Is this possible? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Is this possible?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:04 pm

DK wrote:
3 run homer wrote:good luck, hey there's always the CFL ;-D

Took the words out of my mouth. If you're extremely lucky and hardworking, maybe the CFL or Euro League or Arena is in your view. But if you're just starting now, the chances are still extremely slim.

He could go back to highschool or get arrested and play in a prison league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reynolds80 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm

Update 9/25/06

Two days, two sessions of punting. I got a Wilson NFL size football and I found a great net at an old city softball field that I can punt into over and over. I punted for an hour straight both days. At the end of my 2nd session my right leg was pretty fatigued. I'm surprised at how much better I was punting at the end of day 2 than I was when I started on day 1. I guess the most progress is made in the first few days that you do anything.

I also did some hardcore stretching, running, and leg extensions after the day 2 workout. My right quad is pretty sore, but it's a good sore because I can tell I'm working those muscles good.

I'm getting some good hangtime but my spirals are inconsistent. I'm probably hitting it 30 yards in the air on the good ones, with a few duds mixed in. All in all, I think I'd make a fine JV high school punter right now. Still a long way to go.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:03 pm

reynolds80 wrote:Update 9/25/06

Two days, two sessions of punting. I got a Wilson NFL size football and I found a great net at an old city softball field that I can punt into over and over. I punted for an hour straight both days. At the end of my 2nd session my right leg was pretty fatigued. I'm surprised at how much better I was punting at the end of day 2 than I was when I started on day 1. I guess the most progress is made in the first few days that you do anything.

I also did some hardcore stretching, running, and leg extensions after the day 2 workout. My right quad is pretty sore, but it's a good sore because I can tell I'm working those muscles good.

I'm getting some good hangtime but my spirals are inconsistent. I'm probably hitting it 30 yards in the air on the good ones, with a few duds mixed in. All in all, I think I'd make a fine JV high school punter right now. Still a long way to go.

Keep it up man. I'm excited to see the mini series they make about you. However, you know that if you do make it to the NFL you'll leg will be blown up by terrorists or come down with some strange leg threatening disease like Gaut.

But as long as you get their thats what counts! ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby reynolds80 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:10 pm

One clarification. When I said "still a long way to go" at the end of last post, that was a huge understatement.

I shouldn't be thinking about the results, anyway. I should be thinking about the PROCESS. That's straight from my boy Nick Saban.

I will keep punting into that net and updating this thread for as long as it takes.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:17 pm

reynolds80 wrote:One clarification. When I said "still a long way to go" at the end of last post, that was a huge understatement.

I shouldn't be thinking about the results, anyway. I should be thinking about the PROCESS. That's straight from my boy Nick Saban.

I will keep punting into that net and updating this thread for as long as it takes.

I recommend not sleeping or bathing
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:If you are seriously going to attempt this, I'd suggest practicing for more than one hour a day, at least two or three hours, for a single year. If at the end of that year you are not booming 55+ yarders I'd give it up. You will most likely know if you are going to be good enough to even attempt it after a year (or less), so there's no point in devoting seven years of your life to it.

I agree entirely with this. If you really want to play pro football, you're going to have to work a lot harder than just 1 hour a day, even if you just want to be a kicker. You practically have to devote your life to this goal if you really want it. Art is right though, if it's not looking good after a year or so, it might be time to give it up.

And if your dream is just to play pro football, I'd suggest going out for the CFL or NFL Europe (which will still be extrmely tough, but not to the extent of a superior pro league like the NFL). The NFL is just so much harder a league to make it in, and I just can't see them signing some random 32 year old guy who has had no kicking experience ever before.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:56 pm

When you say you're kicking it 30 yards, are you already tacking on the 15 you sacrifice to make sure it doesn't get blocked?

cause if you're not, stop this right now.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:25 am

Why don't you just try to learn to throw the knuckle ball?!

There is so much skill that goes into punting (it is not just kicking a ball 150 feet, you also have to put back spin on it and be able to aim the ball into the corners, ect).

If you spend 7 years trying to throw a knuckle ball, you might eventually get a look from a semi-pro team, and then how knows maybe you end up pitching for some ML team that got hit with crazy injuries.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:26 am

There are a million more useful, realistic, and rewarding activities you should spend that hour per day practicing. If you took up a language and practiced one hour a day, you could probably become fluent in several other languages in those seven years. If you don't become a pro-punter, that skill is useless. Even if you don't become an FBI agent, knowing or having the flexibility of using five languages will still be very useful.

Just my two pennies. B-)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:58 am

davidmarver wrote:There are a million more useful, realistic, and rewarding activities you should spend that hour per day practicing. If you took up a language and practiced one hour a day, you could probably become fluent in several other languages in those seven years. If you don't become a pro-punter, that skill is useless. Even if you don't become an FBI agent, knowing or having the flexibility of using five languages will still be very useful.

Just my two pennies. B-)

I don't think it's about what's more useful or realistic, though. I think reynolds80 fully realizes what he's doing, and the likelyhood of accomplishing something like this. He wouldn't have brought it up if he wanted to do something like learn a few languages with his life over the next few years. After reading his posts, this guy really seems like he wants to follow through on a dream of his, and if he wants to give it a shot, he might as well give it his best one. You do after all only live once.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk