Tigers claim Matt Stairs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers claim Matt Stairs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers claim Matt Stairs

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Tigers claim Stairs

DETROIT -- The Tigers added a left-handed hitter today by claiming Matt Stairs on waivers from Texas. To make room, they moved Roman Colon from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL.

Stairs will not be eligible for the postseason roster.



If nothing else I'm glad they added him so no one else would add him that we play down the stretch. This guy always seems to crush Tigers pitching.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 959
Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:22 pm

A nice nothing-to-lose move. If he can do for us what he did for KC earlier this year, then we'll be wishing he was eligible for the playoffs.
.261/.352/.429 with KC before struggling a bit with the Rangers. A very good left handed bat to have, although I probably wouldn't let him play the field. Give him a shot in the role Dmitri Young had and see what happens.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:54 pm

Another slow free swinging who cannot field! Should fit right in. :-b

The way we are playing he can't hurt.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:20 am

moochman wrote:Another slow free swinging who cannot field! Should fit right in. :-b

The way we are playing he can't hurt.
Free swinger? Are we talking about the same Matt Stairs here? He can't play the field one bit and he is indeed slow (hey that sounds like DY), but that's what the DH is for. He also can't hit LHP. However, he has a career .359 OBP and career BB/K ratio is 586/869. Stairs is generally known as a very patient hitter. Even at this point in his career, he is easily one of the most proven disciplined hitters on this team, probably behind only Guillen. He's no sure thing mostly due to his age, but I like his chances based on his history when compared to the likes of Thames.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby moochman » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:
moochman wrote:Another slow free swinging who cannot field! Should fit right in. :-b

The way we are playing he can't hurt.
Free swinger? Are we talking about the same Matt Stairs here? He can't play the field one bit and he is indeed slow (hey that sounds like DY), but that's what the DH is for. He also can't hit LHP. However, he has a career .359 OBP and career BB/K ratio is 586/869. Stairs is generally known as a very patient hitter. Even at this point in his career, he is easily one of the most proven disciplined hitters on this team, probably behind only Guillen. He's no sure thing mostly due to his age, but I like his chances based on his history when compared to the likes of Thames.


My bad, I never thought of him as being all that selective.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:03 am

I have one "concern" over Stairs. Let's say he plays pretty well almost everyday vs RHP up to the point of the playoffs (not out of the question). Then we suddenly have to go on without him because we picked him up too late. How would this impact the team? Obviously making the playoffs comes before thinking about what to do when (if) they get there, but Stairs' playing time will come at the expense of guys who can play in the playoffs. An interesting situation.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Yeah, but this will give Casey time to rest his hammys. Okay, I'm reaching but I don't want to look at this line-up. I simply cannot see how these guys can hit enough to beat any of the teams in the play-offs consistantly.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:55 pm

moochman wrote:Yeah, but this will give Casey time to rest his hammys. Okay, I'm reaching but I don't want to look at this line-up. I simply cannot see how these guys can hit enough to beat any of the teams in the play-offs consistantly.
We can only hope our starters throw complete game shutouts every time out and hope we manage to push one run across the board in those games. That's how it's going to happen :-b
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI


Return to Detroit Tigers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact