100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

'The Punch'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
ACS: where do you come up with your ridiculous generalizations and blanket statements? I can't even tell if you were being serious or not.

Its an opinion chill out you don't need to save the world every post

I'm chill. And not trying to save the world, just trying to understand what you're talking about. I am genuinely curious where you come up with these generalizations. And I seriously couldn't tell if you were being serious or sarcastic, I'm guessing by your reply that you were being serious though.

I'm just thinking outside the box. Trying to come up with some ideas. From ideas come more ideas and on and on.

I'm just thinking alot of athletes are into just that. They care about that #1.

To them music may not be as important to their life as say it is to you and I.

They have time for concentrating on their job and thats it.

I don't know just throwing out ideas. It may also just be that its a general reflection of the population. We notice athletes who like 50 cent and Nickelback but we don't notice the ones who like J5 and phish.

Probably just the media showing us what they want us to see.

Anyways
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:49 pm

"Help, we're trying to think outside!"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 am

Art Vandelay wrote:The NBA isn't a product of hip-hop culture. Both are products of urban culture. The current state of the NBA, and the current state of hip-hop both grew up and emerged in the 1980s together. When Michael Jordan (and before him the fab five) started wearing baggy shorts and black shoes, they didn't do it because rappers were doing it, they did it because that was the style that was considered cool in the inner cities...which, not coincidently, is the same reason that rappers started doing it.

The reason that the NBA and hip-hop share so many qualities is because styles and trends in both are largely set by the same people: young, black, and urban.

Also, Omaha, don't confuse hip-hop culture with popular hip-hop music. Hip-hop culture is a huge, far reaching phenomena of which modern popular rap music is only one facet. Obviously much of the current mainstream music put out deals with violence, drugs, etc, but it's not even a majority of the total music and the roots of the culture and the music have nothing to do with violence. Saying that hip-hop is about violence is like saying baseball is about steroids.

These are important points.

Many basketball players come from inner-cities where the mentality is a lot different. Just because they make it to the NBA doesn't change their outlook and worldview immediately. I went to high school on the border of Berkeley and Oakland and some people I talked to had completely different views on how to deal with situations that were completely justified considering where those situations would happen for them.

Who knows with this particular guy. A lot of factors go into the reasons for and determining the punishment of that punch. Obviously he needs to be severely disciplined, but severity depends on more than just the action in this situation.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:44 am

Anybody actually know what happened to that guy. Did that fool get serious jailtime? I'd be unbelievable if he got anything less than 3 to 5 years and pay hefty part of his contract as compensation in my opinion.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk