Yankees fans?!? Who are we rooting for WildCard? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Yankees fans?!? Who are we rooting for WildCard?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees fans?!? Who are we rooting for WildCard?

Postby rib217 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Ive eliminated the Angels and the Red Sox from my mind as possible Wild Cards. I believe its down to the Twins, Tigers, and White Sox in the Central battle. I think I am most scared of the Twins, even without Liriano.

As of right now, i believe i want the Twins to take the division and the Tigers to take the Wild Card, Not have to deal with the White Sox and have the Tigers instead of the Twins first round.

Whats everyone else thinking? feeling?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:08 pm

blllllarg
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:09 pm

As long as the Angels are out, I'm satisfied.

I'm not as worried about the Twins without Liriano and knowing Santana doesn't completely own the Yankees in the playoffs, but I still do think they're a good team (their bullpen is scary). Unless the White Sox pitching gets hot like it did last year while their offense can compete with the best in the AL, I'm indifferent between the Twins/White Sox. Out of the three central teams, I think the Tigers would give the Yankees the least amount of trouble.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby noseeum » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:17 pm

We're Yankee fans! We don't care who wins the Wild Card. We're going to the Series no matter what.

Get that swagger back on, folks. We're taking all comers this year. :-D

Edit: Deleted my complete screwup of playoff matchups.
Last edited by noseeum on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rib217 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:29 pm

noseeum wrote:The don't let the Wild Card play the winner from the same division, so the Yanks are playing the A's in the first round.

That said, we're Yankee fans! We don't care who wins the Wild Card. We're going to the Series no matter what.

if the Twins, Tigers, or White Sox are the Wild Card they would play the Yankees. as the Twins, White Sox and Tigers are all in the same division....am i missing something?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm gonna say the Twins. They have a weak lineup and a poor pitching staff.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm

rib217 wrote:
noseeum wrote:The don't let the Wild Card play the winner from the same division, so the Yanks are playing the A's in the first round.

That said, we're Yankee fans! We don't care who wins the Wild Card. We're going to the Series no matter what.

if the Twins, Tigers, or White Sox are the Wild Card they would play the Yankees. as the Twins, White Sox and Tigers are all in the same division....am i missing something?

Haha. You're right. What the heck was I thinking? Rubbing cobwebs from my eyes. I state the rule then screw it all up. LOL.

Sorry about that.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:27 pm

If I were the Yankees I would want the Tigers, who I believe they have dominated so far this season, IIRC :-? Even if not, I think it's still the safer match up.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CircleMeBert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:03 pm

1337_Dude wrote:I'm gonna say the Twins. They have a weak lineup and a poor pitching staff.

uhh, the Twins happen to be tied for the Major League lead in batting avg., 2nd in the AL in ERA, and BY FAR the lowest Bullpen ERA.
CircleMeBert
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnsamo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:30 pm

IF I were the Yanks, I wouldn't want in to play in order...

(1) The Angels - The Angels always seem to have the Yanks # in a playoffs, and I think are the only AL team with a winning record against the Yanks over the past few years. Lackey and Weaver have the talent to be a dominant 1 and 2 punch to any team, and Vladdy often takes it up a notch when it counts and can hit ANY PITCH thrown by ANYBODY and can carry a team. Napoli is capable of scary power streaks too. He's so far a feast or famine guy, but you don't want to pitch to him when he's feasting, and Juan Rivera would love to bury the Yanks. And K-Rod has been lights out closing this last half.
(2) Chisox - repeating champs, Thome could get hot, the SPs the same. Good solid team that like the Angels won't be intimidated by Yankee mystique.
(3) The Twins... Santana and that bullpen are tough. .
(4) That leaves the Tigers, and frankly, None of their SPs scare me as much as their win loss record should and Todd Jones is not an elite closer. And two key pitchers would be rooks, Verlander and Zunaya, how do they handle that playoff pressure? Who know?
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to New York Yankees