Bonds is Coming Back! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds is Coming Back!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:12 am

raiders_umpire wrote:It is no shock to me at all that he is coming back next year. I think the Giants would be crazy to let him walk even with his lack of defense in LF, as the hype around home run #750-756 will be huge. I would only hope that he does indeed give the Giants a huge hometeam discount and not go for the highest bidder. ;-D

I'd imagine that's likely. I mean, it can't be all about the money at this point in his career, surely? If he's considering retirement as the alternative, so long as he isn't insulted, he'll stay put.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby The Big Stick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:12 am

OREO fan wrote:
Tavish wrote:
OREO fan wrote:wrveres and a few others - why do you guys like Bonds so much? Is it just because you think he has been treated unfairly by the media/MLB/federal investigators? What is it about him that makes you root for him?

Pretty simple for me. He's the greatest player I've ever seen, legendary players don't come around often.

I was just curious. He is the greatest player I have ever seen as well, but I can't stand him.

I have become an Alex Rodriguez (and Peyton Manning) fan simply because I keep rooting for them to shut up all of the people out there who bash them with no basis for their arguments. I was just wondering if the same thing was going on with Bonds. I have not rallied around Bonds simply due to the fact that I believe that he used PED's and that from everything I have read, he just seems like a jerk.

Often times, sports fans get carried away with players and the various personalities. These guys are not paid to kiss our feet they are paid to produce numbers. At the end of the day, none of these guy are my friends, family members or associates. I really don't care how much of a jerk or how nice they are as long as they do there jobs. Think of your office, I bet those who produce the most are hated the most due to jealous and envy.
Bonds, Jordon and Woods are 3 of the best athletes of my era. I love him because of what he has accomplished from a numbers standpoint. As far as the allegations with steroids, he still hasn't been proven GUILTY.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:13 am

Does anyone else think that Bonds passing Ruth was a bigger story in the media than Bonds passing Aaron will be?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:16 am

slomo007 wrote:Does anyone else think that Bonds passing Ruth was a bigger story in the media than Bonds passing Aaron will be?

no way in hell.

as much as i hate bonds it would be pretty funny to see how bud would handle all of this.
Last edited by The Miner Part 2 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:16 am

slomo007 wrote:Does anyone else think that Bonds passing Ruth was a bigger story in the media than Bonds passing Aaron will be?

I think from the media stand point the Aaron record will far surpass Babe's American League record.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:17 am

After all his talk about how "it wasn't about the record" and that he wouldn't be back next season...........

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:20 am

raiders_umpire wrote:

I think from the media stand point the Aaron record will far surpass Babe's American League record.

Really? If you ask the casual baseball fan who is the HR king, the answer will almost always be Babe Ruth. The casual fan doesn't even know about Hank Aaron being the leader.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:22 am

slomo007 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Really? If you ask the casual baseball fan who is the HR king, the answer will almost always be Babe Ruth. The casual fan doesn't even know about Hank Aaron being the leader.

eh i dont know if i believe that. but regardless of what people know now, espn will pump americas ears with hank arron/barry bonds till our ears can take no mo!
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 am

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:After all his talk about how "it wasn't about the record" and that he wouldn't be back next season...........

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

yea i cant believe an adulterer/drug fiend would lie about his retirement. :-o
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

eh i dont know if i believe that. but regardless of what people know now, espn will pump americas ears with hank arron/barry bonds till our ears can take no mo!

Try it today...go up to someone who doesn't know a lot about baseball but also isn't completely clueless (ie, the casual fan). Just say, who has hit the most HRs in the history of baseball?

I agree that ESPN will probably pump it, but I can hardly forget how ridiculously they pumped it when he passed Ruth. :-P
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers