Big News on the Alex Gordon Front!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Big News on the Alex Gordon Front!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:57 pm

eazyb81 wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I think they made a slight mistake here though with Gordon. Now they've come out and basically said he won't be on the opening day roster because he won't be allowed to skip AAA. But at the same time they're going to move Teahan to the of. Unless they don't plan on calling him up until September 2007 for a week or two and then opening day 2008 that's going to mean Teahan (who I would imagine would start at 3b until Gordon comes up) would have to convert from 3b to of mid-season. I really don't like that idea. I'd much rather see them let Teahan know going into the season that he's going to switch to OF...give him the entire offseason and spring training to get acclimated to the new position and then start the season (whatever season it is) with Teahan in the of and Gordon at 3b. Switching everything around mid-season...I just don't like it. It's much harder on Teahan.

Dayton Moore has mentioned that extraordinary prospects are able to forego AAA and go straight to the majors, and many in KC feel that will be the case with Gordon. Obviously Moore is old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers, but Gordon has nothing left to prove in the minors and I think Moore now realizes that.

If I had to guess, I bet Teahen starts next year in the OF and Gordon will be given every opportunity to win the 3rd base job in spring training.

See, at one point earlier in the year Moore stated unequivocally that Gordon and Butler would not be skipped a level. Not that that ties the team into sticking to that...it's just that's the last word from the team on that issue to date.

I agree with several posters here that it makes a lot of sense to open the season with Gordon in the majors. He has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues at this point.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:07 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I think they made a slight mistake here though with Gordon. Now they've come out and basically said he won't be on the opening day roster because he won't be allowed to skip AAA. But at the same time they're going to move Teahan to the of. Unless they don't plan on calling him up until September 2007 for a week or two and then opening day 2008 that's going to mean Teahan (who I would imagine would start at 3b until Gordon comes up) would have to convert from 3b to of mid-season. I really don't like that idea. I'd much rather see them let Teahan know going into the season that he's going to switch to OF...give him the entire offseason and spring training to get acclimated to the new position and then start the season (whatever season it is) with Teahan in the of and Gordon at 3b. Switching everything around mid-season...I just don't like it. It's much harder on Teahan.

Dayton Moore has mentioned that extraordinary prospects are able to forego AAA and go straight to the majors, and many in KC feel that will be the case with Gordon. Obviously Moore is old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers, but Gordon has nothing left to prove in the minors and I think Moore now realizes that.

If I had to guess, I bet Teahen starts next year in the OF and Gordon will be given every opportunity to win the 3rd base job in spring training.

See, at one point earlier in the year Moore stated unequivocally that Gordon and Butler would not be skipped a level. Not that that ties the team into sticking to that...it's just that's the last word from the team on that issue to date.

I agree with several posters here that it makes a lot of sense to open the season with Gordon in the majors. He has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues at this point.

Yeah I know, Moore has shown already that he has no problem telling the media one thing while going around and doing the opposite. He seems to be the type of guy that holds his cards close to the vest and isn't willing to let anyone know what he is really thinking. In an earlier interview, he said there was no chance Teahen would move to the outfield.

He did say that Gordon, along with every other KC prospect, would not skip any minor league levels, including AAA. He then backed off that statement in recent weeks, saying extraordinary players have a way of forcing your hand, and he couldn't rule out that Gordon would skip AAA.

If I had to guess, I say Teahen is in the outfield and Gordon is at 3rd on opening day next year. It would be hard on Teahen to switch positions in the middle of the season, so it makes a lot more sense to just make the inevitable switch in spring training.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:11 pm

eazyb81 wrote:He did say that Gordon, along with every other KC prospect, would not skip any minor league levels, including AAA. He then backed off that statement in recent weeks, saying extraordinary players have a way of forcing your hand, and he couldn't rule out that Gordon would skip AAA.

If I had to guess, I say Teahen is in the outfield and Gordon is at 3rd on opening day next year. It would be hard on Teahen to switch positions in the middle of the season, so it makes a lot more sense to just make the inevitable switch in spring training.

I completely agree with you. The ONLY reason not to bring him up for opening day would be not wanting to start the arbitration clock...he's ready, the team could use him and most importantly I need him as my opening day starter on my fantasy team. ;-7
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Surfs up » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:11 am

If I had to guess, I say Teahen is in the outfield and Gordon is at 3rd on opening day next year. It would be hard on Teahen to switch positions in the middle of the season, so it makes a lot more sense to just make the inevitable switch in spring training

I don't agree with this statement.
First off we are talking KC. They won't be competing for any titles any time soon so that won't make any difference.
Secondly . These guys are professionals. They can make changes from posistion to posistion without that much troube. Just look at Soriano going from short/second to the outfield. Arod going from short to third. Youkilis from third to first and the outfield. Just to name a few. I believe Gordon will start in AAA. The Royals will work with Teahan in ST and during the season in the outfield . When they feel Gordon is ready he will go to third and Teahan to the outfield.This really won't be a big deal.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:13 am

Now the team has reversed course on this and stated that Teahan will stay at third base 'for now'. I think the only thing that we can safely say at this point is that it's not a good idea to count on having Gordon for opening day 2007.

Here's the quote from Rotowire:

Alex Gordon (3B) KC - Sep. 19

Mark Teahen is going to remain a third baseman for now, according to The Kansas City Star.

ROTOWIRE RECOMMENDS: "Alex Gordon, is he getting closer to forcing our hand? Absolutely. He’s the minor-league player of the year, and you don’t do that without great ability," GM Dayton Moore told The Star. Last spring, it was Gordon who was expected to move from third. Things have changed.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:39 pm

Should be very interesting come next spring as to both Teahen and Gordon's defensive situations. Teahen is considered an above average defensive 3B so I would be somewhat surprised to see him moved. I think it comes to trial and error. Both will probably see some time in the OF in spring training. I really see it coming down to who adjusts faster. A new article on Alex Gordon was recently posted at:

http://www.projectprospect.com
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby NatsFan10 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:47 pm

I think it's a little silly to take MLB execs' word as gospel. One of the Royals top front office guys just said publicly that they don't wan the #1 pick, they would rather win games in September.....does anyone honestly believe that?
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball