Tigers clinch playoff spot! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers clinch playoff spot!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers clinch playoff spot!

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:29 pm

Last edited by Dannomyte on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:31 am

Congrats to all Tigers fans. As an NL fan, I have no obligation to any AL teams and will be cheering you guys on.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:58 am

Tigers celebration video.

http://www.hyphenpipe.com/tigers.htm
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:01 pm

Hmm. I seem to remember watching a pretty crappy little team back in 2003 that barely avoided going down in history as one of the worst single seasons by a team ever. And in 2006, here we are... Is this one of those "5 year plans" that Randy Smith always talked about, but failed miserably at?

Clinching the playoffs is a good start. Now to try and hold onto the division.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gfantasy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:07 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Hmm. I seem to remember watching a pretty crappy little team back in 2003 that barely avoided going down in history as one of the worst single seasons by a team ever. And in 2006, here we are... Is this one of those "5 year plans" that Randy Smith always talked about, but failed miserably at?

I think the Tigers front office did a good job with this bunch. Worked the farm, signed important vets like Mags and Pudge and then hiring a great manager. ;-D ;-D
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:22 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Hmm. I seem to remember watching a pretty crappy little team back in 2003 that barely avoided going down in history as one of the worst single seasons by a team ever. And in 2006, here we are... Is this one of those "5 year plans" that Randy Smith always talked about, but failed miserably at?

The shadow of '03 makes this all the sweeter! I hope they can beat the Royals enough to eek out the division title, it would be only right to give the fans the home games against the A's.

Congratz Tigers! Thank you for a very enjoyable season and good luck in the play-offs ;-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Even though Leyland is clearly prioritizing being ready for the playoffs over winning the division, just watching the race for the division title is exciting. Much moreso than watching the team spend the last couple of days of 2003 trying to avoid an all time record of being bad. I would also love to see a Twins-Tigers ALCS.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:43 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Even though Leyland is clearly prioritizing being ready for the playoffs over winning the division, just watching the race for the division title is exciting. Much moreso than watching the team spend the last couple of days of 2003 trying to avoid an all time record of being bad. I would also love to see a Twins-Tigers ALCS.

I'd rather see it go Tiges/As, then Tiges/Yanks in the ALCS. I love the idea of playing the Yankees, but would much rather play them after having gone through a few playoff games first.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:18 pm

I primarily want to see the Twins due to the rivalry they have going. A divsion race that goes down to the final day and the fact that they were the Tigers' last playoff opponent back in '87 (which I was too young to remember well). Of course the Yankees would be an interesting matchup, because they're the Yankees. To win the World Series, knocking out the Yankees feels like a must. The A's don't really excite me at all. A dangerous opponent they definitely are, but they are soooo boring. No rivalry and they're not the Yankees. I guess at least it would be nice to have a chance to shut up all those who worship Billy Beane like he's some kind of god of GMs.

I don't know. Would it be good to get the Yankees done and over with while Randy Johnson's status is still in doubt and Sheffield is still adjusting at first base and hope Wang's playoff inexperience will hurt them? But then again, I'd rather the Tigers not open up the playoffs on the road in Yankee Stadium and instead open up on our own turf against the A's who are only 6 games over .500 on the road and 1 game over .500 against AL Central opponents. Not as exciting, but probably better for this team's chances in the postseason.

Hopefully by the time I check this forum again tomorrow, the title of this thread will have changed to "Tigers clinch division!"
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:28 am

I hate the Twinkies, it's that simple. As long as they play in that joke of a stadium I cannot look at them as worthy of respect. More of a beer league softball type team with Johan.

You will have to learn to like the idea of playing the Yankess. I don't see how they stand a chance given how much they packed it in the after clinching a playoff spot. Snap your fingers and they reverted to '03.

Can they get it back together in NY? I'd feel a lot better about it if they had taken the last five games more seriously. Scarey how bad the pitching suddenly looks 8-o
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers