Polanco to play tonight!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Polanco to play tonight!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Polanco to play tonight!!

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:15 pm

DETROIT -- Second baseman Placido Polanco said on Sunday that he'll miss the rest of the season and possibly part of next year after suffering what he believes to be a setback in his rehab from a separated left shoulder.

Asked about his shoulder after Sunday's 12-8 loss to the Orioles, Polanco told reporters, "I'm out for the rest of the year and maybe Spring Training [next year]."

He repeated the statement to other reporters on his way out of the clubhouse. He did not elaborate, but this would indicate he believes he'll need more time to recover from the injury. A timetable that would leave him out of Spring Training 2007 would suggest he believes surgery is a possibility.

The Tigers, however, are not confirming Polanco's timetable and are limiting their comments on the injury in general. Kevin Rand, the head athletic trainer, said through a team spokesperson that Polanco is still considered day-to-day, and that they'll continue to work with him on a daily basis toward a possible return.

Other indications sent mixed signals as far as Polanco's plans. His locker was nearly empty after the game, but he had a bag packed for the team flight on Sunday evening to Chicago, where the Tigers will start a three-game series against the White Sox on Monday. Several teammates were caught by surprise when told of Polanco's statement and said they hadn't heard anything.

Polanco has been out of action since separating the shoulder making a diving catch in Boston on Aug. 15. He had been making steady progress toward a possible return to action, but has been battling soreness since he began taking live batting practice over the last few days. Polanco did not take batting practice on Sunday, though that wasn't a total surprise given a day game after a night game.

Before the game, manager Jim Leyland said that Polanco's shoulder was "pretty sore," and that he was guessing Polanco would not be ready to play on Monday.

"But I can't say that for sure," Leyland said. "He might be 100 percent today."

Asked after the game when Polanco might return, Leyland said, "I have no idea."

The original hope was that Polanco could play sometime this coming week, possibly during the White Sox series. If he can't return at all, then the Tigers would have to finish their magical season without one of their main components.

Polanco was batting .294 with 17 doubles, three home runs and 44 RBIs in 103 games before the injury, primarily hitting second. Defensively, he was a steady presence at second base and formed an impressive double-play tandem with shortstop Carlos Guillen.

The Tigers are 11-20 since Polanco went on the disabled list on Aug. 16. They hadn't won a game without a home run in that span until Saturday's 2-0 win over the Orioles. They've used a combination of Omar Infante and Neifi Perez to take Polanco's place at second, though Infante has received the bulk of the playing time there lately.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... p&c_id=det
Last edited by Dannomyte on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:10 pm

From Jason Becks blog.

Just got off the phone with Dave Dombrowski, who said Polanco remains on track to take batting practice Monday in Chicago and possibly return later on after that. He's not sure whether Polanco was frustrated at questions or what happened, but he says Polanco is NOT out for the year and into next spring training.

Not sure wtf is going on but I seriously hope Polanco hasn't already mentally checked out of this season.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Dannomyte wrote:From Jason Becks blog.

Just got off the phone with Dave Dombrowski, who said Polanco remains on track to take batting practice Monday in Chicago and possibly return later on after that. He's not sure whether Polanco was frustrated at questions or what happened, but he says Polanco is NOT out for the year and into next spring training.

Not sure wtf is going on but I seriously hope Polanco hasn't already mentally checked out of this season.

That's some very odd stuff. Why would he say that? Hopefully he is just sick of the questions, but that he wouldn't have cleared things up with teammates bothers me almost as much as that he feels he won't be ready for ST. That is odd as heck, too, since it is not possible to project a recovery time for a minor shoulder seperation to that date. I don't like this turn of events, not one bit. :-t
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:53 pm

That's always good when the injured person says they're done, but someone else says their not. It's without a doubt that Polanco has been rushed and he might be struggling with that. Hopefully we'll learn more in the coming days.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:55 pm

From Danny Knobler

CHICAGO -- What's new with Placido Polanco?

Not much, actually. The situation is the same as it was 2-3 days ago, with Polanco taking batting practice and possibly 3-4 days from returning to the Tiger lineup.

It's true, the last 24 hours have been something of a mess, with Polanco unfortunately telling a few reporters that he was done for the year, when he knew (and the Tigers knew) that wasn't true. He said today that he was frustrated with feeling some soreness in the shoulder after getting a cortisone shot, frustrated that the Tigers had lost to Baltimore and frustrated at always being asked how he was feeling.

Polanco had the cortisone shot Saturday night. The shots take a couple of days to take effect (remember Joel Zumaya last week), but then they're usually pretty effective. They're supposed to hurt the next day.

Anyway, Polanco took BP today, both in the indoor cage and a full round on the field before the game. The Tigers even had Andy Van Slyke throw to him, and since Van Slyke throws harder than the other coaches, that's usually one of the final steps to coming back. He's not ready to play yet, but he's not that far away.

It's too bad Polanco said what he did yesterday, and too bad that the Tigers didn't get out in front of the story before it got blown up bigger than it ever should have been.

But what's the ultimate effect? Basically, nothing.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:20 am

Polanco apologizes, amends statement - he's day-to-day

CHICAGO - Placido Polanco says he's sorry.

Polanco apologized Monday for the misleading statements he made Sunday, and he put an end to one of the stranger episodes of this Detroit Tigers season when he admitted that he's not going to miss the rest of this season.

In fact, there's a real chance he won't miss the rest of this week.

"Amazingly, I feel a lot better (Monday), better than Friday, better than Saturday," said Polanco, who hasn't played since separating his left shoulder on Aug. 15 in Boston. "It's a day-to-day thing."

Polanco didn't play in Monday's 8-2 Tiger win over Chicago, and it's unlikely that he'll play tonight or Wednesday night against the White Sox. There is some chance that Polanco could play this weekend in Kansas City, which would give him a chance to play at least a half-dozen games before the playoffs begin.

So why, then, did Polanco tell some reporters Sunday that he was done for the year?

"I never should have said it," Polanco said. "I said it because I was pretty frustrated. There were a lot of things. We lost a game (Sunday) that we should have won, I wasn't able to do anything, I was hurting and I knew I wasn't going to be able to play in this (Chicago) series. And everybody was asking me the same questions every day."

Here's the truth: Polanco, whose shoulder felt a little sore after his first two days of batting practice, had a cortisone shot in the shoulder Saturday night. As usually happens with cortisone shots, he felt more sore immediately after it than he did before.

Not surprisingly, Polanco felt a lot better Monday, and he took batting practice, both in the indoor cage and on the field with the rest of the team. The Tigers even had him hit off Andy Van Slyke, their hardest-throwing coach, which is usually one of the final steps towards coming back.

How soon will Polanco be able to play?

"The sooner the better," he said.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... xml&coll=1
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 am

Polcano back any day now???

CHICAGO - Placido Polanco looked relaxed. He looked happy.

"Because I feel better," Polanco said Wednesday. "I feel better.I think it's going to be OK."

Polanco still wasn't prepared to say exactly when he'll return to the Detroit Tigers lineup, but it finally does seem like it's a day-to-day decision. Any day now, Polanco could be back.

He took batting practice before all three games of the Chicago series that ended with Wednesday night's 6-2 Tiger win.

Polanco hasn't played since Aug. 15, when he separated his left shoulder while making a diving catch in Boston. The Tigers won that night to improve to 78-41 and take a 6 1/2-game lead in the American League Central.

Since that night, the Tigers are 13-20.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... thispage=1
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:16 pm

There's no chance Polanco is going to be 100% any time soon. If it means more Infante, then playing Polanco sparingly would be a good idea. If it means more Neifi, then get Polanco out there as fast as possible.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:39 am

Polanco to return to the line-up tonight

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - After nearly half an hour’s worth of swings off a real pitcher, second baseman Placido Polanco declared Friday that he’s ready to return to the Detroit Tigers lineup.

Tonight, he’ll return.

“It doesn’t hurt,” said Polanco, who separated his left shoulder on Aug. 15, and hasn’t been in a game since. “Well, I guess I should say it bothers me more than it hurts. I’m comfortable enough to start playing.”

Manager Jim Leyland will take it easy with Polanco, who looked fine Friday hitting off rookie right-hander Jordan Tata. Leyland won’t immediately return Polanco to his usual second spot in the batting order, and he said that Polanco won’t play Sunday.

“We’ll see where we’re at after one game,” Leyland said.

Leyland hid it well, but he had to be excited at the thought of having Polanco back. The Tigers are 69-32 in games he starts; they entered play Friday 13-21 since Polanco was hurt.

Polanco was at least as excited to return, and to know that he’ll be ready to play for the Tigers in the playoffs.

“I might never be in this position again in my life,” he said.

Polanco is one of the few Tigers with postseason experience. He was a part-time player for the 2000 St. Louis Cardinals, who made it to the National League Championship Series before losing to the New York Mets. The following year, Polanco was a regular for the Cardinal team that lost in the division series.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... thispage=1
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:11 am

This is good news if he is healthy enough to play. There should be more than enough time left for him to work the kinks out. I loved Nefi the joke Perez's quote, I'll paraphrase. "2nd base is his(Polanco's) position, I was only here to fill in his spot...." Thanks ya tool, I was really concerned than you might create some controversy over who should play 2B. I don't know who is more delusional: Nefi for thinking he is a major leaguer, or Leyland for putting him in the line-up...........ever.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Tigers