Brian McCann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian McCann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:54 am

After VMart's fall this season, I don't think I will ever draft a catcher early again.

In the past, I've played the free agent catcher roulette with guys like Josh Phelps (remember him?), Paul LoDuca (his career year), Craig Wilson, Phil Nevin, Javy Lopez (career year), etc., guys that qualified at C but did not really play the position. I drafted Willingham and VMart this yera and then traded away Willingham instead like an idiot.

So, I plan on grabbing someone late and/or picking up a random C during the year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Yes, take a catcher later in the draft. Hmm, where did McCann go in drafts this year? Yup, late, if he was even drafted at all. I'm liking Russ Martin of the Dodgers as a late catcher pick next year.

I like Russell Martin late in the draft as well. He has a lot of upside!
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gfantasy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:10 am

Music2004Man wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:Yes, take a catcher later in the draft. Hmm, where did McCann go in drafts this year? Yup, late, if he was even drafted at all. I'm liking Russ Martin of the Dodgers as a late catcher pick next year.

Russell Martin will be my McCann of this year, next season.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby brandnew » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:

Russell Martin will be my McCann of this year, next season.

I don't think he has as much power. He might be a Paul LoDuca type player, though. Like

60 R
13 HR
70 RBI
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gfantasy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:53 am

brandnew wrote:I don't think he has as much power. He might be a Paul LoDuca type player, though. Like

60 R
13 HR
70 RBI

id take that in the later rounds...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:45 pm

Agreed, I'd definetly prefer to take Jojima or Pierz later on.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:23 pm

Mauer McCann V Mart

I was like the others and just thought oh take a C later on. So I grabed AJ P later in our draft. He sucked the entire first half. So I went out and got McCann for Mench when McCann was on the DL. Well needless to say i'm all smiles now. I dumped AJ awhile ago grabed Kendall later on in the year off the wire. And I gained well over a pt on a so called later better option. It never hurts to take the top player at these spots. Just have to take him in a good position so it doesn't hurt the rest of your team.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Philly_05 wrote:Mauer McCann V Mart

I was like the others and just thought oh take a C later on. So I grabed AJ P later in our draft. He sucked the entire first half. So I went out and got McCann for Mench when McCann was on the DL. Well needless to say i'm all smiles now. I dumped AJ awhile ago grabed Kendall later on in the year off the wire. And I gained well over a pt on a so called later better option. It never hurts to take the top player at these spots. Just have to take him in a good position so it doesn't hurt the rest of your team.

The mCCann pickup was a steal, but AJP has been a quite decent C and I might add is a better pick than Kendall.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby clevername » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:33 pm

He's definitely going to go too high in the draft next year for my tastes and I just can't fit him into my keepers.

But I'll be damned if he isn't my MVP of the playoffs. During the current 2 week championship he is currently hitting .464 with a 1.536 OPS, 6 runs, 4 homers, and 16 RBI.

I imagine that performance will stick in quite a few managers' minds, both owners and opposition, when next year's draft rolls around.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:25 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:Mauer McCann V Mart

The mCCann pickup was a steal, but AJP has been a quite decent C and I might add is a better pick than Kendall.

Not really atleast when I start him and that's all that really matters. He can have a 2.4 avg but I start him and he scores 5-8 pts when I do well you know the deal. ;-D
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers