Clemens selfish? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens selfish?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clemens selfish?

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 pm

Now this is just an opinion I thought of.

A true "good" teammate would not skip half of the season to come back and watch his team fall out of the playoffs by 2-3 games.

Everyone wanted Clemens back and if he had started the season with the Astros' they would be in the playoffs right now.

To me its kinda messed up that Clemens would skip out on half of the season assuming that he could just get back in the rotation and lead them to the playoffs.

A true team player would start the season with the team and give them the best chance of succeeding.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clemens selfish?

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:07 pm

acsguitar wrote:Now this is just an opinion I thought of.

A true "good" teammate would not skip half of the season to come back and watch his team fall out of the playoffs by 2-3 games.

Everyone wanted Clemens back and if he had started the season with the Astros' they would be in the playoffs right now.

To me its kinda messed up that Clemens would skip out on half of the season assuming that he could just get back in the rotation and lead them to the playoffs.

A true team player would start the season with the team and give them the best chance of succeeding.

Clemens is about the $s. Don't let him fool you otherwise. He went to Toronto for the biggest pay day. Came to NY for the same reason. Retired and then un-retired for more huge bucks. As to why he took so long to decide this year, there are 2 theories on that. Thee first and more popular one is that from Clemens' own mouth that he is sort of balancing his desire to be with family with that of playing. In other words, this allowed him the biggest payday with the smallest amount of stress/work for himself and impact on his family. I sort of accept that. There has been no real evidence beyond utter speculation that the alternate theory is true.

That alternate theory is that Clemens got caught using roids last season and MLB hushed it up and cut an un-official deal with Clemens that he not play for a few months as punishment. Probably total nonsense, but there were rumors flying around in this regard that were on some of the wports radio shows and it would not shock anyone's mind to find out that Clemens' workouts were/are just as much nonsense as Bonds' are. But in his case, he has managed to really avoid any serious suspicion.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:07 pm

Selfish? Sure. But the guy doesn't know if he still wants to play.

What I hope he does is start coaching or something and then (if he still wants to play) come back next year after the minor league season ends. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:

Clemens is about the $s. Don't let him fool you otherwise. He went to Toronto for the biggest pay day. Came to NY for the same reason. Retired and then un-retired for more huge bucks. As to why he took so long to decide this year, there are 2 theories on that. Thee first and more popular one is that from Clemens' own mouth that he is sort of balancing his desire to be with family with that of playing. In other words, this allowed him the biggest payday with the smallest amount of stress/work for himself and impact on his family. I sort of accept that. There has been no real evidence beyond utter speculation that the alternate theory is true.

That alternate theory is that Clemens got caught using roids last season and MLB hushed it up and cut an un-official deal with Clemens that he not play for a few months as punishment. Probably total nonsense, but there were rumors flying around in this regard that were on some of the wports radio shows and it would not shock anyone's mind to find out that Clemens' workouts were/are just as much nonsense as Bonds' are. But in his case, he has managed to really avoid any serious suspicion.

Please... steroids?

If I were in Clemens's shoes, then I would do exactly what he is doing. And the rest of the free world would too. Why shouldn't you take the most pay for your services? Why shouldn't you come back from retirement to pitch if you have the opportunity to do so?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 pm

I'd agree with that. He knew he could make 4 million a month and play half a season so why not. Selfish indeed. More for the $ and a heck of a lot less for a love of the game, otherwise he'd have been there in April enjoying what could be his last year because the body doesn't last forever.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby clevername » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Clemens wouldn't have scored runs or closed out games for them during the first part of the season. They probably would have had similar results...and his 44 year old body would have been breaking down by now and everyone would be all over him for coming back when he shouldn't have.

Clemens being at top form now is part of the reason the Astros even have a chance to pull this out.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:08 pm

clevername wrote:Clemens wouldn't have scored runs or closed out games for them during the first part of the season. They probably would have had similar results...and his 44 year old body would have been breaking down by now and everyone would be all over him for coming back when he shouldn't have.

Clemens being at top form now is part of the reason the Astros even have a chance to pull this out.

Interesting point. Although Clemens is in very good shape.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:46 pm

clevername wrote:Clemens wouldn't have scored runs or closed out games for them during the first part of the season. They probably would have had similar results...and his 44 year old body would have been breaking down by now and everyone would be all over him for coming back when he shouldn't have.

I thought of this myself, but I don't buy it. The man is still dominant. There has been no evidence to suggest his body can't sustain 200 IP a year. I firmly believe that if Clemens was around since April, and the Cards had the same record as they do now, the Stros would be the kings of the NL Central.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby gfantasy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:51 pm

TheYanks04 wrote: That alternate theory is that Clemens got caught using roids last season and MLB hushed it up and cut an un-official deal with Clemens that he not play for a few months as punishment. Probably total nonsense, but there were rumors flying around in this regard that were on some of the wports radio shows and it would not shock anyone's mind to find out that Clemens' workouts were/are just as much nonsense as Bonds' are. But in his case, he has managed to really avoid any serious suspicion.

Do you have a link for this?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby decoy562 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 pm

shall we start a "Clemens is an a-hole but I'll still draft him b/c I need to win" club?

:-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers