Bonds is Coming Back! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds is Coming Back!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:42 pm

rib217 wrote:I didnt know that needed to be stated in baseball rules that ILLEGAL substances arent allowed in the game. I suppose they could chill in the dug out and snort a few lines of other illegal substaces then?? its not in the rulebook is it?

Dozens of players have been found guilty of using illegal drugs, including cocaine, with nobody calling to have their records taken away and have them kicked out of the game. If this were the case we'd have to strip the '86 Mets of their World Series title and retroactively give it to the Sox.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:43 pm

rib217 wrote:Please just dont defend his steroid use. You and I both know he used them, you and I both know he knowingly used them. Despite whether or not you are gonna say he hasnt been found guilty blah blah, we all know he did. Stick to the argument that works.

Why can't someone say that he has most likely used steroids, but still defend his steroid use? That's my stance anyway.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:44 pm

DK wrote:
rib217 wrote:If all you bonds fans want to argue his stats before the questionable steroid period...so be it...you still have incredibly valid points for him being outstanding. Even if you want to use his steroid stats, once again...so be it. Afterall, who know how many guys were or are using it.

Please just dont defend his steroid use. You and I both know he used them, you and I both know he knowingly used them. Despite whether or not you are gonna say he hasnt been found guilty blah blah, we all know he did. Stick to the argument that works. In the past he was an amazing ball player, with the aid of steroids he was an insanely good ball player. A cheater like many others but still an insanely good ball player with the roids.

Steroids weren't against baseball rules until 2003...

Since 2003 Bonds has never failed a drug test...

You beat me to it this time. ;-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
rib217 wrote:Please just dont defend his steroid use. You and I both know he used them, you and I both know he knowingly used them. Despite whether or not you are gonna say he hasnt been found guilty blah blah, we all know he did. Stick to the argument that works.

Why can't someone say that he has most likely used steroids, but still defend his steroid use? That's my stance anyway.

Mine too.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Deuce » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Because like EA sports...
It's in the game
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 pm

rib217 wrote:
DK wrote:
rib217 wrote:If all you bonds fans want to argue his stats before the questionable steroid period...so be it...you still have incredibly valid points for him being outstanding. Even if you want to use his steroid stats, once again...so be it. Afterall, who know how many guys were or are using it.

Please just dont defend his steroid use. You and I both know he used them, you and I both know he knowingly used them. Despite whether or not you are gonna say he hasnt been found guilty blah blah, we all know he did. Stick to the argument that works. In the past he was an amazing ball player, with the aid of steroids he was an insanely good ball player. A cheater like many others but still an insanely good ball player with the roids.

dyuen87 wrote:get out of the game and leave the record intact, you cheater. :-t

The only intact record is Harmon Killebrew's. Check the sig. O:-)

And you'd better not listen to Tav; he's so far off base on this issue. Next he's going to say that Michael Jordan holds the career HR record. Isn't that right? Aren't you biased against all true baseball players, Tav? Just admit it. You know it's true.

I didnt know that needed to be stated in baseball rules that ILLEGAL substances arent allowed in the game. I suppose they could chill in the dug out and snort a few lines of other illegal substaces then?? its not in the rulebook is it?

So what if he was taking cocaine? Or smoking marijuana? Would you want his records stricken from the books then, too?

Tons of ballplayers take drugs, be the ones I mentioned above, steroids, greenies, PEDs... and I don't see them chasing Hank Aaron. Go be bitter in private, and let those of us who are enjoying watching a legend and the greatest hitter of our generation actually continue to enjoy it, while you look at black and white photographs, idolizing ghosts who committed equal 'crimes', given the time period.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby rib217 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:50 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
rib217 wrote:
DK wrote:

dyuen87 wrote:get out of the game and leave the record intact, you cheater. :-t

The only intact record is Harmon Killebrew's. Check the sig. O:-)

And you'd better not listen to Tav; he's so far off base on this issue. Next he's going to say that Michael Jordan holds the career HR record. Isn't that right? Aren't you biased against all true baseball players, Tav? Just admit it. You know it's true.

I didnt know that needed to be stated in baseball rules that ILLEGAL substances arent allowed in the game. I suppose they could chill in the dug out and snort a few lines of other illegal substaces then?? its not in the rulebook is it?

So what if he was taking cocaine? Or smoking marijuana? Would you want his records stricken from the books then, too?

Tons of ballplayers take drugs, be the ones I mentioned above, steroids, greenies, PEDs... and I don't see them chasing Hank Aaron. Go be bitter in private, and let those of us who are enjoying watching a legend and the greatest hitter of our generation actually continue to enjoy it, while you look at black and white photographs, idolizing ghosts who committed equal 'crimes', given the time period.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth all of you. Show anywhere where I said Bonds records should be stricken??? I actually made the statement than tons of players are or have used. My argument was for you not to act like he didnt take them. I told you all to argue his stats, not defend his use of roids. READ POSTS BEFORE YOU ATTACK THE POSTER.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:13 pm

i think the real reason people are so down on bonds is that he is, in fact, a total jerk. i think if he were, say, dontrelle, a genuinely nice guy that everyone loves, there wouldnt be so much hatred towards him and the records. thats the thing for me though, bonds took steroids, great, but now hes planning on coming back another season, to shamelessly attempt to beat the greatest record in all of sports for sheer personal glory. he does not care about the giants, he does not care if he hurts the team and their chances at success. he does not care about helping younger players or signing balls for fans. barry bonds only cares about himself and his own personal glory, and for that reason and that reason alone i hope and pray that bonds retires so we do not have to witness an egomaniac being celebrated by tons of people.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:57 pm

slomo007 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Does anyone else think that Bonds passing Ruth was a bigger story in the media than Bonds passing Aaron will be?

I think from the media stand point the Aaron record will far surpass Babe's American League record.

Really? If you ask the casual baseball fan who is the HR king, the answer will almost always be Babe Ruth. The casual fan doesn't even know about Hank Aaron being the leader.

Well so far Slomo you are 1 for 6. I have asked 3 people that work for me and 3 customers who I knew well enough to know that they did not follow baseball extremely well. Only one so far has given me the answer of Babe Ruth, the other 5 all said Aaron. But to make sure, I will continue asking around today and see how the answers come up.

Interesting....well keep us updated. I definitely would have expected more of a 60/40 split.

Did not end up real well for you slomo. Of course though the East Coast is so much smarter then the West Coast, so that might have had something to do with it as well. ;-7 I ended up asking 20 people total today, and only 3 of them thought Babe Ruth was the home run champ. 16 said Hank Aaron, and get this 1 said Sammy Sosa :-b :-b . I assume he got Sosa from the WGN channel and the run that Sosa put up about 5 years ago as far as homers go. I asked people from ages of 16 all the way up to the 70s. Of course in a town of 50,000, 20 people is definitely not a good sample size to use, but it was enough for me to see that most people do indeed realize that Aaron is the champ.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:29 am

raiders_umpire wrote:

Did not end up real well for you slomo. Of course though the East Coast is so much smarter then the West Coast, so that might have had something to do with it as well. ;-7 I ended up asking 20 people total today, and only 3 of them thought Babe Ruth was the home run champ. 16 said Hank Aaron, and get this 1 said Sammy Sosa :-b :-b . I assume he got Sosa from the WGN channel and the run that Sosa put up about 5 years ago as far as homers go. I asked people from ages of 16 all the way up to the 70s. Of course in a town of 50,000, 20 people is definitely not a good sample size to use, but it was enough for me to see that most people do indeed realize that Aaron is the champ.

that is interesting, I would of figured the number would have been slightly higher .. But still, roughly 20% based upon your sample size doesn't bode well..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers