Weekend Work - Motivation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Weekend Work - Motivation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Just to respond...

I routinely work 50+ hours per week... however, I am not permitted to document more than 40 hours per week on my time sheet specifically because I'm "not supposed to." Only my direct manager knows how much I work, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that he has little influence over my work incentives.

Also, this is not specifically for my company, but for my client... I'm an IT consultant and they need "consultants" to do this work. I'm considered a resource, or rather, nothing more than "billable hours" to the president of my company.

To think, 6 months ago I liked my job. At that point I would have worked a weekend without any incentive simply because I thought things were going well and advancement through my company was right over the horizon. Now I'm not so sure. They also seem to be in trouble financially. The executive managers are not approving any spending, and employees are starting to get spread absurdly thin.

Also, my cell phone bill has risen significantly over the past months because of business related calls. I also take trips to clients sometimes up to 2 hours away. I don't get reimbursed for either and with travel, an 8 hour day becomes 11 or 12; and I hear about people who do get reimbursed for these things. Is that BS?

Sounds like you are more of an idependent contractor the way you're talking......

Anyhow, most companies pay all work related travel expenses for their employees. Plane tickets, hotels, rental car, gas, food allowance, etc. Yours doesn't? :-?

That's odd. Most consulting firms that I know of pay for any work-related expense especially when you're on the road. Sounds like you're working at one of those mid-tier niche IT consultant firms that's not quite Capgemini or BearingPoint and definitely a way off from McK, BCG, and Bain.

If you've committed to working weekends, then I suppose you have to be a trooper in doing so. Like 1337 said, you're probably doing so to be in the good graces of the higher-ups.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 pm

Well, I am trying to be in "good graces" because that's how it goes. I already know this is a "gain experience" type of job because my 3 year plan is to get out of the area, so I'm not bummed to the point where I feel stuck... just frustrated and disillusioned by my company.

The company pays all travel-related expenses for overnight business trips only; hotel, car, food, etc... the cell phone and miles I'm talking about is just in-general.

And "mid-tier niche IT consulting firm" is exactly how I'd describe it. The other frustrating part is that business is booming; workload in my department has tripled in the past 2 months and our work force is the same, spread over more clients. So, to me, it feels like (since it's a private company) the pres is lining his pockets while we all work harder and his overhead stays the same.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I think I have had 3 or 4 Saturdays off in the past 4 or 5 years, so working on the weekend means nothing to me. ;-D I would jump on it and do it and then hope I get something in return for it later. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:04 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I think I have had 3 or 4 Saturdays off in the past 4 or 5 years, so working on the weekend means nothing to me. ;-D I would jump on it and do it and then hope I get something in return for it later. ;-D

so do you work 6 days a week?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm

Coppermine wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I think I have had 3 or 4 Saturdays off in the past 4 or 5 years, so working on the weekend means nothing to me. ;-D I would jump on it and do it and then hope I get something in return for it later. ;-D

Some people work 7 days a week. X-I
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Some people work 7 days a week. X-I

Well it's all about motivation; I would work 7 days a week if properly motivated. And motivation, mind you, comes in different forms. Money is just one. Respect, power, prestige, a sense of meaning or the feeling of making a positive impact on the world. People can be intrinsically motivated to work if its something they can convince themselves they want to do. But it's external factors that have affected my intrinsic motivation; specifically simple recognition, a feeling of accomplishment and/or a specified and attainable goal. My employer is disorganized and understaffed, my projects are increasingly mismanaged by my superiors and I spend more time worrying about things that could go wrong that actually focusing on my projects. Add to the fact that my job is in IT, simply making my company ridiculous amounts of money robbing the pants off of huge manufacturing corporations that would rather push a disposable consultant around than bother with the baggage associated with additional workforce.

Good God, I'm starting to sound like a commie! Let's not go that far, I'm just frustrated with my job... I imagine it happens to everyone. Hell, it happens to ACS at least once a month (same industry, see a trend?)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:46 pm

I think if you refuse to work when they tell you to, they fire you. At least that has been the situation in every job i have ever had. It is a very good form of motivation.

At one job i had, they fired people if they were late 6 times in a 12 month period, you warned after you were late 3 times . They had this policy despite the fact that hiring and training cost them about $50K.

You got it easy brother.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:08 pm

thedude wrote:I think if you refuse to work when they tell you to, they fire you. At least that has been the situation in every job i have ever had. It is a very good form of motivation.

At one job i had, they fired people if they were late 6 times in a 12 month period, you warned after you were late 3 times . They had this policy despite the fact that hiring and training cost them about $50K.

You got it easy brother.

If my "motivation" to work was to "not get fired" then I'd be very miserable; then again, I wouldn't be doing a job where that was my only motivation. I'm not really sure what kind of company your talking about... I mean, what kind of employees does a company have if they're constantly threatening people about training costs and being late? I've never been late to work; in fact, I often go in early and work through my lunch break... what's my motivation for that? Well certainly not the threat of being fired. I've also never called in sick.

I work my ass off and put in long hours at my job. Brother.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Coppermine wrote:

Well I really work 5 1/2 days a week. I take off Tuesday afternoons and Sunday. I work somewhere in the neighborhood of 65 hours or so a week. 12 hour days on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, 10 hours on Saturday, and about 5 hours on Tuesday. I am on a salary, so whether I work 80 hours or 40 hours, the pay is the same. I have a business to run, so I basically have to be there quite a bit. I enjoy my job so the hours do not burn me out like it would if I did not like the job. And of course there is always Christmas to look forward to, as I get my bonus at that time.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk