Girlfriend question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Girlfriend question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Girlfriend question

Postby Howie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Hey. So me and my girlfriend have been going out for about 3 months. However, i start school again on Thursday in San Diego. She lives in Los Angeles (where i lived during the summer). How do you guys think i can effectively continue the relationship and keep the momentum going? Calling her every night/every other night, etc? Going home every weekend or every other weekend to visit her? Something else? I guess i'm just confused right now.

Sounds lame, i know, but i was just wondering !+)
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm going to come across as a pessimist at best here, but my honest advice (having been in similar situations) is to give up on it now. I'm assuming that you're young, 18? 19?, so go out and enjoy your youth. I know that you probably feel like she is the one, and this will work out and be great and everything...but the fact of the matter is, it probably wont. End it peacefully now before it all goes to crap in a few months.

Now...all that being said, it's not impossible to keep a long distance relationship going. My wife and I, before we were married, lived on oppostie sides of the country from each other for a year and a half and maintained our relationship. So if it's really worth it, go for it, but it will take a lot of work.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Girlfriend question

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Howie wrote:Hey. So me and my girlfriend have been going out for about 3 months. However, i start school again on Thursday in San Diego. She lives in Los Angeles (where i lived during the summer). How do you guys think i can effectively continue the relationship and keep the momentum going? Calling her every night/every other night, etc? Going home every weekend or every other weekend to visit her? Something else? I guess i'm just confused right now.

Sounds lame, i know, but i was just wondering !+)

If you like her enough, then that's probably the way to go. Of course if you think it's just a passing thing then I'd say not to bother.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm going to come across as a pessimist at best here, but my honest advice (having been in similar situations) is to give up on it now. I'm assuming that you're young, 18? 19?, so go out and enjoy your youth. I know that you probably feel like she is the one, and this will work out and be great and everything...but the fact of the matter is, it probably wont. End it peacefully now before it all goes to crap in a few months.

Now...all that being said, it's not impossible to keep a long distance relationship going. My wife and I, before we were married, lived on oppostie sides of the country from each other for a year and a half and maintained our relationship. So if it's really worth it, go for it, but it will take a lot of work.

I'd have to agree. I don't think it's going to be very easy to do if you're both in school. With that said, I think you should just kinda do what feels right once you get back into the normal groove of school and stuff. If you miss her, give her a call. Don't become a stalker though. :-b
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:27 pm

I actually envy your situation. The last relationship I was in became a long distance one and by long distance I mean, I live in Los Angeles and she lives in France. So, going to France on the weekends or with her visiting me in L.A. would've been dreamy...if only it weren't so far and if only it weren't so expensive. I would've been happy if she even lived in San Francisco, let alone us sharing the same time zone. :-b

What we did to keep it alive was dedicate something like 4-5 hours each week (sometimes more) when we could talk by IM or phone. In your situation, I suppose it depends on comfort level between you two. You could do a mixture of what you just stated really, but I think calling like every other day will work out fine.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:29 pm

From my experiences, you are better off getting out of it now then waiting. I have been through 2 long distance relationships, and I don't think either one of them lasted more then 2 weeks after the move.

Saying that though, my best friend and his wife were very far apart(one went to UNC, the other went to Virginia) during college and they did indeed make it through. I guess I was just not patient enough around all those college girls to make mine last. :-b
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Well really you are setting yourself of for being miserable.

One of you will cheat or want to cheat and then things will fall apart.

I think you should just break up or decide that in college there are no girlfriends and boyfriends
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Howie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:38 pm

Alright, so i guess it can work if i want it to enough. It seems like alot of you guys or your friends have stuck through times like this to be with the girl that eventually became your wifes (not that i want to get married yet, im only 21!). But you guys are also right, there are plenty of fish in the sea. :-b
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:41 pm

if you are in a different area code, then it's not cheating.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:47 pm

Howie wrote:Alright, so i guess it can work if i want it to enough. It seems like alot of you guys or your friends have stuck through times like this to be with the girl that eventually became your wifes (not that i want to get married yet, im only 21!). But you guys are also right, there are plenty of fish in the sea. :-b

But the sea feels a lot shallower than you think. It's more like a pond. :-b

It will work if both of you want it to work and want it so badly to work that you two will make it work. I was at your age when my relationship turned long distance, but it takes a lot of growing up to do along the way. It's not so much about building discipline from cheating, but rather you have to be a little more understanding (and dare I say, you'll have to develop an even greater deal of trust) just because the dynamics are different from a relationship where you'll see each other virtually everyday.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Next

Return to General Talk