Maroth left off playoff roster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Maroth left off playoff roster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maroth left off playoff roster

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:44 pm

From Danny Knoblers blog

Maroth's off playoff roster, Shelton's probably on

DETROIT -- Jim Leyland told Mike Maroth today that he won't be on the playoff roster. No huge surprise, but still a difficult conversation. Also, it looks like Chris Shelton will be on the roster, and could even start against left-handers.

This really sucks for Maroth who went through some very tough times here in Detroit but it was the right decision imo. He wasn't very good during his rehab in Toledo and hasn't been very good since his return to the bigs. I'm pulling for a full recovery for Maroth but unfortunately this was the best decision for the team.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:27 am

Bottom line is Maroth cannot help this team win in the playoffs. His elbow isn't strong enough.

That said, I think they should have included him on the roster. He could do some mop up work should they blow out or get blown out of a game. I think he more than earned it for the way he handled '03. Just seems wrong to me.

Did Nefi make the playoff roster? What a crock that would be to have a guy who wouldn't make most Little League rosters take a roster spot. He must have pix of Leyland in Colorado. :-t
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:11 pm

Maroth can't help. They are going to need the best out of what they have and Maroth just isn't among this team's best right now. That said, it does appear that Neifi is going to be on the roster, but I'm not 100% certain. Since no more than 11 pitchers are generally needed in a playoff series, I think teams usually carry an extra position player who usually does not play. Or at least that's the role I would prefer of Neifi. Personally I'd rather Santiago fill that role. At least Santiago is fast enough to be a decent pinch runner. Neifi's speed isn't what I remember. I thought he used to be about average. He looks a bit on the slow side if you ask me.

About Shelton: I seriously hope we don't see much of him in the playoffs. I'd rather see Casey against LHP. At least Casey can hit the ball most of the time, even if it's not going for hits right now. The only thing I'm confident in Shelton doing right now is striking out.

I hope we see the starting position players play every game, the way it's supposed to be in the postseason.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Tigers