Long Season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Long Season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 pm

JTWood wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I hate pitching giving up the lead 5 seconds after we get it.

Tell me again, why was our best trade deadline acquisition Jorge Sosa? :-?

We put band-aids on bullet wounds, and it's coming back to bite us. :-P

Great commentary. Tell me, who would you have traded for and what would you have given to get it?

i dont think its appropriate to take a narrow view and just look at the trade deadline. the offseason has seen disappointing acquisitions as well. the team just hasnt done that great of a job at bringing in talent over the past year or two, whether its the offseason or during the season.

the team says the prices are too high during the offseason so they bring in budget players. then the team says the prices are too high for a deadline deal. i dont really care where the blame goes--owners not spending money or walt not making the right trades.

the mulder trade really exacerbated the problem. perhaps if it worked out things would be different. maybe the team is just riding out the bad part of a transition phase. they want to go to from trading away prospects to growing their own. there is going to be a few years where things are hard because talent takes time to move through a system. whatever the reason, they have pretty much been sitting on their hands since the mulder deal.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:54 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i dont think its appropriate to take a narrow view and just look at the trade deadline. the offseason has seen disappointing acquisitions as well. the team just hasnt done that great of a job at bringing in talent over the past year or two, whether its the offseason or during the season.

A look at the other acquisitions:

Encarnacion is pretty good, and Looper's been serviceable. But then we also picked up Miles, Bigbie, Ponson, and Spezio.

Oh, and then there's Jeff Weaver (5.21 ERA with the Cards) and Preston Wilson (Batting .219 with the Cards). :-[
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:01 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Oh, and then there's Jeff Weaver (5.21 ERA with the Cards) and Preston Wilson (Batting .219 with the Cards). :-[

the cards got both of them for free, ie no risk :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:21 pm

wrveres wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Oh, and then there's Jeff Weaver (5.21 ERA with the Cards) and Preston Wilson (Batting .219 with the Cards). :-[

the cards got both of them for free, ie no risk :-o

Free crap is still crap, and you get exactly what you "pay" for. ;-D
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:58 pm

ok so I am trying to figure this out ..

are you a Cardinal fan, or a Cardinal basher.
You live in ST Louis, and you used to be an Astros fan which could eaily get you killed. And now you sport the Rockies logo of all things, and then openly bash Izzy, nevermind he has a medical condition, and has been great for the Cards over the years .. But yet, you seem to be all into the Cardinals themselves.

I don't get it.

Maybe it is puberty. Those can be confusing times for a young man, and if so, I just want you to know, I understand.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:19 pm

<rant>

This ... team ... sucks. %-6

I'm not sure what the answer is or what's happened the last month but they don't deserve to make the playoffs, and if they do somehow back in I don't see them winning a game. Personally I'd like to see them tear it down completely and restart using Pujols as the centerpiece of the offense and Carpenter/Reyes as the compliment on the mound. Contnuing to patch the leaks and hoping beyond hope the NL continues to suck even worse than it does now. I realize that isn't going to happen because it's about instant gratification but what kind of gratification is anybody getting watching this team throw up all over themselves? I know I'm not. I'm willing to wait 4-5 years because that's how long it's gonna be til their competitive again using the current system of brining in cheap FA and recycling everyone elses garbage.

Even when they were winning 100+ games I always felt it was largely a product of luck and good breaks. The rotation was either pitching out of its mind, the pen was a lot less hittable than it should have been or the aging offense was somehow clicking on all cylinders in spite of the fact they were running on borrowed time. I realize I'm completely overracting, but I'd rather model a franchise after the Twins or Angels where you can reload from within and not be so dependent on the whims of the FA market like this team has been for the last 4-5 years. To continue to try and sustain the current success they've had via the bloated FA market isn't going to work ... at all. The only possible scenario where it is viable is if the stupid teams quit driving up the price of mediocre talent, and that's never going to happen, at least not in the current culture.

If this means getting rid of LaRussa and/or Jocketty or some other huge shake up like that, so be it, but this team is bad now, and I don't see it getting any better next year unless some serious changes are made both on the roster and philosophically at the highest levels of the organization.

</rant> :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:11 am

Tell us how you really feel, StD.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:40 am

wrveres wrote:are you a Cardinal fan, or a Cardinal basher.

You're not allowed to be both?
wrveres wrote:You live in ST Louis

Well, not technically anymore. I'm at KU for the forseeable future.
wrveres wrote:and you used to be an Astros fan which could eaily get you killed.

As I've stated before, really more of an Oswalt fan.
wrveres wrote:And now you sport the Rockies logo of all things

Rockies are my team in the Rubber Game.
wrveres wrote:But yet, you seem to be all into the Cardinals themselves.

Well, at least until the crybaby owners make good on their threats to move to another city. When they're your hometown team, there's always going to be something between you and them.
wrveres wrote:I don't get it.

Welcome to the club. ;-D
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 am

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:
wrveres wrote:are you a Cardinal fan, or a Cardinal basher.

You're not allowed to be both?
wrveres wrote:You live in ST Louis

Well, not technically anymore. I'm at KU for the forseeable future.
wrveres wrote:and you used to be an Astros fan which could eaily get you killed.

As I've stated before, really more of an Oswalt fan.
wrveres wrote:And now you sport the Rockies logo of all things

Rockies are my team in the Rubber Game.
wrveres wrote:But yet, you seem to be all into the Cardinals themselves.

Well, at least until the crybaby owners make good on their threats to move to another city. When they're your hometown team, there's always going to be something between you and them.
wrveres wrote:I don't get it.

Welcome to the club. ;-D

Fair enough .. :-D
I was just playing with ya anyways.. Picking on you Cardinals

go JayHawks.

what are you studying in school?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:OK it is panic time. As such all logic and rational thought is out.

I hate the Astros. It has always been a fun and friendly competition with them but no more. This is the 3rd year in a row they are trying to pull off a next to impossible comeback and I've had enough. Your stadium is a joke and Biggio might be the anti-Christ. Nothing is going to make to happier than seeing you sitting home in October.

CHECK :-D

I hate the Padres. Does everyone on the team have a mullet? And why are the road uniforms so ugly? Is that to distract the other team? We will see you in the first round and we will send you home again.

Coming Soon ;-D

I hate the Reds. Why the Reds? Cause they might be the only team more hapless than the Cardinals and that deserves my scorn.

I hate everything else. I hate seeing eye singles and botched defensive plays. I hate pitching giving up the lead 5 seconds after we get it. I hate consistantly missing out on scoring opportunities. I HATE INCONSISTANCY! And I hate whoever is reading this.

:-° :-°
I feel better now. :-D
BTW - If you can't tell already this was done as a joke, mostly. ;-)

Seriously, the pressure may be on but I'd still rather be the team with the lead than the team trying to catch up. Get it together, focus, and go out and win some games. Shut everyone up and take that fire into the playoffs.

GO CARDS!
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Cardinals