Bonds is Coming Back! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds is Coming Back!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Apollo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:36 am

Tavish, I go away for a while and come back to find that Harmon Killebrew is no longer the real homerun champ.

What happened?! :-)
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:41 am

Apollo wrote:Tavish, I go away for a while and come back to find that Harmon Killebrew is no longer the real homerun champ.

What happened?! :-)

I wouldn't consider anyone who played in the era of Greenies, small parks, expansion, the DH, or clumsy "swing from the heels" hitters as the real homerun champ. Hitting homeruns should be more than simply closing your eyes, swinging hard, then trotting around the bases. Players from Connor's era hit real homeruns, it took power and speed to do what they did.

You might have me confused with DK who has been blinded by the media with the whole "Killebrew hit real homeruns" campaign they run. I don't buy it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:09 pm

slomo007 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Does anyone else think that Bonds passing Ruth was a bigger story in the media than Bonds passing Aaron will be?

I think from the media stand point the Aaron record will far surpass Babe's American League record.

Really? If you ask the casual baseball fan who is the HR king, the answer will almost always be Babe Ruth. The casual fan doesn't even know about Hank Aaron being the leader.

Well so far Slomo you are 1 for 6. I have asked 3 people that work for me and 3 customers who I knew well enough to know that they did not follow baseball extremely well. Only one so far has given me the answer of Babe Ruth, the other 5 all said Aaron. But to make sure, I will continue asking around today and see how the answers come up.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:11 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Does anyone else think that Bonds passing Ruth was a bigger story in the media than Bonds passing Aaron will be?

I think from the media stand point the Aaron record will far surpass Babe's American League record.

Really? If you ask the casual baseball fan who is the HR king, the answer will almost always be Babe Ruth. The casual fan doesn't even know about Hank Aaron being the leader.

Well so far Slomo you are 1 for 6. I have asked 3 people that work for me and 3 customers who I knew well enough to know that they did not follow baseball extremely well. Only one so far has given me the answer of Babe Ruth, the other 5 all said Aaron. But to make sure, I will continue asking around today and see how the answers come up.

Interesting....well keep us updated. I definitely would have expected more of a 60/40 split.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Tavish wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:After all his talk about how "it wasn't about the record" and that he wouldn't be back next season...........

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

yea i cant believe an adulterer/drug fiend would lie about his retirement. :-o

No doubt about it, that Roger Clemens guy is a scumbag.

haha...if people start to criticize Bonds for changing his mind on retirement, that will make it evident that they just have a vendetta against him. I think the number of players who HAVEN'T flip flopped on retirement is smaller than the number who have.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Deuce » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Barry Bonds holds the single season homerun record, soon he will hold the NL homerun record. Next comes the all time homerun record.
When the ball clears the playing field in fair territory, in the air, that is a Homerun. Barry does it better than anyone in baseball history. Hopefully at the end of next season, the blinders will come off and you will all agree with me.
If you don't agree, you're simply fooling yourself.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Tavish wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:After all his talk about how "it wasn't about the record" and that he wouldn't be back next season...........

haha...if people start to criticize Bonds for changing his mind on retirement, that will make it evident that they just have a vendetta against him. I think the number of players who HAVEN'T flip flopped on retirement is smaller than the number who have.

There's a difference between reneging because you love baseball and reneging because you just have to have that record.

And you won't find me cheering on Clemens. Guy's gonna set a new record for retirements in a career. :-[
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:24 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Tavish wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

There's a difference between reneging because you love baseball and reneging because you just have to have that record.

And you won't find me cheering on Clemens. Guy's gonna set a new record for retirements in a career. :-[

There's also a difference between knowing something to be true, and assuming something to be true because it's what you want to believe.

We let players play well past their usefulness all the time in every sport without saying boo. This guy's still one of the most feared hitters in the game, and I assure you he'll catch more flak for playing the game he loves and trying to win a title than Roger Clemens and Michael Jordan combined.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:There's also a difference between knowing something to be true, and assuming something to be true because it's what you want to believe.

Where a few months ago he was ready to hang it up after this year, he's now suddenly ready to have surgery to come back for another season. There hasn't been any sort of event regarding him that would have reinforced a passion in baseball so greatly, but he is now within striking distance of Aaron's record.

It's not about knowing. It's about inferencing, and connecting the dots.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:43 pm

That's great. Go Barry. ;-D ;-D

I've recently found myself rooting for the Giants to get into the postseason. I'd love to see him win a title to go along with all the personal stats. B-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers