Big News on the Alex Gordon Front!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Big News on the Alex Gordon Front!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big News on the Alex Gordon Front!!!

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:16 am

From Rotowire:

Mark Teahen (3B) KC - Sep. 14

Teahen is expected to switch positions to outfield, according to The Kansas City Star.

ROTOWIRE RECOMMENDS: This is the first mention of a move in a while. Since drafting Alex Gordon, many have wondered what the Royals would do, but much of that talk centered on moving Gordon to first or to the outfield. Entering the 2006 season, Teahen was considered an above average to excellent defensive third baseman. He has struggled at times this year, but that may be attributed, somewhat, to his shoulder woes. This will be something to watch this offseason, as Teahen's blossoming bat will have more of an impact from third than in the outfield.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:18 am

Interesting...one of my friends was just asking me about this yesterday. He was wondering if Teahen would go to 2B, though.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby brewcrew4you » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:33 am

I'd rather have Gordon move to the outfield :(

We get to keep 1 minor leaguer each year, and I have Gordon and his teammate, Billy Butler - Gordon is a no-brainer here, right?

We start 5 OF in my league, and I already have Miggy Cabrera to play 3B for me.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:38 am

I think they made a slight mistake here though with Gordon. Now they've come out and basically said he won't be on the opening day roster because he won't be allowed to skip AAA. But at the same time they're going to move Teahan to the of. Unless they don't plan on calling him up until September 2007 for a week or two and then opening day 2008 that's going to mean Teahan (who I would imagine would start at 3b until Gordon comes up) would have to convert from 3b to of mid-season. I really don't like that idea. I'd much rather see them let Teahan know going into the season that he's going to switch to OF...give him the entire offseason and spring training to get acclimated to the new position and then start the season (whatever season it is) with Teahan in the of and Gordon at 3b. Switching everything around mid-season...I just don't like it. It's much harder on Teahan.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:52 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I think they made a slight mistake here though with Gordon. Now they've come out and basically said he won't be on the opening day roster because he won't be allowed to skip AAA. But at the same time they're going to move Teahan to the of. Unless they don't plan on calling him up until September 2007 for a week or two and then opening day 2008 that's going to mean Teahan (who I would imagine would start at 3b until Gordon comes up) would have to convert from 3b to of mid-season. I really don't like that idea. I'd much rather see them let Teahan know going into the season that he's going to switch to OF...give him the entire offseason and spring training to get acclimated to the new position and then start the season (whatever season it is) with Teahan in the of and Gordon at 3b. Switching everything around mid-season...I just don't like it. It's much harder on Teahan.

Dayton Moore has mentioned that extraordinary prospects are able to forego AAA and go straight to the majors, and many in KC feel that will be the case with Gordon. Obviously Moore is old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers, but Gordon has nothing left to prove in the minors and I think Moore now realizes that.

If I had to guess, I bet Teahen starts next year in the OF and Gordon will be given every opportunity to win the 3rd base job in spring training.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:34 pm

Personally, I think the Grudz signing messed up the Royals. He's declining, old, and expensive. But what can you do? Huber in the OF with Teahen at 2B I think would have been better longterm options. Now it looks like Huber will be traded.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby shortsavage » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 pm

eazyb81 wrote:Obviously Moore is old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers, but Gordon has nothing left to prove in the minors and I think Moore now realizes that.

What do you mean by old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers?
Last edited by shortsavage on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:26 pm

shortsavage wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:Obviously Moore is old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers, but Gordon has nothing left to prove in the minors and I think Moore now realizes that.

What do you mean by old school when it comes to promoting minor leaguers?[/i]

"Old school" meaning traditional, i.e. a prospect makes a stop at every minor league level before going to the majors. Under Allard Baird, the Royals routinely rushed prospects straight from AA or High A to the majors, and most of them weren't great prospects to begin with.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby bigken117 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:34 pm

I really don't see how the Royals can't open 2007 with Gordon at 3B. Even if he struggles at the beginning he's good enough to put it together and challenge Delmon for AL ROY in 2007.
And the Royals need help in more ways than one. Gordon will be the face of that franchise for 6 years until the Sox lure him away in FA }:-)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Re: Big News on the Alex Gordon Front!!!

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:From Rotowire:

Mark Teahen (3B) KC - Sep. 14

Teahen is expected to switch positions to outfield, according to The Kansas City Star.

ROTOWIRE RECOMMENDS: This is the first mention of a move in a while. Since drafting Alex Gordon, many have wondered what the Royals would do, but much of that talk centered on moving Gordon to first or to the outfield. Entering the 2006 season, Teahen was considered an above average to excellent defensive third baseman. He has struggled at times this year, but that may be attributed, somewhat, to his shoulder woes. This will be something to watch this offseason, as Teahen's blossoming bat will have more of an impact from third than in the outfield.

Oh wow. I can't wait for spring training already just to get a glimpse of this. If Teahen does indeed go to the outfield, I think we will see Gordon in the majors to start the year. ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball