Playoffs vs. Regular Season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playoffs vs. Regular Season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Playoffs vs. Regular Season

Postby gfantasy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:48 pm

To all owners who have been in the playoffs, regardless of the outcome...

Did you enjoy the playoffs or the regular season more? Did you feel that the sample taken of your team (regular season) was evident in the playoffs?

For me, this is the 2nd time that I felt like I had the best team and didnt even place top 3 once the playoffs ended.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:59 pm

I enjoy the playoffs more. Basically, if my team is a #4 or 6 seed, well, I know that given the week-by-week dynamics, I'm content that I have a shot at advancing round by round and if I lose, well, no big deal. Most of the teams I've had this season have dominated, either as a #1-2 seed, and so for the past month or so, I paid less attention to those teams, just because they're cruising into the playoffs. So, the season at that point can feel anticlimactic or disenchanting to say the least.

I just like the "do or die" excitement of the playoffs, where some weeks will hinge on relatively minute details. Playoffs can be maddening and there are folks who would be peeved about being eliminated despite having the top squad all season long, but that's just a part of the playoffs. It takes good luck to get through the season as well, much like it takes bad luck for you to lose a week in the regular season or even worse, in the playoffs. It can be agonizing and very enjoyable either way.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby gfantasy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:05 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I enjoy the playoffs more. Basically, if my team is a #4 or 6 seed, well, I know that given the week-by-week dynamics, I'm content that I have a shot at advancing round by round and if I lose, well, no big deal. Most of the teams I've had this season have dominated, either as a #1-2 seed, and so for the past month or so, I paid less attention to those teams, just because they're cruising into the playoffs. So, the season at that point can feel anticlimactic or disenchanting to say the least.

I just like the "do or die" excitement of the playoffs, where some weeks will hinge on relatively minute details. Playoffs can be maddening and there are folks who would be peeved about being eliminated despite having the top squad all season long, but that's just a part of the playoffs. It takes good luck to get through the season as well, much like it takes bad luck for you to lose a week in the regular season or even worse, in the playoffs. It can be agonizing and very enjoyable either way.

I agree to an extent. I feel like luck plays a more significant role in the playoffs which skews the regular season results.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby eftda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:12 pm

I love the playoffs because of one reason. I can use the RP tick without being caught. The RP trick is to have 3-4 great closers who win you 3 pitching cats (SV, ERA, Whip).
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:27 pm

I love the H2H regular season. Just because every week is exciting, and every Sunday is awesome. From April-August, I cant get enough of my team, checking it, following it, trading, etc.

But then the playoffs hit, and its like nothing matters anymore. My leauge awards more money to the Regular Season winner than the playoff winner, so its almost like the playoffs are anticlimatic.
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:33 pm

I enjoy the regular season more. It's just so exciting, while the playoffs are often very frustrating.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gfantasy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:48 pm

1337_Dude wrote:I enjoy the regular season more. It's just so exciting, while the playoffs are often very frustrating.

Ditto
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby eftda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:54 pm

gfantasy wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:I enjoy the regular season more. It's just so exciting, while the playoffs are often very frustrating.

Ditto

Has anyone other than me woke up in the middle of the night worrying if their rosters where set or not?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:50 am

all i know is that if my roto league team was in a playoff, i would have been toast easily. thats with a 1st place team by about 10 pts in roto, but i have bums like beltran, rolen, thome, renteria, etc. who have not contributed much in the past month, which means i wouldve been a victim of an upset.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ukrneal » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 am

I like both. But then again, in my top leagues, people recoginize both accomplishments, so both are meaningful.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers