Down Goes LIRIANO

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:42 pm

Threw a slider in the 2nd, and had to leave. Ouch
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:48 pm

The Twins are stupid to even try and bring him back this year. Just shut him down. Don't get greedy!
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:48 pm

Can't say it's a suprise they shouldn't have brought him back at all this year. I have said that from the time he got hurt. But the Twins handled this really poorly an might have ruined the best SP to come around in many years. :-?
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:57 pm

Philly_05 wrote:Can't say it's a suprise they shouldn't have brought him back at all this year. I have said that from the time he got hurt. But the Twins handled this really poorly an might have ruined the best SP to come around in many years. :-?

i don't think they could have ruined him on two innings of work...they were very smart to bring him out of the game at the first sign of problems and that may very well have saved him

futhermore everything showed that liriano was ready to go for this start...given the tight situation that the twins are in right now they had to give him a shot...it's not like they could just let someone who they felt was completely heathy sit on the bench when they really need him

i just hope they remain as cautious as possible with him
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:09 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:Can't say it's a suprise they shouldn't have brought him back at all this year. I have said that from the time he got hurt. But the Twins handled this really poorly an might have ruined the best SP to come around in many years. :-?

i don't think they could have ruined him on two innings of work...they were very smart to bring him out of the game at the first sign of problems and that may very well have saved him

futhermore everything showed that liriano was ready to go for this start...given the tight situation that the twins are in right now they had to give him a shot...it's not like they could just let someone who they felt was completely heathy sit on the bench when they really need him

i just hope they remain as cautious as possible with him

It was a very poor choice I don't expect Twin fans to agree but the kid should never have been brought back this season. :-t
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:32 pm

Are we looking at a Tommy John situation here potentially?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigpapi3434 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:55 pm

thank god i made it to the semi's without him, least i got johan and carpenter to balance it out
bigpapi3434
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby costag » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:17 pm

nathan050904 wrote:The Twins are stupid to even try and bring him back this year. Just shut him down. Don't get greedy!

As a phillies fan, I can tell you that I am happy they didn't shut down Hamels after hearing a "pop" in his shoulder/arm back in June. He has been stellar since then. Sometimes you gotta take the chance if the pitcher shows he is ok to come back.

As for Liriano, they should have rested him longer and saved him for the post season when it really counts. If it were earlier in the season I would say bring him back but it is too close to the playoffs and they could have really used his talent. They were doing fine without him. Now they're gonna have to eat crow.
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:25 pm

costag wrote:
nathan050904 wrote:The Twins are stupid to even try and bring him back this year. Just shut him down. Don't get greedy!

As a phillies fan, I can tell you that I am happy they didn't shut down Hamels after hearing a "pop" in his shoulder/arm back in June. He has been stellar since then. Sometimes you gotta take the chance if the pitcher shows he is ok to come back.

As for Liriano, they should have rested him longer and saved him for the post season when it really counts. If it were earlier in the season I would say bring him back but it is too close to the playoffs and they could have really used his talent. They were doing fine without him. Now they're gonna have to eat crow.

that's exactly what i've been saying since he got hurt...if the twins make the playoffs then bring him back and see what he can do, if not then too bad...it's the risk is just too high to bring him back in the regular season

still i stand behind the twins decision to bring him back...it may have been the wrong decision but they made it for all the right reasons...they are in a very close race to make the playoffs, their pitching rotation is in shambles right now, and yesterday liriano appeared completely healthy...now i just hope they realize their mistake and let him sit out the rest of the year
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jealousblues » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:36 pm

so he is done for the year right?

oh, well at least I had him for two more scoreless innings this year. Hope he heals for next year. He has been very good.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates