Weekend Work - Motivation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Weekend Work - Motivation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weekend Work - Motivation?

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:20 pm

So, I've been asked to work next weekend on a company project. I accepted with the assumption that there would be some motivation to do so. Thus far, there has been none. They may give me two additional personal days, but even that hasn't been offered yet. Now they're wondering why everyone else is turning down the offer where the motivation at this point is basically "Work this weekend, pretty please!"

Just to give some background, I'm a salaried employee, relatively low level (I'm 24 and just two years out of college) and I'm expected to work 40 hours a week. Also, since the weekend work requires travel and being away from Friday through Monday, it's not like I get to go home in the evenings. I worked plenty of part time jobs in high school and college that required me to work weekends; I saw that as "paying my dues" for getting through college and having the privilege of having weekends off. Now I'm not sure if I'll get anything. Meanwhile, I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with my company. There is almost no motivational factors for working there... pay is comparative low in the field, benefits are there (401(k) WITHOUT any match and healthcare) but there is starting to become a disparity between employees who have some work tenure and newly hired employees who seem to be getting some more perks (better equipment, larger budgets, etc).

Just trying to get a feel for how you'd perceive this situation... what kind of motivation would you expect? Would you work simply to be in good favor with management, even if it's likely management won't notice or care? Plus I have those damn TPS reports to deal with.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:30 pm

Whenever I am asked to work weekends, not at this job thank god, I've said. No

I have no motivation to work weekends so that the managers look good for not getting their work schedule done on time.

Its not my fault you, the manager, didn't create a good plan of action and now you are behind.

My company would have to pay me time and a half
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Heeeeyyyyyyyy Copper, whaaat's happening.....

If everyone else is turning it down, it sounds like they might have to offer something. Sicne you've already committed, do it, but make it known that you have a limited window to work with (just so its not you alone the whole time breaking your butt).
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:41 pm

my brother always offered to work weekends and saturdays and generally didnt get that much incentive to do so. however, he was routinely promoted over the people that didnt. if you honestly believe your efforts wont get noticed then dont work weekends and use that time to find a new job.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:43 pm

The real perk if it even matters is probably the fact that where you accepted it without having any perks, is the fact you may get in good with your bosses.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:00 pm

You're on salary and only have to work 40 hours a week? Consider yourself lucky. Salary usually equals whatever amount of work needs/has to be done, which is significantly more than 40 hours a week.

As to the weekend work, totally up to you. Should make you look good for doing it, which could have rewards down the road. Then again, most people I know would kill just to have a salaried job where they only worked 40 hours a week, so most everyone I know is used to working whatever amount of hours need to be worked.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:01 pm

I've worked my share of jobs where I didn't even want to go to work on my scheduled days, not to mention my days off, so I would definitely need some kind of motivation--most likely financial--to work weekends on those jobs. But I would never choose a career where I needed motivation past the desire to do a better job.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:24 pm

Just to respond...

I routinely work 50+ hours per week... however, I am not permitted to document more than 40 hours per week on my time sheet specifically because I'm "not supposed to." Only my direct manager knows how much I work, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that he has little influence over my work incentives.

Also, this is not specifically for my company, but for my client... I'm an IT consultant and they need "consultants" to do this work. I'm considered a resource, or rather, nothing more than "billable hours" to the president of my company.

To think, 6 months ago I liked my job. At that point I would have worked a weekend without any incentive simply because I thought things were going well and advancement through my company was right over the horizon. Now I'm not so sure. They also seem to be in trouble financially. The executive managers are not approving any spending, and employees are starting to get spread absurdly thin.

Also, my cell phone bill has risen significantly over the past months because of business related calls. I also take trips to clients sometimes up to 2 hours away. I don't get reimbursed for either and with travel, an 8 hour day becomes 11 or 12; and I hear about people who do get reimbursed for these things. Is that BS?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:42 pm

Coppermine wrote:Just to respond...

I routinely work 50+ hours per week... however, I am not permitted to document more than 40 hours per week on my time sheet specifically because I'm "not supposed to." Only my direct manager knows how much I work, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that he has little influence over my work incentives.

Also, this is not specifically for my company, but for my client... I'm an IT consultant and they need "consultants" to do this work. I'm considered a resource, or rather, nothing more than "billable hours" to the president of my company.

To think, 6 months ago I liked my job. At that point I would have worked a weekend without any incentive simply because I thought things were going well and advancement through my company was right over the horizon. Now I'm not so sure. They also seem to be in trouble financially. The executive managers are not approving any spending, and employees are starting to get spread absurdly thin.

Also, my cell phone bill has risen significantly over the past months because of business related calls. I also take trips to clients sometimes up to 2 hours away. I don't get reimbursed for either and with travel, an 8 hour day becomes 11 or 12; and I hear about people who do get reimbursed for these things. Is that BS?

Sounds like you are more of an idependent contractor the way you're talking......

Anyhow, most companies pay all work related travel expenses for their employees. Plane tickets, hotels, rental car, gas, food allowance, etc. Yours doesn't? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:45 pm

You don't get reimbursed for Miles or Cellphone.

yea thats weak dude
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk