'The Punch' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

'The Punch'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gfantasy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1447
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NYC/Phila

Postby Amped Sports News » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:37 pm

gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


The league is not only something like 80% black but the types of black folk who are in the league are the guys who are into hip hop for the most part.

Basketball is a poor man's sport. I actually did some research a while ago that knocked me away and found out that 25% of black households in America live BELOW the poverty line (which means the total household incomes of black families in America make less than $18,000 a year) as opposed to 8% of whites. That's insane and does so much to explain a lot of things about black people in this country.

But getting back to basketball being a poor man's sport (for the most part at least), I saw a show once that said back in the 50s I think it was, Jews dominated basketball because Jews were the prodominant poor group in America at the time.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm black, and I have done quite a bit of research on the subjects of "why people do the things they do". So why someone asks why hip hop culture has so much of an influence on the NBA, I enjoy talking about it.

And also, I'm not the type of guy that will bite your head off because you're talking about black people. Feel free to be yourself and talk about whatever you want around me. I think that's the only way we can really understand each other is if we're open and honest. No biting of the tongue around me. ;-)
AmpedSportsNews.com - Your Premier Source for Fake Sports News
Amped Sports News
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 pm

Amped Sports News wrote:
gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


The league is not only something like 80% black but the types of black folk who are in the league are the guys who are into hip hop for the most part.

Basketball is a poor man's sport. I actually did some research a while ago that knocked me away and found out that 25% of black households in America live BELOW the poverty line (which means the total household incomes of black families in America make less than $18,000 a year) as opposed to 8% of whites. That's insane and does so much to explain a lot of things about black people in this country.

But getting back to basketball being a poor man's sport (for the most part at least), I saw a show once that said back in the 50s I think it was, Jews dominated basketball because Jews were the prodominant poor group in America at the time.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm black, and I have done quite a bit of research on the subjects of "why people do the things they do". So why someone asks why hip hop culture has so much of an influence on the NBA, I enjoy talking about it.

And also, I'm not the type of guy that will bite your head off because you're talking about black people. Feel free to be yourself and talk about whatever you want around me. I think that's the only way we can really understand each other is if we're open and honest. No biting of the tongue around me. ;-)


I hope you keep posting. Well said ;-D

as for the guy punching the ref, :-t I think everything that can be done to him needs to be done. It's one thing to get in a fight but to sucker a punch a ref is most heinous.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 501
Joined: 5 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 pm

Amped Sports News wrote:
gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


The league is not only something like 80% black but the types of black folk who are in the league are the guys who are into hip hop for the most part.

Basketball is a poor man's sport. I actually did some research a while ago that knocked me away and found out that 25% of black households in America live BELOW the poverty line (which means the total household incomes of black families in America make less than $18,000 a year) as opposed to 8% of whites. That's insane and does so much to explain a lot of things about black people in this country.

But getting back to basketball being a poor man's sport (for the most part at least), I saw a show once that said back in the 50s I think it was, Jews dominated basketball because Jews were the prodominant poor group in America at the time.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm black, and I have done quite a bit of research on the subjects of "why people do the things they do". So why someone asks why hip hop culture has so much of an influence on the NBA, I enjoy talking about it.

And also, I'm not the type of guy that will bite your head off because you're talking about black people. Feel free to be yourself and talk about whatever you want around me. I think that's the only way we can really understand each other is if we're open and honest. No biting of the tongue around me. ;-)


I always understood basketball to be more of an 'urban' sport than baseball, football, or hockey. You don't need as much space for basketball and you need concrete. There's the recent debate about the lack of black baseball players (not Hispanic) and this may have something to do with it. Football requires a large, open grass field and many more players than does a recreational game of basketball. Hockey is an expensive sport to have a kid involved in, so your 'poor man's sport' may have something to do with the lack of black hockey players. I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby gfantasy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.


I disagree. PLENTY of people wear baseball and football jerseys.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1447
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NYC/Phila

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:37 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.


I disagree. PLENTY of people wear baseball and football jerseys.


I guess I was referring more to the pants. Quite a regular retail stores sell the basketball shorts to be worn casually, but you're not going to find football or baseball pants at Dillards.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby gfantasy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:53 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
gfantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.


I disagree. PLENTY of people wear baseball and football jerseys.


I guess I was referring more to the pants. Quite a regular retail stores sell the basketball shorts to be worn casually, but you're not going to find football or baseball pants at Dillards.


I guess ;-7
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1447
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NYC/Phila

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:37 pm

Mugrila wrote:The comments on youtube disturb me almost as much as the video. Why are people so patheticlly ignorant? :-/


Haha, you guys aren't used to this stuff yet?
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:34 pm

That was a crazy vid. Couldn't believe he would risk his livelyhood for a cheap shot. What a dummy.
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Amped Sports News wrote:
gfantasy wrote:Why has the NBA become a product of the Hip Hop culture?


The league is not only something like 80% black but the types of black folk who are in the league are the guys who are into hip hop for the most part.

Basketball is a poor man's sport. I actually did some research a while ago that knocked me away and found out that 25% of black households in America live BELOW the poverty line (which means the total household incomes of black families in America make less than $18,000 a year) as opposed to 8% of whites. That's insane and does so much to explain a lot of things about black people in this country.

But getting back to basketball being a poor man's sport (for the most part at least), I saw a show once that said back in the 50s I think it was, Jews dominated basketball because Jews were the prodominant poor group in America at the time.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm black, and I have done quite a bit of research on the subjects of "why people do the things they do". So why someone asks why hip hop culture has so much of an influence on the NBA, I enjoy talking about it.

And also, I'm not the type of guy that will bite your head off because you're talking about black people. Feel free to be yourself and talk about whatever you want around me. I think that's the only way we can really understand each other is if we're open and honest. No biting of the tongue around me. ;-)


I always understood basketball to be more of an 'urban' sport than baseball, football, or hockey. You don't need as much space for basketball and you need concrete. There's the recent debate about the lack of black baseball players (not Hispanic) and this may have something to do with it. Football requires a large, open grass field and many more players than does a recreational game of basketball. Hockey is an expensive sport to have a kid involved in, so your 'poor man's sport' may have something to do with the lack of black hockey players. I think this, and the uniforms, add up to blacks enjoying basketball more than other sports. Football pants and baseball uniforms aren't exactly cool outside of the sport.
I wonder about that. I think the reason there are many more black people playing basketball because it's relatively cheapest to play competively. There are many more open baseketball courts then open fields to play in. Even the equipment cost less. Add the fact that you can play a game with as little as 2 people and I think we find a winner for poorer, less previledge people. The jerseys are pretty much all about the same prices though. And I live in New York City and I definitely see jerseys from every sport worn a lot (yes even hockey and soccer).
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact