Halladay is sick!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Halladay is sick!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:20 am

Don Mattingly wrote:Okay so it isn't over but the chances of Loaiza winning are about as good as Tyson ever being a heavyweight contender again !+)

Both starts are against KC. I give him a 50/50 shot at getting 1 win. We'll see.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:24 am

I don't own Loaiza, so I can't comment on his game by game pitching, but I don't see Halladay NOT winning the Cy Young. You can throw out the 15 W's in a row, the 4 CG in a row, whatever. The thing that impresses me most about him is the number of times his WHIP is below 1 with NO WALKS at all in the game.

The man has incredible control this year. No way I could deny him the award at this point. I don't see him collapsing against TB and CLE, his next 2 probable victims.

I see 23 W's and a Cy. 23 worked for Barry last year, 23 will do it for Roy this year. Even if he comes up a bit short, I can't see him not getting.

Plus, there HAS to be some sentimnet among voters for NOT giving the CY to a typically scrub pitcher like Loaiza. Roy has been a stud since pretty much day 1. He didn't get the hype Roy Oswalt or Barry Zito or Mark Prior did, but he's a damn good pitcher.

That said, he won't be on my team next year. He'll sky-rocket in value to the point where I cannot draft him. He ain't THAT good.

Well, most years anyway.

I see a Zito-esque year for him in 2004. Solid, but leaving those who reached for him at the end of the 2nd early 3rd round wanting a little more.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:52 am

Madison wrote:
Here's a funny stat. Before tonight:

Halladay--243 innings, 180 k's.
Loaiza----204 innings, 185 k's.

Halladay has more innings, but less strikeouts!

This is far from over. ;-)

That's part of Halladay's gameplan. He likes to get hitters to hit into easy outs, rather than trying to strike everyone out. That's why even though he's had all those complete games, he's not thrown over 120 pitches in any game this year, even the 10-inning one.

Anyway, it's over for Loaiza. Voters remember best how a player finishes the season, and Loaiza had a chance to pitch his team into pole position in the playoff race and he blew it. If you go by wins and CG you'll put in Halladay. If you go by K's and ERA you'll vote Pedro. If you go by the guy who pitches his team into the playoffs, you'll vote Hudson. Then you should put down Loaiza.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:10 pm

Roy's stats in September:
4-0 4 CG 2 SHO 0.24 ERA 0.59 WHIP .145 BAA

Of course, that's with two starts against the Tigers, and a start against the Devil Rays. There was that 4 hit, 10 K CG vs the Yankees though.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:56 pm

Madison wrote:
guest wrote:but 21 wins -- in a year when it's quite possible he'll be the only 20-game winner -- is pretty impressive to Joe Cy Young Voter.

Hmmm....Loaiza has 19 wins and at least 2 more starts left. I think it's very possible that there will be 2, 20 game winners.

Oops. Looks like I missed Pettitte 8-o . Pettitte won't win the AL CY, but he does have 20 wins now. So it's possible that 3 AL pitchers end up with 20+ wins.

I must admit that I'm starting to lean toward Halladay. Loaiza's really gone downhill lately. Era is up to 2.92 and Halladay is down to 3.18. Their last start of the season could end up making a big difference. Should be interesting to see how they do.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Swinger » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:14 pm

Its been another great year for Pedro.. if only wins weren't such a factor in the cy. Skill is underrated.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:39 pm

pedro was injured for a significant period of time, which is why he's gone. sad though, he STILL leads the league in K's...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pilambp » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:08 am

So where is Loaiza going to go in drafts next year? Do you think that people are going to be cautious about him, thinking he'll return to his pre-2003 form, or is he going to be taken in the top four rounds?
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Super GM » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:16 am

I think that pretty much everyone in the cafe will be careful in drafting Loaiza next year. I'd let the newbies in my league pick him up next year....I don't think he'll be this good again.... As for Esteban winning the AL Cy Young award....I hope he does but I think Halladay will get it....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:14 am

pilambp wrote:So where is Loaiza going to go in drafts next year? Do you think that people are going to be cautious about him, thinking he'll return to his pre-2003 form, or is he going to be taken in the top four rounds?

I am not going to take him early...and if one of my competitors want to take him in the top 4 rounds...then it is not going to hurt my feelings.... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers