T.O. attempted suicide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

T.O. attempted suicide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

T.O. attempted suicide

Postby thedude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:13 am

DALLAS -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after fire rescue personnel arrived, The Associated Press reported Wednesday citing a police report.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that [his] prescription pain medication was empty and observed [Owens] putting two pills in his mouth,'' the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated, 'Yes.'"

Owens was taken to the emergency room Tuesday night. A source close to Owens had told ESPN's Ed Werder early Wednesday morning that Owens was suffering an adverse reaction to painkillers taken for treatment of his fractured hand.

"This is not serious," Owens' publicist Kim Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, before news of the reported suicide attempt was released.

A report earlier Tuesday stated that Owens would practice with the team Wednesday and possibly play Sunday at Tennessee, but his availability this week and beyond is now uncertain.

Doctors treating the Dallas Cowboys receiver were trying to induce vomiting when he arrived at Baylor Medical Center, according to a television report.

Owens was brought by a fire rescue crew to the hospital, Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT reported, citing sources the television station did not identify. A reporter for the station later said she saw Owens being wheeled down the hall.

Calls from The Associated Press to Owens' agent, his publicist and the Cowboys were not immediately returned Tuesday night. The hospital told the AP that they do not have a patient registered by Owens' name; however, federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Owens fractured the fourth metacarpal bone in the Cowboys' victory over the Washington Redskins and underwent surgery on Sept. 18. The next day, a plate was screwed in, protecting the bone so it can heal without further damage.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells mentioned in a press conference shortly thereafter that pain medication had made Owens ill, apparently making this the second time he has had an adverse reaction. The incident that sent him to the hospital Tuesday night apparently occurred sometime after Owens took medication after catching passes at the Cowboys' facility on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the Cowboys also practiced without tight end Jason Witten, whose wife was having a baby. Wide receiver Terry Glenn practiced, albeit with several stitches in his thumb.

"He was trying to cut some tape off his uniform," Parcells said. "He had his hand down in his pants and he missed. Fortunately he cut his hand."

With the Cowboys having had a bye last weekend, Owens could return without having missed a game. Before Tuesday's late developments, Owens said he would play Oct. 8, when he gets to face his former team, the Eagles, in Philadelphia.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 am

Wow. 8-o 8-o I just don't get it, but I never understand why somebody would want to kill themselves.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am

According to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio, the 49ers and Eagles both tried to get Owens to seek mental health help. Apprently TO was very insulted by this.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:49 am

Eagles fans are disappointed with yet another TO failure.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:49 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Wow. 8-o 8-o I just don't get it, but I never understand why somebody would want to kill themselves.

Its more chemical then anything. Some people feel it way more then everyone else.

Its not an really an active choice that he would "want" to kill himself. Depression really isn't a choice nor a stable frame of mind.

Anyways its sad. The guy is the most popular athlete in football and the stress must have caught up to him.

I wish him well
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:51 am

definetly the last guy id expect to attempt suicide. i hope he can work through his demons.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mugrila » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:12 am

Love him or hate him, this isn't something you want to see happen. :-/
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:35 am

I was just told the Dallas Police just held a press conference, but I can't find a link that states what was said.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:48 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I was just told the Dallas Police just held a press conference, but I can't find a link that states what was said.

yea i watched it live. it was pretty much fluff, saying they couldnt confirm or deny anything.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:09 pm

acsguitar wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Wow. 8-o 8-o I just don't get it, but I never understand why somebody would want to kill themselves.

Its more chemical then anything. Some people feel it way more then everyone else.

Its not an really an active choice that he would "want" to kill himself. Depression really isn't a choice nor a stable frame of mind.

Anyways its sad. The guy is the most popular athlete in football and the stress must have caught up to him.

I wish him well

Yeah, I agree. Supposedly T.O. told a friend he was depressed. But yeah, I can't imagine T.O. mulling suicide. I could imagine that he could be depressed considering that some folks put up a front that they're full of alacrity and depend heavily on ego and bravado as a source of confidence to go alongside with his athletic talent. Some folks play sports as some sort of channel of catharsis or a fix for temporary happiness/euphoria, but it just seems out of character for T.O. It somehow doesn't fit to me, but I think there's a ton of pressure on him in Dallas, much like in Philly especially when you consider his preseason shenanigans, which has really promoted all this media buzz.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to General Talk