the mistakes ive made in expert leagues the past few years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the mistakes ive made in expert leagues the past few years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:36 pm

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:
brandnew wrote:My list is:

Draft guys who get 10+ SBs at EVERY position (MOST IMPORTANT)

catcher? 1b? :-?

Yeah... I want to know what this guy's power numbers look like. :-?
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:07 pm

Draft 4-5 closers

Don't be hesitant to grab young top prospect pitchers! Some turn out to be studs in their first years!

(I always believed that stud rookie pitchers would only have a brief period in which they would succeed, maybe 4 starts, and then hit a huge wall, and end up with below average numbers. I had a chance to grab Verlander, Liriano, and Weaver, and didn't.)

Don't go with the best arm in a potential closer's situation, grab the guy who will likely get the job; managers can be idiots! (Zumaya)

drafting closers has to be the worst advice ever.. :-t
i drafted 2 closers this season.. joe blow, and dave weathers.. and i got them wayy late.. a couple of the idiots said i was stupid, but i dont think they realize how easy it is to pick up closers..
throughout the season i picked up the following (on the same team)
rodney- got me 4 saves
tyler walker- 6 saves
jorge sosa- 3 saves
burgos- 3 saves
accardo- 2 saves
duescher- 5 saves
nelson- 4 saves
mastny- 4 saves
farnsworth- 2 saves
wainright- 1 save

and this isnt counting the 10 i picked up from weathers, or the 20 i picked up from joe blow before i traded him..
all im saying is that it is so easy if you just pay attention to the waiver wire to pick up closers, drafting them has to be the stupidest thing a manager can do..
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:10 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:

Draft 4-5 closers

Don't be hesitant to grab young top prospect pitchers! Some turn out to be studs in their first years!

(I always believed that stud rookie pitchers would only have a brief period in which they would succeed, maybe 4 starts, and then hit a huge wall, and end up with below average numbers. I had a chance to grab Verlander, Liriano, and Weaver, and didn't.)

Don't go with the best arm in a potential closer's situation, grab the guy who will likely get the job; managers can be idiots! (Zumaya)

i drafted 2 closers this season.. joe blow, and dave weathers.. and i got them wayy late.. a couple of the idiots said i was stupid, but i dont think they realize how easy it is to pick up closers..
rodney- got me 4 saves
tyler walker- 6 saves
jorge sosa- 3 saves
burgos- 3 saves
accardo- 2 saves
duescher- 5 saves
nelson- 4 saves
mastny- 4 saves
farnsworth- 2 saves
wainright- 1 save

and this isnt counting the 10 i picked up from weathers, or the 20 i picked up from joe blow before i traded him..
all im saying is that it is so easy if you just pay attention to the waiver wire to pick up closers, drafting them has to be the stupidest thing a manager can do..

I count 64 saves which is a pretty low total. I guess you're playing h2h where you can get away with this, but in roto, you better be kick ass in the other 9 categories to get away with only 64 saves.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:16 pm

bleach168 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:

Draft 4-5 closers

rodney- got me 4 saves
tyler walker- 6 saves
jorge sosa- 3 saves
burgos- 3 saves
accardo- 2 saves
duescher- 5 saves
nelson- 4 saves
mastny- 4 saves
farnsworth- 2 saves
wainright- 1 save

I count 64 saves which is a pretty low total. I guess you're playing h2h where you can get away with this, but in roto, you better be kick ass in the other 9 categories to get away with only 64 saves.

yeah there were a few other saves along the way from random guys.. i have 67.. and this is a 16 team league.. im 11/16 in the category, but i could have easily kept joe blow, and got more saves but its a keeper league so i was looking towards the future.. i could easily move from 11 to 14 with a couple more saves.. saves are the easiest stat to pick up, as long as ur quick to the WW and are a smart manager.. if ur a rookie then draft closers, they are tough to pick up if you dont know what ur doing..
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:25 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:

Draft 4-5 closers

rodney- got me 4 saves
tyler walker- 6 saves
jorge sosa- 3 saves
burgos- 3 saves
accardo- 2 saves
duescher- 5 saves
nelson- 4 saves
mastny- 4 saves
farnsworth- 2 saves
wainright- 1 save

yeah there were a few other saves along the way from random guys.. i have 67.. and this is a 16 team league.. im 11/16 in the category, but i could have easily kept joe blow, and got more saves but its a keeper league so i was looking towards the future.. i could easily move from 11 to 14 with a couple more saves.. saves are the easiest stat to pick up, as long as ur quick to the WW and are a smart manager.. if ur a rookie then draft closers, they are tough to pick up if you dont know what ur doing..

I disagree for deep leagues. In some leagues you can get away with not drafting closers, but in deep competitive leagues nearly every possible back up closer is taken before they come anywhere near closing. Getting at least one or two good closers you can depend on and hoping you beat others to the WW is the way to go for those leagues.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:33 pm

A common and good strategy regarding closers is to avoid the top tier guys and target the 2nd tier guys - ones that won't blow you away with ratios but are assured of a full time gig.

This year, that would have been,

Chad Cordero
Isringhausen
Hoffman
Francisco Cordero
Turnblow
Gordon
Benitez
Wickman
Jenks
Jones

Not all of them turned out great, but most of them did their job nicely. If you end up with a dud, it probably only cost you an 8th round pick which isn't going to doom you.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby brandnew » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:08 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:

Well I didn't mean Catcher, but for the most part you can pick up a similar power guy who also gets 5-10 SBs. I didn't do that this year, and it hurt me overall.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:29 pm

brandnew wrote:
tinfoilxtouch wrote:
whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:

Well I didn't mean Catcher, but for the most part you can pick up a similar power guy who also gets 5-10 SBs. I didn't do that this year, and it hurt me overall.

Yes there are some nice ones

Derrek Lee 8 (2nd among 1B), Utley, Wright, Arod, Carlos lee, holliday, bay, Beltran, Vernon, vladdy, bobby A.

Still you dont need one at every position. not in roto or h2h.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:26 pm

if you was too look at my team and i told you i was 6th in my favorite league. You would say no way. My era, whip is too high and not enough strikeouts
ttwarrior1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:45 pm

My biggest mistake ever was this pre-season, and since I missed the playoffs by a hair, I think it's safe to say it cost me a chance:

Traded Morneau and Holliday for Colon in a contract league.

Colon was under contract through 2007, and I had Tex, so I thought I didn't need Morneau.

:-P

Of course, I traded Huff for Sabathia straight up this preseason, too, so... B-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers