Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:35 am

Philly_05 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:Mauer McCann V Mart

I was like the others and just thought oh take a C later on. So I grabed AJ P later in our draft. He sucked the entire first half. So I went out and got McCann for Mench when McCann was on the DL. Well needless to say i'm all smiles now. I dumped AJ awhile ago grabed Kendall later on in the year off the wire. And I gained well over a pt on a so called later better option. It never hurts to take the top player at these spots. Just have to take him in a good position so it doesn't hurt the rest of your team.

The mCCann pickup was a steal, but AJP has been a quite decent C and I might add is a better pick than Kendall.

Not really atleast when I start him and that's all that really matters. He can have a 2.4 avg but I start him and he scores 5-8 pts when I do well you know the deal. ;-D

Yeah well if you know when a player is going to get hits and when he will not, you are doing well. On the bottom line though, AJP is a far better C than Kendall over the long term. Kendall is basically near worthless though he has been better this year than last.

298/1/54/74/11 vs 296/16/63/65/0.

The only thing Kendall is giving you is a few Sbs at the cost of no power at all. The ther cats are basically a wash overall.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:Mauer McCann V Mart

I was like the others and just thought oh take a C later on. So I grabed AJ P later in our draft. He sucked the entire first half. So I went out and got McCann for Mench when McCann was on the DL. Well needless to say i'm all smiles now. I dumped AJ awhile ago grabed Kendall later on in the year off the wire. And I gained well over a pt on a so called later better option. It never hurts to take the top player at these spots. Just have to take him in a good position so it doesn't hurt the rest of your team.

The mCCann pickup was a steal, but AJP has been a quite decent C and I might add is a better pick than Kendall.

Not really atleast when I start him and that's all that really matters. He can have a 2.4 avg but I start him and he scores 5-8 pts when I do well you know the deal. ;-D

Yeah well if you know when a player is going to get hits and when he will not, you are doing well. On the bottom line though, AJP is a far better C than Kendall over the long term. Kendall is basically near worthless though he has been better this year than last.

298/1/54/74/11 vs 296/16/63/65/0.

The only thing Kendall is giving you is a few Sbs at the cost of no power at all. The ther cats are basically a wash overall.

Well not really in our league he is actually worse than Kendall.. 340 pts to 308. He K's much more than Kendall takes less walks. Scores less runs and only has 13 more RBI with 15 more HR. That's pretty weak. Factor in trying to play a guy one or two times a week when McCann has an off day. You go with Kendall hands down you don't have to worry about the - pts of him K'ng that often. Oh and the league I play in is not roto so HR and things like that don't matter it matters who gets the points. What way they do that if it's singles walks or not going and k'ng 2 or 3 times every few days.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 578)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:30 pm

Is McCann's average legit? I can see his power being for real but I mean he's never hit over .290 in any season in his professional career and all of a sudden he's hitting .335? I love this guy, he and Holliday alone have basically won my championship for my this year but I'm actually kinda scared to have him as one of my 7 keepers for next year. :-o Is this really out of the blue or is he just a great hitter?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:39 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:Is McCann's average legit? I can see his power being for real but I mean he's never hit over .290 in any season in his professional career and all of a sudden he's hitting .335? I love this guy, he and Holliday alone have basically won my championship for my this year but I'm actually kinda scared to have him as one of my 7 keepers for next year. :-o Is this really out of the blue or is he just a great hitter?

Who are your other keepers/options?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:49 pm

McCann's power is surely legit, but you're right to question his BA. I think .280/25/85/85 is a reasonable estimate for him for next year, and he's still only like 22 or 23 or something crazy like that, so there's plenty of room for improvement.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:33 pm

I can see why you'd question his average at this point, but his minor league stats are deceiving. He was young for every place he played at, and played in some extreme minor league parks. He's just a fantastic hitter at the plate, none of his hits are "cheap," and he certainly hasn't had any help from infield hits due to his bum ankle. He's usually pretty slow, but he's been Papi slow due to his ankle this year. I honestly don't think his average is that far off. He's consistently hit over .300 every month, I don't see any reason he shouldn't hit .310+ next year.

Man, I love Brian McCann. One of the few really, unbelievably, so much so I need sunglasses bright spots for the Braves future.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:59 am

Good point about his age relative to level and the park effects. Still, I don't see him as a perenial contender for the batting title (Note: if he qualified this year, he'd be like 3rd or 4th in the NL). I doubt he'll have a career BA better than .300, but it's certainly possible. Of course, those numbers at C would make him the best hitting C ever; even better than Piazza. (Which is why I don't think he'll do it. ;-))

George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gfantasy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:51 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Good point about his age relative to level and the park effects. Still, I don't see him as a perenial contender for the batting title (Note: if he qualified this year, he'd be like 3rd or 4th in the NL). I doubt he'll have a career BA better than .300, but it's certainly possible. Of course, those numbers at C would make him the best hitting C ever; even better than Piazza. (Which is why I don't think he'll do it. ;-))

No one is better than Mike!
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:51 pm

No one that we've seen thus far, that's for sure. Although an arguement could probably be made that Yogi was better defensively and played more of his games behind the plate.

George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers