Eric Gagne - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Gagne

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 pm

I think that with Papelbon likely to go into the rotation, the Red Sox would be a good fit for Gagne.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:I think that with Papelbon likely to go into the rotation, the Red Sox would be a good fit for Gagne.

Possibly. As Pogo mentioned I think he would be solid for the Indians or Reds. If they want that extra edge to win games, they've got to have a guy that can bail them out. However, Gagne is a huge risk. :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:52 pm

The Sox are rumored to be going hard for a Japanese player to close for them next year. (There's a thread on it around here somewhere....) If they get him, I doubt they'll want/need to go for Gagne.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he got a 1 year deal somewhere to close and bring his value back up.

SF, ATL, CIN, FL, and CLE all seem like good options.

I think you can add the Cubs to that list as well as I personally think that will be Gagne's destination. They have money to spendm, more so when Dusty is rightfully fired. I believe Hendry and his teammates have lost all confidence in Dempster closing games, most people have. Though, I do think Dempster could be a usefull member in a pen, just not as closer. The Giants have 1 more year to put up with Benitez, the Braves I think will sign Beaz or Wickman, if he doesn't retire. The Reds know that Guardado isn't an option anymore since he's out for the year and was a pending FA anyways. I think right now they have Balfour or Bray close at minimal cost unless they can swing a trade for someone like like Turnbrow or Soriano, someone young, talented, and cheap. Which will be hard to find. The Marlins need a closer but I don't think they go for a big name. I could actually see them go after Turnbrow since I think the Indians have fallen in love with the ideal of bringing in Dotel as their closer, which they've been pretty public about.
Last edited by Havok1517 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm

Not based on anything, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Yanks try to get him. Of course he'd have to be up for set up duty.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Half Massed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:44 pm

Some possibilities in my mind: Boston (if they don't get that Japanese player), Cubs, Reds, SF, maybe Arizona if they think they can compete next year.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:09 pm

Half Massed wrote:Some possibilities in my mind: Boston (if they don't get that Japanese player), Cubs, Reds, SF, maybe Arizona if they think they can compete next year.

That all depends on the success on Jose Valverde. The Diamondbacks believe he can be dominant as the closer and they'll give him the job next year if he can continue to impress them.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers