Bonds...Not Done Yet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bonds...Not Done Yet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NolascoForGod » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:22 am

There is still no proof Bonds used steroids his entire career so you can't judge him...plus you don't know if hank aaron cheated or not so shut up
NolascoForGod
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 105
Joined: 27 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:11 am

NolascoForGod wrote:There is still no proof Bonds used steroids his entire career so you can't judge him...plus you don't know if hank aaron cheated or not so shut up


I'm a big supporter of Bonds but there definitely is proof (so to speak) that he used steroids and even knowledge of when he started (right after McGwire and Sosa went on their home run binge). It's in the leaked grand jury testimony. We know that Bonds admitted to using the cream and the clear and that he says he thought it was flaxseed oil and something for joint pain if I remember correctly.

So Bonds is one of the few players that we can say with pretty much 100% certainty did indeed use steroids. That doesn't change my opinion of Bonds as a great hitter and a hall of fame candidate one iota though. His numbers up to that point were worthy of the hall, many other players were on steroids (probably including a lot of the pitchers that Bonds faced) and most importantly the league did nothing about any of it. It's MLB's fault that any of this is an issue so if you want to hate someone (and I can't believe I'm borrowing this phrase) don't hate the player, hate the game.

So while I agree with your sentiment, NolascoForGod, we do know that Bonds used steroids and we know when he used them. What we also know is that Bonds was practically a shoe-in for the hall BEFORE he started on the steroids, that without the steroids he was one of the best players in the game and that he certainly wasn't the only player using steroids at the time.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby NolascoForGod » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:59 pm

no i'm saying he didn't use steroids his entire career, the earliest he coud of started using the stuff was 97-98, but that was when he already had close to 500 homeruns anyway
NolascoForGod
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 105
Joined: 27 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:00 pm

NolascoForGod wrote:no i'm saying he didn't use steroids his entire career, the earliest he coud of started using the stuff was 97-98, but that was when he already had close to 500 homeruns anyway


Exactly. I think it was '99 that he started using the cream and the clear according to the grand jury testimony. He knew he was a much better player than McGwire and Sosa and wanted to prove it to everyone.
Last edited by The Loveable Losers on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:31 am

NolascoForGod wrote:There is still no proof Bonds used steroids his entire career so you can't judge him...plus you don't know if hank aaron cheated or not so shut up


Touchy, are we?

No reasonable person thinks he's used since his rookie year. And he is/was one of the greatest of all time during his run in the 90s, no doubt.

But, there is a lot of smoke starting in the late 90s, enough to have a majority of people believe he did. His use doesn't taint his accomplishments upto the lat 90s, but does taint, in many people's opinions his accomplishments since then - including potentially the HR record.

I will be curious whether teams will pitch to Bonds next year, though, as he gets closer - especially if we're dealing with players/managers who would hate the thought of Bonds holding the record.

And it is funny to me that ARod may be considered a hero of sorts if Bonds takes the record and ARod continues his pace. To think people might start cheering for ARod simply to make the record more "legitimate" when he is lambasted right now.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2095
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby JTWood » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:34 am

You think the Cubs would be interested?
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:18 am

JTWood wrote:You think the Cubs would be interested?


I don't think Bonds would want to play in Chicago. He wants to stay on the West Coast and I've got the feeling he's going to be inflexible on that count.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby jnormy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:44 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
JTWood wrote:You think the Cubs would be interested?


I don't think Bonds would want to play in Chicago. He wants to stay on the West Coast and I've got the feeling he's going to be inflexible on that count.


West Coast, AL so he can DH, team that just lost their top slugger to free agency... Mr. Bonds, say hello to the Oakland A's!
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1298
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:00 pm

jnormy wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
JTWood wrote:You think the Cubs would be interested?


I don't think Bonds would want to play in Chicago. He wants to stay on the West Coast and I've got the feeling he's going to be inflexible on that count.


West Coast, AL so he can DH, team that just lost their top slugger to free agency... Mr. Bonds, say hello to the Oakland A's!

So what you're saying is that the Cubs might not be interested?

I'll need proof before I believe that.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby jnormy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:05 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
jnormy wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
JTWood wrote:You think the Cubs would be interested?


I don't think Bonds would want to play in Chicago. He wants to stay on the West Coast and I've got the feeling he's going to be inflexible on that count.


West Coast, AL so he can DH, team that just lost their top slugger to free agency... Mr. Bonds, say hello to the Oakland A's!

So what you're saying is that the Cubs might not be interested?

I'll need proof before I believe that.


Oh, I'm sure a lot of teams will be interested, including the Cubs, but I agree with Lovable Losers that it's much more likely that a West Coast team gets him, 'cause that's where he wants to play. Any other team would have to seriously overpay to land ol' surly Barry.

IMO, if he leaves SF, Oakland is the frontrunner to reel him in...
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1298
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Oct. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact