Playoffs vs. Regular Season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playoffs vs. Regular Season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Regular season is much more fun in my opinion. Especially in H2H. In losing weeks, I still try to squeeze out more won categories since it's total amount of wins vs. losses that matters in your record. In playoffs, you either win the most categories that week, or you don't. If you have a bad couple first days, its just depressing.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:18 pm

Real apples/oranges question to me. I guess I like the regular season more, because it lasts five months, and that's a whole lot of fun. The playoffs are kind of anticlimactic...not as much so as the last month of a Roto season, but it's still the season winding down. There's always something bittersweet when you hit playoff time. I actually prefer it if there are some upsets at playoff time. The regular season told us who's the best, we don't need the playoffs to validate that.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:11 am

rainman23 wrote:The regular season told us who's the best, we don't need the playoffs to validate that.

I am leaning towards agreeing with you, which is why I started the thread. Now - whats the work around to this issue?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:19 am

I was liking the playoffs until the championship week, where I had three starters rocked in the first two days. Since then it's been almost two straight weeks of misery.

Still in it, though...
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rainman23 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 pm

gfantasy wrote:
rainman23 wrote:The regular season told us who's the best, we don't need the playoffs to validate that.

I am leaning towards agreeing with you, which is why I started the thread. Now - whats the work around to this issue?

I'm not sure what issue you're referring to. Making sure that the best team wins the playoffs? Playoffs become pointless if that's the goal, fantasy baseball or anywhere else. I believe the regular season tells us who the best team is, especially when one team dominates. If the post-season always validated that...yawn. Redundant. What's the point? Post-season is a tournament. Anybody can get hot, anyone can win a short series, yada yada yada. And yeah, luck plays a role. Fantasy baseball or anywhere else. This idea that somehow post-seasons make sense everywhere else, but not here, because of the luck factor? I don't get that.

If the issue is, "how do we make sure the regular season winners get the recognition they deserve?" then that's a better question to me. If it's a money league, it's easy. If you give 75% of the pot to the regular season victors, then that's going to be where the greater value lies. Just playing for fun? I don't know. People aren't robots. They'll value what they want to value.

Or is it some other issue entirely...?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:30 pm

No. I agree with some parts. We implemented an adjusted payout scale which helped a little.

This year and last year, HORRIBLE teams have won the league and some owners are starting to get frustrated.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby rainman23 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:54 pm

gfantasy wrote:No. I agree with some parts. We implemented an adjusted payout scale which helped a little.

This year and last year, HORRIBLE teams have won the league and some owners are starting to get frustrated.

I assume you meant that horrible teams won the playoffs. My attitude is, good for them. But if that possibility bothers you that much, adjust your payouts some more. If that ain't good enough, go to Roto. If you want weekly H2H action, but you don't want playoffs...use a service where you can turn off playoffs. Or all agree to drop your entire rosters at the end of the regular season, to show how much you care about the post-season. If you want playoffs, but you don't like the way people are winning them (for example, roster churning), then change your rules to discourage or eliminate those techniques. You can make the league whatever you want, it just starts with having a bunch of guys who want to have the same league. If that's not true of your league, maybe it's time to split up.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:02 pm

rainman23 wrote:
gfantasy wrote:No. I agree with some parts. We implemented an adjusted payout scale which helped a little.

I assume you meant that horrible teams won the playoffs. My attitude is, good for them. But if that possibility bothers you that much, adjust your payouts some more. If that ain't good enough, go to Roto. If you want weekly H2H action, but you don't want playoffs...use a service where you can turn off playoffs. Or all agree to drop your entire rosters at the end of the regular season, to show how much you care about the post-season. If you want playoffs, but you don't like the way people are winning them (for example, roster churning), then change your rules to discourage or eliminate those techniques. You can make the league whatever you want, it just starts with having a bunch of guys who want to have the same league. If that's not true of your league, maybe it's time to split up.

No. We're all in agreement for the most part. It just gets frustrating.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:35 pm

you know, I really enjoyed the regular season more... with the season winding down and fantasy football on the horizon, I really started to lose interest by the time fantasy playoffs rolled out.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers