T.O. attempted suicide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

T.O. attempted suicide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Why am I not surprised that you have 5 ie windows open and 2 firefox and that you have a link to the general talk forum right on your toolbar?

I guess you're not familiar with Firefox. :-D It means he has a tab open with General Talk open (like a window, within Firefox), not a link on a toolbar. ;-D

Exactly i mean why would i need a Link to general talk when I have a shortcut key
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:18 pm

One thing that disturbs me with the press conference is his stupid publicist.

She said the most ridiculous thing when she said, "T.O. has 25 million reasons to not be depressed." Money has zero to do with depression. A lot of people who suffer from depression actually have tons of money, a lot of what comes with money is added burdens and responsibilities that cause more stress to a person's life.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:25 pm

Phatferd wrote:One thing that disturbs me with the press conference is his stupid publicist.

She said the most ridiculous thing when she said, "T.O. has 25 million reasons to not be depressed." Money has zero to do with depression. A lot of people who suffer from depression actually have tons of money, a lot of what comes with money is added burdens and responsibilities that cause more stress to a person's life.

Yea thats a pretty stupid comment. They had sports psychologist on who confirmed that the % of atheltes depressed in comparrison to the general population being depressed is equal.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Phatferd wrote:One thing that disturbs me with the press conference is his stupid publicist.

That's true, but I find that people who are depressed when they have a lot of money, don't know what to do with the money. I question why there's a general perception as to why a lot of folks feel that money is the root of all evil, or depression, in this case I suppose. It's not the money that gives added burdens: it's the people and why is that? Because they probably don't know how to handle their money and that is more of a cause as to why people with a lot of money are depressed. This goes hand in hand with how people deal with stress. It's all internal really.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:44 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

That's true, but I find that people who are depressed when they have a lot of money, don't know what to do with the money. I question why there's a general perception as to why a lot of folks feel that money is the root of all evil, or depression, in this case I suppose. It's not the money that gives added burdens: it's the people and why is that? Because they probably don't know how to handle their money and that is more of a cause as to why people with a lot of money are depressed. This goes hand in hand with how people deal with stress. It's all internal really.

My point is it doesn't matter how much money someone has in order to be depressed. Depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain, people don't have control over it. I am just saying that since it is just as likely for someone with money to have depression as a common man, however, some of the stresses that come with money can help lead to added stress.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:49 pm

Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

My point is it doesn't matter how much money someone has in order to be depressed. Depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain, people don't have control over it. I am just saying that since it is just as likely for someone with money to have depression as a common man, however, some of the stresses that come with money can help lead to added stress.

Yea depression contributed to Chemical inbalance is totally different then depression from say not knowing what to do with your money. However, you could be mildly chemically depressed and the money issues can put you over the edge.

The human mind is a funny thing
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:53 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Yea depression contributed to Chemical inbalance is totally different then depression from say not knowing what to do with your money. However, you could be mildly chemically depressed and the money issues can put you over the edge.

I have more of a problem with the sentiment that money causes greater burdens because when it comes down to it, it doesn't. Money is inherently good. I'll agree money could be the tipping point, but surely, not the root or cause. I happened to suffer from moderate bipolar depression in college (I do to some extent today too) and so sadly, I know the ups and downs that come with those crazy neurotransmitters acting up. :-/
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:59 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

I have more of a problem with the sentiment that money causes greater burdens because when it comes down to it, it doesn't. Money is inherently good. I'll agree money could be the tipping point, but surely, not the root or cause. I happened to suffer from moderate bipolar depression in college (I do to some extent today too) and so sadly, I know the ups and downs that come with those crazy neurotransmitters acting up. :-/

I disagree totally with your statement that the main problem with people who suffer from depression and have money is that they don't know what to do with money.

In a person like T.O.'s case or Terry Bradshaw they aren't having that problem. They make their money by being a public figure and what comes with that is all this hype and national attention that surround you. You have armies camped out in front of your house waiting to see you walk 15 feet from your door to your car in your driveway. You have people telling you if you're really injured or not. You have people jumping to conclusions and "friends" telling media what you're doing in your personal life as undisclosed sources, so you never really know who is telling people your business.

I also know all about those neurotransmitters...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

I disagree totally with your statement that the main problem with people who suffer from depression and have money is that they don't know what to do with money.

In a person like T.O.'s case or Terry Bradshaw they aren't having that problem. They make their money by being a public figure and what comes with that is all this hype and national attention that surround you. You have armies camped out in front of your house waiting to see you walk 15 feet from your door to your car in your driveway. You have people telling you if you're really injured or not. You have people jumping to conclusions and "friends" telling media what you're doing in your personal life as undisclosed sources, so you never really know who is telling people your business.

I also know all about those neurotransmitters...

I didn't necessarily mean figures like T.O., like Terry Bradshaw, or an even Brad Pitt who are constantly under the public microscope, more so than others. I was inferring to people with big lots of money in general and they don't necessarily have to be famous.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:12 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Terry Bradshaw

Where did that one come from? :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert