'The Punch' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

'The Punch'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RyanK » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Todd Bertuzzi anyone?
Image
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:37 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.


I disagree. PLENTY of people wear baseball and football jerseys.


I guess I was referring more to the pants. Quite a regular retail stores sell the basketball shorts to be worn casually, but you're not going to find football or baseball pants at Dillards.


I guess ;-7


You see a lot of people wearing football pants where you live? :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby thedude » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:20 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.


I disagree. PLENTY of people wear baseball and football jerseys.


I guess I was referring more to the pants. Quite a regular retail stores sell the basketball shorts to be worn casually, but you're not going to find football or baseball pants at Dillards.


I guess ;-7


You see a lot of people wearing football pants where you live? :-?


No but i see people of all races, wearing hats and pants with football and baseball logos on them. Too be honest, a lot of people who wear jerseys around (not just to the games) could care less what team or sport it is for, as long as it looks cool.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby DK » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 am

gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


Are you insinuating that hip-hop culture is about punching people, and its purpose is to create violence? Because if you are that may be the most ignorant statement I've read in my few years here.

(And this isn't the NBA. It was an Italian basketball league. It happened about half a year ago, if I remember correctly.)
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:37 am

DK wrote:
gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


Are you insinuating that hip-hop culture is about punching people, and its purpose is to create violence? Because if you are that may be the most ignorant statement I've read in my few years here.

(And this isn't the NBA. It was an Italian basketball league. It happened about half a year ago, if I remember correctly.)


I don't think that's what he was insinuating at all. The NBA is a product of Hip-Hop culture, as much as Scarface and Escalades have. I don't consider it a negative connotation and I think the comment was beside the point.

I don't think anyone's out to make this a racial thing. It could be anyone who got pissed off and decided to clock someone for seemingly no good reason (I don't see any reason as a good one for sucker punching someone considerably smaller than you without physical provocation). It's not justifiable in any case and I don't feel the need to defend this guy in any way.

You guys know that I think punishments should meet the crime; if someone gets hurt as a result of someone else's conscious recklessness, then they should suffer considerably harsher consequences than someone who breaks the law and in no way disrupts society.

If I call someone a name and they punch me in the face, not only do I expect them to go to jail, but I also expect to get every penny they're worth. Also, accidents do happen, even as a result of carelessness. Punching someone is not an accident.

I remember people here defending Ron Artest in a discussion back when he went after a fan in the stands. Yeah, that fan pays his salary. You have to have the mind of a 12-year old to go after someone who teases you. Now I'm not saying that the fan heckling Artest is innocent; he likely disrupted the enjoyment of the game for those around him and for that, he should have, at worst, been kicked out. No one deserves to get attacked physically though for just saying something.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:56 am

I think it works out as this:

Athletes are meat heads.


Meat Heads are interested in being in shape and cool.

They also don't care if the music they listen to is art or just noise to dance too.


Thats why I feel like alot of athletes listen to mainstream rap, metal, pop.

Cause its popular and they don't have time to worry about good music vs. crap.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm

DK wrote:
gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


Are you insinuating that hip-hop culture is about punching people, and its purpose is to create violence?


Yeah, hip-hop is about peace, love, an understanding of the wonderful world around you, and an undying love of your fellow man. If any references are made about violence in a rap song, I'm sure it's either by mistake or because the rapper is telling you how wrong it is.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:09 pm

A lot to address here, I'll try to get to it all...

The NBA isn't a product of hip-hop culture. Both are products of urban culture. The current state of the NBA, and the current state of hip-hop both grew up and emerged in the 1980s together. When Michael Jordan (and before him the fab five) started wearing baggy shorts and black shoes, they didn't do it because rappers were doing it, they did it because that was the style that was considered cool in the inner cities...which, not coincidently, is the same reason that rappers started doing it.

The reason that the NBA and hip-hop share so many qualities is because styles and trends in both are largely set by the same people: young, black, and urban.

Also, Omaha, don't confuse hip-hop culture with popular hip-hop music. Hip-hop culture is a huge, far reaching phenomena of which modern popular rap music is only one facet. Obviously much of the current mainstream music put out deals with violence, drugs, etc, but it's not even a majority of the total music and the roots of the culture and the music have nothing to do with violence. Saying that hip-hop is about violence is like saying baseball is about steroids.

ACS: where do you come up with your ridiculous generalizations and blanket statements? I can't even tell if you were being serious or not.

Coppermine: Hip-hop and the NBA were both spawned from the same, larger culture. Scarface and Escalades have been incorporated into the culture...you really can't compare the NBA's relationship with hip-hop to hip-hop's relationship with Scarface.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
ACS: where do you come up with your ridiculous generalizations and blanket statements? I can't even tell if you were being serious or not.



Its an opinion chill out you don't need to save the world every post
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:22 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
ACS: where do you come up with your ridiculous generalizations and blanket statements? I can't even tell if you were being serious or not.



Its an opinion chill out you don't need to save the world every post


I'm chill. And not trying to save the world, just trying to understand what you're talking about. I am genuinely curious where you come up with these generalizations. And I seriously couldn't tell if you were being serious or sarcastic, I'm guessing by your reply that you were being serious though.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact