how crazy these guys are. Not that I am some raving expert, but I mean this is just bizarre stuff. What would possess ANYONE to pick Hanley Ramirez before Manny?

Half the time I don't think they even try. I would love to see how their personaly drafts go. You'd have to hope that any fan of fantasy baseball would have better sense then some of these do. Maybe they just know people like us here at the cafe have aneurysms reading some of their terrible mocks.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:50 pm

I'm thinking they're spreading disinformation for when everyone puts together their sheets for next year, trying to influence other's opinions negatively, thereby making their drafts against weaker competition. I definitely have done this sort of thing discussing players with people in my leagues before drafts.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:54 pm

How can Manny still be undrafted? 8-o

Also noticed Tejada is dropping here... Wasn't he like the first SS usually taken in this year's drafts? :-? How the mighty have fallen...
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:I'm thinking they're spreading disinformation for when everyone puts together their sheets for next year, trying to influence other's opinions negatively, thereby making their drafts against weaker competition. I definitely have done this sort of thing discussing players with people in my leagues before drafts.

I dunno. They are supposed to be experts so how effective can it be to be talking up Hanley Ramirez over Manny? I mean if you were clever enough to do that, you would be clever enough to do something that could be reasonable and believed. Maybe arguing that Howard is a good pick at 3 or 4 for instance. At least that is not whacked in the head to think that. Indeed, it may prove to be the correct call.

But when you argue Hanley Ramirez over Manny or Peavy over Manny, what reasonable argument would you use? Yeah, I think this pitcher with a 4+ ERA on a team that struggles to get him 10 Ws is going to be better than Manny Ramirez becuase I just have a feeling? Ridiculous.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:How can Manny still be undrafted? 8-o

Also noticed Tejada is dropping here... Wasn't he like the first SS usually taken in this year's drafts? :-? How the mighty have fallen...

The guy that drafts next better take Manny. If he follows that by another sane pick then he easily has the best team.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jbauer2485 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:03 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:I'm thinking they're spreading disinformation for when everyone puts together their sheets for next year, trying to influence other's opinions negatively, thereby making their drafts against weaker competition. I definitely have done this sort of thing discussing players with people in my leagues before drafts.

I dunno. They are supposed to be experts so how effective can it be to be talking up Hanley Ramirez over Manny? I mean if you were clever enough to do that, you would be clever enough to do something that could be reasonable and believed. Maybe arguing that Howard is a good pick at 3 or 4 for instance. At least that is not whacked in the head to think that. Indeed, it may prove to be the correct call.

But when you argue Hanley Ramirez over Manny or Peavy over Manny, what reasonable argument would you use? Yeah, I think this pitcher with a 4+ ERA on a team that struggles to get him 10 Ws is going to be better than Manny Ramirez becuase I just have a feeling? Ridiculous.

Hanley Ramirez over Manny is insane. This draft is F****** nuts!

Hanley ended up with good numbers but was inconsistent throughout the year. He basically had stellar 1\3, terrible 1\3, stellar 1\3. If he has a year of the exact opposite (bad, good, bad), well, that is definitely not a top player. Everyone knows what you get out of Manny every single year....
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers