Bonds...Not Done Yet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bonds...Not Done Yet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds...Not Done Yet

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:06 pm

Los Angeles Times (rotoworld):
According to his agent, Barry Bonds will return for another season and negotiations with the Giants could begin as early as next week.

"Barry's going to play in 2007," agent Jeff Borris said. "I've had many discussions with Barry and he's going to play. My intentions are to see to it he's in a big-league uniform next season. Those are my marching orders." Bonds has indicated that he'd prefer to remain a Giant after becoming a free agent. "I have every reason to believe the Giants will contact me as soon as the season ends," Borris said.

It will be one of the saddest days in baseball history when bonds breaks Hank Aaron's HR record next year...no matter what happens next year Hank will be still be the King, as far as i'm concerned, at years end
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ceasar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:31 pm

Get over it...............Bonds is a far better player the Aaron, even without steroids. I hear all the time how his records are tainted but I would bet half the league is on something. The playing field is level because the pitcher are also juiced up. Why does no one question Roger Clemens statistics...........he is better than ever.....give me a break. Barry Bonds maybe one of the biggest asshole ever to play the game but he is also one of the best.
Ceasar
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby XHendrix » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:10 pm

If he does break this record, I hope to god that pujoles or Howard can break bond's record.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:57 pm

XHendrix wrote:If he does break this record, I hope to god that pujoles or Howard can break bond's record.

I have no problem with Bonds breaking the record. That said even if he does I think ARod has a good shot at breaking the record after that. He's already within 300 (464) and he's 31 years old.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby XHendrix » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
XHendrix wrote:If he does break this record, I hope to god that pujoles or Howard can break bond's record.

I have no problem with Bonds breaking the record. That said even if he does I think ARod has a good shot at breaking the record after that. He's already within 300 (464) and he's 31 years old.

Isnt pujoles on a similiar pace, 250 homers at the age of 26. If he keeps pace if my calculations are correct, he'll have 458 at A-rods age.
should be an interesting next 15 years of major leauge baseball.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:34 pm

XHendrix wrote:

Isnt pujoles on a similiar pace, 250 homers at the age of 26. If he keeps pace if my calculations are correct, he'll have 458 at A-rods age.

If Pujols is 26, Joan Rivers is 50.

But both Pujols and A-Rod will have a shot at Bonds/Aaron.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:36 am

XHendrix wrote:

While Pujols is on a similar pace for his age I'll always take the person that's put up that pace longer over the one that's only done it for about 60% of that time. Lots of bad things can happen to an athelete and the less years the guy has left the better when it comes to breaking a longevity record like the home run mark. Most people would call this a power record but honestly when you consider you would have to hit 60 hr's a year for 12 1/2 years to break the current record it becomes clear that this isn't a record broken by power alone...it's a record broken by power, consistancy and most importantly by health.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby johnsamo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:21 pm

Bonds is mortal though now... Pitchers aren't afraid of him like they used to be, and another year isn't going to make his wheels much better.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:49 pm

johnsamo wrote:Bonds is mortal though now... Pitchers aren't afraid of him like they used to be, and another year isn't going to make his wheels much better.

Two things though...
1) Bonds is only 21 hr's short of the record after putting up 26 this year.
2) Bonds' elbow surgery was a huge success. There were several small bone chips and a large one that could have caused his elbow to completely lock up at any time. The doctor said he was surprised Bonds could swing a bat at all to which Bonds replied that it didn't matter...he was swinging with only one arm anyways.

Is it just me or is that a scary thought...a guy puts up 26 home runs in limited play time HITTING WITH ONE ARM?!?! Even with the arthiritic knees I have to think that a Bonds with two good arms will blow away a 21 home run target as long as he manages to avoid being suspended and/or arrested.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:31 pm

johnsamo wrote:Bonds is mortal though now... Pitchers aren't afraid of him like they used to be, and another year isn't going to make his wheels much better.

Two things though...
1) Bonds is only 21 hr's short of the record after putting up 26 this year.
2) Bonds' elbow surgery was a huge success. There were several small bone chips and a large one that could have caused his elbow to completely lock up at any time. The doctor said he was surprised Bonds could swing a bat at all to which Bonds replied that it didn't matter...he was swinging with only one arm anyways.

Is it just me or is that a scary thought...a guy puts up 26 home runs in limited play time HITTING WITH ONE ARM?!?! Even with the arthiritic knees I have to think that a Bonds with two good arms will blow away a 21 home run target as long as he manages to avoid being suspended and/or arrested.

His chances get even better if he goes to an AL team where he can DH. Just thinking about him saving his legs by not playing the field makes him that much scarier.

No way Howard touches the record considering that he's almost 27 and only has 82 career HRs. It would take him 14 more 50 HR years to sniff it, and that ain't gonna happen. My guess is it falls though in the not-too-distant future to either ARod or Pujols. But there are a ton of things that can happen (see Griffey Jr, Ken) that could derail anyone's assault. Should be a very interesting next decade or two. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates