Heroes on NBC... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Heroes on NBC...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Heroes on NBC...

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:57 am

So I just finished watching Season 3, or the portion of Season 3 that has been shown on air. I started watching them "Instantly" on my 360 after the new 360 software update allowed the 360 to be a Netflix conduit. Anyways season 1 was awesome, season 2 was good, season 3 went off the tracks but rallied back on towards the end. Luckily the show does a fantastic job at developing characters, otherwise the dam burst of cliche plot twists at the beginning of season 3 would of had me stop watching, well that and Kristen Bell/Dania Ramirez :-L .

I'm glad as hell Sylar is back to the power coveting killer the show started him as. To me throughout the first season the two most interesting characters were Noah and Sylar. Noah because the first season made his motives and morality very ambiguous for a long portion of time, and Sylar because I love a good villain.

Oh also this show likes to play with the "Scorpion and the Toad" parable a lot
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dracovonborax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Boy...they sure did clean house tonight. i won't say anything specific since you West Coasters are still waiting to see but Man... I did enjoy it and hope things aren't what they seem. what did/do you all think?
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Metroid » Fri May 14, 2010 7:44 pm

NBC finally gives Heroes the ax. They're not even going to let them tie up loose ends....probably too many to tie up. It's too bad really. The first season was fantastic, but they took a great show and completely blew it up. I'm not really surprised, I guess I just hoped it would get back on track somehow. Oh well.

NBC is no longer holding out for 'Heroes.'

According to the Live Feed, the network has officially axed the series, about ordinary people with extraordinary powers, after four seasons.

The news ends a rocky ride for 'Heroes,' which premiered in 2006 to a staggering 14.3 million viewers and a 5.9 rating among adults 18-49, making it NBC's highest-rated fall drama premiere in five years. The show continued to hit ratings gold in subsequent episodes, including its season 2 premiere, which attracted 14.1 million viewers.

Linkage
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 pm

I stopped watching after the winter break this year. I've been planning on catching up this summer. I'm glad it was canceled though because it had been a chore to watch for a long time. Now I can just watch the handful of episodes left and be done with it.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:55 pm

That's too bad. The first season was incredible. The next three seasons were incredibly bad. I can't understand how that happened.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby jfg » Fri May 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Just like the comic books it was mimicing, the show had bad story arcs and way too many people without clear cut roles and changing identities. I stopped watching in season 3 because it was crazy how the superheroes were constantly changing their personality. It works in comic books because for the most part that world is one that can freely change between different arcs from writer to writer. It doesn't work with TV.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm

meh...one last thing i need to watch
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Fri May 14, 2010 9:08 pm

bleach168 wrote:That's too bad. The first season was incredible. The next three seasons were incredibly bad. I can't understand how that happened.

It was all going so well until the finale of season one. There needed to be a battle between Sylar and the rest of the group. The good guys needed to prevail, and Sylar's character needed to die. Permanently. Then season two should have had a new foe, either individual or group, to challenge the good guys who had finally found each other.

Instead, they fell into the same trap that Lost got caught up in and started caring more about the characters than the story. They were afraid to let anyone go who they felt was too valuable to the show, so Sylar lived, and Heroes became a full-fledged soap opera. That's why we got Claire's stupid blood-of-eternal-life, allow-us-to-kill-off-everyone-without-recourse solution and the non-acting chick who would never die and instead play three versions of herself. Of course, they didn't help themselves by coming up with powers that even the writers couldn't contain without some preposterous violation of logic (I'm looking at you, Hiro).

These shows need to get their head out of their butt and realize that 24 did just fine killing off people that the fans were attached to. In fact, it's better because of it.

I'm just glad that I was able to extricate myself from Heroes after only two seasons; something I probably should have done with Lost.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Metroid » Fri May 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Totally agree Sluggers. I don't know why they always let characters get in the way of the story.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dracovonborax » Sat May 15, 2010 2:28 pm

well.. it was one hell of a ride. i was afraid that this would happen and i, for one, will miss it. i just really didn't see where they were going to go with the show with last seasons finale. would be nice if NBC would let them tie up the loose ends but i understand the choice. oh well, good things always come to an end sometime.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk