Clemens selfish? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens selfish?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Clemens selfish?

Postby mrkrab2003 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 pm

HAHA a yankee fan calling someone selfish, funny.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
clevername wrote:Clemens wouldn't have scored runs or closed out games for them during the first part of the season. They probably would have had similar results...and his 44 year old body would have been breaking down by now and everyone would be all over him for coming back when he shouldn't have.

Clemens being at top form now is part of the reason the Astros even have a chance to pull this out.

I thought of this myself, but I don't buy it. The man is still dominant. There has been no evidence to suggest his body can't sustain 200 IP a year. I firmly believe that if Clemens was around since April, and the Cards had the same record as they do now, the Stros would be the kings of the NL Central.

I just can't see putting the blame on Clemens for the Astros being in 2nd place. The blame should be more on Lidge not being able to close out games and a stagnant offense not being able to score runs. The Astros might have a few more wins if Clemens had been with them since April, but who knows??? The bullpen has been pretty bad, and the offense fairly weak so the Astros might very well be about the same, plus the fact that Clemens might not be as strong as he is right now for the playoff push. Blaming Clemens would be like blaming Wickman for not being a member of the Braves in April and May when blown saves were very common for the Braves bullpen.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Clemens selfish?

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:25 pm

Of course he's selfish, you wouldn't sit out half the season if you weren't. That said, would I take him on my team? Hecks yes I would. I'd love for him to come back to the Yankees half way through next season.

I do think that if Celemns had been with the team the whole year the Astros would have been in the playoffs. Of course it's just an assumption, but you'd have to think him being there would have translated to another win or two. He's not the only one who should catch blame for this though. Lidge, Garner, and a bad offense are all to blame.

TheYanks04 wrote:Came to NY for the same reason.

Wasn't he traded to NY?
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrkrab2003 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 pm

whats selfish about clemens sitting out half the season? Nothing at all. Did you guys ever consider his age might have something to do with this?? Come on now and THINK! Its not like i expected intelligent dialogue with a bunch of new york fans.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gfantasy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:49 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:whats selfish about clemens sitting out half the season? Nothing at all. Did you guys ever consider his age might have something to do with this?? Come on now and THINK! Its not like i expected intelligent dialogue with a bunch of new york fans.

Whoa whoa whoa!

It's not NY Fans....it's YANKEE FANS
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:49 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:whats selfish about clemens sitting out half the season? Nothing at all. Did you guys ever consider his age might have something to do with this?? Come on now and THINK!

I know I didn't. He was in shape enough to pitch in the WBC, so I have a feeling he could have pitched the first half of the season.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrkrab2003 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:54 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
mrkrab2003 wrote:whats selfish about clemens sitting out half the season? Nothing at all. Did you guys ever consider his age might have something to do with this?? Come on now and THINK!

I know I didn't. He was in shape enough to pitch in the WBC, so I have a feeling he could have pitched the first half of the season.

Do you have any idea what strategy is?
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:56 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:

Do you have any idea what strategy is?

Of course I do, that's a silly question. If you want to call what he did a strategy, I'll concede that it was a strategy...a very selfish strategy.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrkrab2003 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:00 pm

you just dont understand baseball. Do you know how hard a full season of baseball is on the body? Especially on a 44 yr hard throwing pitcher?
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:03 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:you just dont understand baseball. Do you know how hard a full season of baseball is on the body? Especially on a 44 yr hard throwing pitcher?

Do you know the meaning of the word selfish?

Also, unless you are a major league hard throwing pitcher, I don't believe you know too much about it either.

self‧ish
–adjective
1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers