the mistakes ive made in expert leagues the past few years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the mistakes ive made in expert leagues the past few years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Ouch, JT. :-o

The biggest mistake I ever made was in the '05 preseason. I traded Alfonso Soriano, Miguel Cabrera, Barry Zito, and Torii Hunter for Johan Santana, Corey Patterson, Jose Reyes, and Pat Burrell in a redraft league. It panned out fine for me with Reyes posting a breakout year that season and I wound up winning the league by quite a handsome margin. However, I had huge buyer's remorse after pulling the trigger, mostly because I drank too much of the Patterson Kool-Aid that it clouded my judgment and of course, Patterson was an epic bust last season.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:36 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:In Yahoo H2H, where ERA is the tie-break for the week, pitching-oriented teams do have a slight edge come playoff time.

That being said, I've really only followed two rules this year, and have done fairly well so far: 1) Don't draft anyone who bats below .275, and 2) Don't draft any pitcher with a low K/9. Those things tend to stay pretty consistant throughout the season when compared to other stats.

Although that approach can backfire when your stud only starts once in a playoff week.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby brandnew » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:27 pm

JTWood wrote:My biggest mistake ever was this pre-season, and since I missed the playoffs by a hair, I think it's safe to say it cost me a chance:

Traded Morneau and Holliday for Colon in a contract league.

Colon was under contract through 2007, and I had Tex, so I thought I didn't need Morneau.

:-P

Of course, I traded Huff for Sabathia straight up this preseason, too, so... B-)

Colon?! Why?! Ouch.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:52 pm

brandnew wrote:
JTWood wrote:My biggest mistake ever was this pre-season, and since I missed the playoffs by a hair, I think it's safe to say it cost me a chance:

Traded Morneau and Holliday for Colon in a contract league.

Colon was under contract through 2007, and I had Tex, so I thought I didn't need Morneau.

:-P

Of course, I traded Huff for Sabathia straight up this preseason, too, so... B-)

Colon?! Why?! Ouch.

I had zero pitching last year. I mean, none, but I had plenty of offense. I finished second-to-last overall in the league, so I was selling my excess for anything I could get. Plus, like I said, he had extra years on his contract beyond '06.

I won the consolation tournament without Colon this year, so if he comes back and helps me win it all next year, I'll be able to forgive myself a little bit.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby brandnew » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:00 am

Ah, I see.

Nice line in your sig, Gym Class Heroes are sick ;-D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedantic » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:34 am

I picked Ryan Shealy over Russell Martin in the first round of my NL-only minor league draft. Martin was the very next name on my list, and I was hoping desperately to snag him with my second rounder. No such luck. And now look what happens. No more Shealy, and my catchers absolutely blow. When I heard Shealy had been traded, my co-workers probably thought I had finally gone utterly bat**** crazy. Good thing I was very far away from Colorado at that point. The idiot GM would not have survived the night if I were within driving distance. :-° :~( :~( The very recollection of this makes me want to crush my mouse into a thousand tiny pieces. :-[ Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:39 am

brandnew wrote:Ah, I see.

Agreed JT. I love Gym Class Heroes. New Friend Request is such a sweet song. What's your favourite? B-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:09 am

go_jays_go wrote:
brandnew wrote:Ah, I see.

Agreed JT. I love Gym Class Heroes. New Friend Request is such a sweet song. What's your favourite? B-)

I'm sorry. I don't know that word.

:-D

Actually, I heard my first GCH just the other day. It should give you an idea how much I liked their music, because I don't quote lyrics in my sig very often at all. I haven't got around to listening to their other stuff just yet. I plan on checking them out further, though.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 am

Okay, I had to go check out more of their stuff, since you guys like them so much. Easily, my favorite song on that album is Clothes Off!. I d/l'd it immediatley. I have a feeling my wife will like that song a lot - and that will make me very, very happy.

B-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:05 pm

JTWood wrote:Okay, I had to go check out more of their stuff, since you guys like them so much. Easily, my favorite song on that album is Clothes Off!. I d/l'd it immediatley. I have a feeling my wife will like that song a lot - and that will make me very, very happy.

B-)

Always sounds good. Did you check out New Friend Request? Another good one is Extra! Extra! ;-D

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I'm done. O:-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers