Bert Blyleven Drops the F Bomb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bert Blyleven Drops the F Bomb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bert Blyleven Drops the F Bomb

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:36 am

http://break.com/index/bert_blyleven_sw ... ve_tv.html

Anybody know what happened after this?
Last edited by Another Blown Save on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:44 am

Yeah, he said the F word twice, thought they were recording, but they were live. Heard it on Howard Stern.

He was fined and has to take a couple weeks off as a penalty.

Too harsh if you ask me.. he didn't know they were on the air, he made a mistake. I've heard plenty of accidental swearing watching D-Backs baseball.. Gracie, Gonzo.. :-°
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:34 am

Yeah, it's a mistake and it's just words. I love how the f-word makes a movie Rated R but movies where peoples heads are chopped off lands a PG-13. Our society's so-called "values" are, pardon me, f'ed up.

I love how when something like this happens, people call the FCC to complain, like their family was emotionally distraught by it. I hear the f-word on a daily basis, as I assume most people do, but not just from friends and co-workers... cell phones have brought casual conversation to public like nothing else and it's quite common for me to overhear someone on their phone using profanity. Who cares? Oh no, if someone under the age of 17 hears the f-word they're going to be scarred for life!!!! Think of the children!!! Here, watch this "clean" movie where where only 100 people get shot.

Did anyone ever see the Penn & Teller BS episode on profanity?

Anyway, the guy made a mistake and fines are part of the deal. To be honest, with how f-word sensitive our sissy society is, i'm surprised he didn't get canned. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to start a "Janet Jackson's Boob" montage for my unborn children.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:Yeah, it's a mistake and it's just words. I love how the f-word makes a movie Rated R but movies where peoples heads are chopped off lands a PG-13. Our society's so-called "values" are, pardon me, f'ed up.

I love how when something like this happens, people call the FCC to complain, like their family was emotionally distraught by it. I hear the f-word on a daily basis, as I assume most people do, but not just from friends and co-workers... cell phones have brought casual conversation to public like nothing else and it's quite common for me to overhear someone on their phone using profanity. Who cares? Oh no, if someone under the age of 17 hears the f-word they're going to be scarred for life!!!! Think of the children!!! Here, watch this "clean" movie where where only 100 people get shot.

Anyway, the guy made a mistake and fines are part of the deal. To be honest, with how f-word sensitive our sissy society is, i'm surprised he didn't get canned. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to start a "Janet Jackson's Boob" montage for my unborn children.

That's true. Reminds me of back in my college days. I had attended a Catholic university that was fairly notorious for being a "rich kids" school. I find it weird when all the preppy pretty boys and Playboy playmate wannabe slores there say the F word about every fourth word. Some say it for the sake of saying it and sounding "badass" and some use it too much to vent where the word loses all meaning. It's just odd when people, especially "privileged" folks like them, just curse up a storm in public as if they owned the place. The point is everyone curses to some extent and it's practically hypocritical for our society just to go berserk when the F word or whatever profanity is being disseminated, with or without incident, and penalize those folks who uttered one curse word heavily for it.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Yeah, it's a mistake and it's just words. I love how the f-word makes a movie Rated R but movies where peoples heads are chopped off lands a PG-13. Our society's so-called "values" are, pardon me, f'ed up.

That's true. Reminds me of back in my college days. I had attended a Catholic university that was fairly notorious for being a "rich kids" school. I find it weird when all the preppy pretty boys and Playboy playmate wannabe slores there say the F word about every fourth word. Some say it for the sake of saying it and sounding "badass" and some use it too much to vent where the word loses all meaning. It's just odd when people, especially "privileged" folks like them, just curse up a storm in public as if they owned the place. The point is everyone curses to some extent and it's practically hypocritical for our society just to go berserk when the F word or whatever profanity is being disseminated, with or without incident, and penalize those folks who uttered one curse word heavily for it.

I mean, i don't know if I'm contradicting myself here, but I agree and I absolutely hate it when people have to use the F-word every fourth word. It's like everything is F something; they use it as an adjective to describe every noun and as a noun itself. I've always considered an excessive use of the f-word to be a sign of a lack of intelligence or class. Let's be reasonable, it's part of our society and the way we talk to each other... but overusing it s exactly how AD described it; some sort of sad attempt to sound badass. Only exception are those foul-mouthed guys on Deadwood... now they ARE badass.

But, the only thing that annoys me more than people who overuse profanity, are people who are offended by people who do use it. Words and fingers are meaningful, but no ones getting hurt and I have yet to see a study that proves children who hear the f-word before 17 turn into deranged murderers.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk