Bonds...Not Done Yet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bonds...Not Done Yet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:11 pm

jnormy wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
JTWood wrote:You think the Cubs would be interested?

I don't think Bonds would want to play in Chicago. He wants to stay on the West Coast and I've got the feeling he's going to be inflexible on that count.

West Coast, AL so he can DH, team that just lost their top slugger to free agency... Mr. Bonds, say hello to the Oakland A's!

Fremont A's :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:13 pm

jnormy wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
jnormy wrote:

I don't think Bonds would want to play in Chicago. He wants to stay on the West Coast and I've got the feeling he's going to be inflexible on that count.

West Coast, AL so he can DH, team that just lost their top slugger to free agency... Mr. Bonds, say hello to the Oakland A's!

So what you're saying is that the Cubs might not be interested?

I'll need proof before I believe that.

Oh, I'm sure a lot of teams will be interested, including the Cubs, but I agree with Lovable Losers that it's much more likely that a West Coast team gets him, 'cause that's where he wants to play. Any other team would have to seriously overpay to land ol' surly Barry.

IMO, if he leaves SF, Oakland is the frontrunner to reel him in...

Right. I'm sure the Cubs as well as many other teams wouldn't mind adding Bonds to their rosters. I just don't think Barry would have any interest in playing in Chicago. Dusty Baker is gone now and he's the only reason I could even fathom for Barry to consider coming to the Cubs. He's stated in the past that he'd prefer playing on the West Coast and if he played outside of the West Coast I'd imagine he'd want somewhere a bit lower profile than Chicago/New York.

Honestly I really do see Oakland being a perfect fit now than Thomas is a Blue Jay. That doesn't mean they'll work out a contract or anything but it definitely makes a lot of sense both for Barry and for the A's.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:40 pm

I think he'd make a lot of sense manning DH for the M's. But I'm not their GM, unfortunately. :-/
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby greenandgold » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:10 pm

jnormy wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
jnormy wrote:

Oh, I'm sure a lot of teams will be interested, including the Cubs, but I agree with Lovable Losers that it's much more likely that a West Coast team gets him, 'cause that's where he wants to play. Any other team would have to seriously overpay to land ol' surly Barry.

IMO, if he leaves SF, Oakland is the frontrunner to reel him in...

Right. I'm sure the Cubs as well as many other teams wouldn't mind adding Bonds to their rosters. I just don't think Barry would have any interest in playing in Chicago. Dusty Baker is gone now and he's the only reason I could even fathom for Barry to consider coming to the Cubs. He's stated in the past that he'd prefer playing on the West Coast and if he played outside of the West Coast I'd imagine he'd want somewhere a bit lower profile than Chicago/New York.

Honestly I really do see Oakland being a perfect fit now than Thomas is a Blue Jay. That doesn't mean they'll work out a contract or anything but it definitely makes a lot of sense both for Barry and for the A's.

A lot of people see Oakland + Bonds (probably because it is just across the bay) but I don't see it as a fit. First, Bonds is not the Big Hurt, that is I can't really see him coming in and throwing up a 40/100 season. Most importantly, Bonds needs to go some place where he can be the focus of everything once he reaches the magic number and by that time the A's will be too busy winning games to make the playoffs, they won't be able to drop everything and pay lip service to Bonds. Really SF is the best spot for him.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:06 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
jnormy wrote:

I highly doubt that the Cubs would be interested since it was reported that Pineilla wanted him out before he committed to taking that job.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:48 am

Big Pimpin wrote:I think he'd make a lot of sense manning DH for the M's. But I'm not their GM, unfortunately. :-/

I definitely agree with Seattle as well. West coast, very little media other than the media that will follow Bonds there, probably not going to be in the playoff hunt (no offense to any Mariners fans)...it would be a very nice fit.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Euclid » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:58 pm

i'm a big giants fan and honestly i would want bonds if it was a reasonable contract but i don't want the team to spend $18 million of the supposed $80 million dollars on him. He played well last year but its clear that if you sign him on a limited payroll you are saying forget about the playoffs and winning.

I don't see the A's as a fit for one reason, even though they have one of the richest owners in baseball they are nitoriously cheap. Look at the big hurts contract last year for $500,000. They won't shell out $18 million or probably even $12 million for that matter. The team that i could most easily see bonds going to on the west coast is the angels but i wouldn't be suprised to see him consider east coast teams if they will pay more
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Euclid » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:37 pm

i just saw that the giants are going to resign him for $16 million next year on ESPN. I can't say it's a suprise but it sucks that they have thrown the season away and aren't rebuilding at all other than their pitchers maturing.
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

Postby birdmandig » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:57 am

Barry Bonds is the man.

He will be the new HR King beofre season's end.

Hail to Barry!!!!!!!
birdmandig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SniperShot » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:44 pm

I have such mixed feelings on Barry. I love to see records broken but the questions around him are so big...

Ah the heck with it break all the freaking records next season Barry!

Here's to a healthy and productive season BB. ;-D
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates